+ Maatta
+ Bortuzzo
+ Kobasew for Mighty Ducking (no pun intended) Ott
+ Glass for pissing a few guys off

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Cracking game. Really enjoyed that. Shame Fleury didn't get his shut-out. Kobasew looks really good.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Is it wrong to wonder if he'd be a better 3rd line center than Sutter given the makeup of this team? I'm not saying I necessarily believe he is mind you.

No. I've also wondered if Jokinen would be a better third line centre than Sutter a time or two. IDK if either would be, but I've thought about it.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
WBS thumped Bridgeport 5-2 tonight.

Goals from Harrington and two goals apiece from Conner and Zolnierczyk.

I didn't see it, but it looks like it was a rough game, tons of PIMs on both sides.

Late goals are a killer. Was 2-1 Bridgeport until Conner put in a rebound with 2.2 seconds left in the 2nd period.

Somewhat disappointing to see Deslauriers as the starter, but he did the job. Next Baby Pens game isn't for a week.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
While Neal's out, I really want to see Jeffrey build chemistry with Sutter and Beau with Geno. A guy like Jokinen could then become expendable in a deal for a player that better fits our needs up front. Yes, yes I know Nisky is the board's official odd man out, but if the team is keeping him this year, then that's another option down the road.

Sid looks like he's back in 2010 form. When 87 realizes the play needs to begin and finish with him, that's when he's at his best. Not forcing passes or playing lazy hockey. He's attacking and shooting the puck constantly. And with his linemates looking like Boston playoff form, that's a good thing.

Malkin has impressed me the most though. He looks beastly out there. And really seems to want an MVP type year. It was touched on by a few posters, but I think this new defensive posture plays to his strengths. Seems to be more dominant in all three zones.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hard to believe Kobasew couldn't find a job for so long. Such a solid veteran player.

The system looks different this year. I don't know if it'll help them get further in the playoffs but it's refreshing to see they're actually doing some different things. I was tired of watching the same old crap.

He's their X factor for me. The System I'm sure is highly dictated through Martin's adjustments.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Much of what I think has already been posted here multiple times.

Ideally for me when everyone is healthy:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Sutter-Kobasew
Jeffrey-Vitale-Adams
Glass

With how Duper has been just these games...I think his uhhhh "talents" would be better for the 3rd line. Those lines are very well balanced and I like them but I get the whole Bylsma thing.

That works, but I just don't think Bennett has the necessary tools to supplant anyone on the best line in hockey.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's still early with Sutter, but I sometimes wonder if the team would be any worse for wear if Jeffrey was centering that line instead.

Kunitz, Crosby, Bennett
Jokinen, Malkin, Neal
Dupuis, Jeffrey, Kobasew
Glass, Vitale, Adams

I like Sutter, but there are moments when I watch him and wonder is he really a good fit or do we hope he is and are manifesting it when we see him play, he's lanky, but hasn't bulked up at all yet to play the game the Pens need him to, the mistake might be that we hope he could be a Staal type, but I don't think he will ever be that type of guy, ever.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
- that's the Maatta I'm used to seeing.

- Bort is showing everything I hoped he would. Now he just has to be consistent.

- BB was dancing again. I really hope DB doesn't stifle his creativity. Every time he tries a move and it doesn't work, I'm worried he will get benched.

The edge work he used in the NZ to pull the puck backhand to forehand and smoke the pressing fwd was Datyukian. Seeing him finally bust out his stick handling is fun.

- big minus to Cole for not giving Jeffrey a plus. Amazing what he can do with some real ice time and the coal miners removed from his legs.

1. BB shouldn't take a shift without Sid (which sadly won't happen) or Geno (which even with Neal out is a question mark sometimes). What I wouldn't give to have two or three of him littered in this lineup, guys who can make plays when a good defensive team collapses on Sid or Geno.

2. Are you really surprised by Maatta? He's going to improve with each game. There will be a few more softies, but, if memory serves, the last four (up to the 10th game) are home against Vancouver, Isles, and Colorado and at Philly. He'll some some talent guys and some talented guys with size. Am really anxious to see how he holds up. IMO, another really impressive thing is how he and Borts complement one another. They accentuate each others strengths.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
While Neal's out, I really want to see Jeffrey build chemistry with Sutter and Beau with Geno. A guy like Jokinen could then become expendable in a deal for a player that better fits our needs up front. Yes, yes I know Nisky is the board's official odd man out, but if the team is keeping him this year, then that's another option down the road.

So we're back on the JJ is expendable eh. Super.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Oh come on, you know New Jersey won't be drafting in the top 5.

You are correct. Forgot all about their pick. Damn you Kovulchuk!

I also forgot about the Canes, but at least they bring a little bit of offensive firepower. Should be more of a test for the D.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
It's still early with Sutter, but I sometimes wonder if the team would be any worse for wear if Jeffrey was centering that line instead.

