Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Pens vs. Sabres

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's always looked good as a 3rd liner. And he's probably one of our most versatile forwards. Why people want to cut him loose is beyond me.

What, you expect him to play instead of Tanner Glass? :shakehead