Kunitz, Crosby, Bennett
Jokinen, Malkin, Neal
Dupuis, Jeffrey, Kobasew
Glass, Vitale, Adams

I like Sutter, but there are moments when I watch him and wonder is he really a good fit or do we hope he is and are manifesting it when we see him play, he's lanky, but hasn't bulked up at all yet to play the game the Pens need him to, the mistake might be that we hope he could be a Staal type, but I don't think he will ever be that type of guy, ever.

Well I'd get rid of Glass far before Sutter. He could still be a 4th line center and move Vitale to wing since he has the speed and mentality to play there as well.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You have to love the instant chemistry.

Määttä should and will get sent down after his trial, no point in us burning a year of control when he's a luxury and not a necessity, but he could be a full-timer this year. Bort has definitely taken about five steps forward, and as long as he's in the line-up consistently I expect him to continue his improvement.

It's really refreshing to see Engelland in the press box to start the year. I love him as a #7 option, I just wasn't trusting Danny to use him as such. I think it's safe to say that Bortuzzo has officially passed him up on the depth chart.

At some point, it might behoove the coaching staff to see how much of a luxury Maatta is. If Nisky-Borts is going to be your pairing moving forward, then let's see them together for a few shifts a period. No harm in playing Maatta with Scuds. We already know he can make anyone look good, not that Maatta needs it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
WBS thumped Bridgeport 5-2 tonight.

Goals from Harrington and two goals apiece from Conner and Zolnierczyk.

I didn't see it, but it looks like it was a rough game, tons of PIMs on both sides.

Screw Z. Adams scores at the NHL level.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Not for me. He's extremely versatile too just like Jeffrey. You don't get rid of players like that. Those are the players this team needs to be able to fill in for injuries. They can literally play anywhere up and down the lineup. The players you get rid of first are the ones who only bring one specific thing to the team.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
He's their X factor for me. The System I'm sure is highly dictated through Martin's adjustments.

Yeah, I don't really care who's making the changes or adjustments. Just that changes and adjustments are being made. Martin was a great hire. Best move the Pens have made in a long time, imo.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

If Jeffrey is dynamite with Sutter, Beau the same with Geno when Neal returns. Then yeah, he kinda is. Especially if a team interested in him would deal a forward that better fit our needs.

Just bringing up an alternative to the trade Nisky for pucks stuff.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Sid looks like he's back in 2010 form. When 87 realizes the play needs to begin and finish with him, that's when he's at his best. Not forcing passes or playing lazy hockey. He's attacking and shooting the puck constantly. And with his linemates looking like Boston playoff form, that's a good thing.

Malkin has impressed me the most though. He looks beastly out there. And really seems to want an MVP type year. It was touched on by a few posters, but I think this new defensive posture plays to his strengths. Seems to be more dominant in all three zones.

On the first bolded point: Sid looking like 2010 form is good given that his linemates are in their Boston form . . . unless, of course, we play Boston.

On the second bolded point, methinks we'll end up seeing the 2007-2009 defensive Geno if this is, systemically, how the Pens are going to play. Just better suited to that than the run and gun 200 foot style. I think Neal is too, and Bennett.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well I'd get rid of Glass far before Sutter. He could still be a 4th line center and move Vitale to wing since he has the speed and mentality to play there as well.

That wasn't a line-up with Sutter traded, that was a line-up with Sutter sitting, just an example of "do we really need Sutter? Would we be worse off with Jeffrey there?" type of scenario. I like Jeffrey's hockey IQ, he's improved a lot over the last 2yrs and it would suck to see him get moved so he can thrive elsewhere when the team hasn't really looked at him as a 3rd line C option, which they should have, if the Pens were to move Sutter, yeah I would go after a top 6 winger for Malkin's line and move Beau up to Sid's line.

I like Dupers, but his contract is going to suck after this season is over.

doob

Jan 9, 2011
+ Structure......Martin's doing?

Anywayz, Seems weird to enjoy a game and wondering if and when its going blow up the way your use to seeing. :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not for me. He's extremely versatile too just like Jeffrey. You don't get rid of players like that. Those are the players this team needs to be able to fill in for injuries. They can literally play anywhere up and down the lineup. The players you get rid of first are the ones who only bring one specific thing to the team.

I think you play him down the lineup though when Neal returns. Geno will be fine with JJ, but he'll be better with Bennett. If you're not going to play Bennett with Sid, then he belongs with Geno. This team is going to need Geno dominating when tough defensive matchups come in the playoffs, especially if Bylsma insists upon anchoring Sid (or Sid insists upon anchoring himself) with Kunitz AND Dupuis.

JJ and Jeffrey make Glass and Adams expendable, although it won't happen that way.

EDIT: Now, if Sutter doesn't get his **** together soon . . .

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Seconded. I mean, Jesus Christ, our top six didn't even make it to the season healthy.

I think Sutter might be the expendable player right now if anything.

KCD needs to die a swift death and Dupuis might be the one to do it, eventually even Bylsma's thick skull may be penetrated. Adams has more goals than Dupuis and equal points, FFS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad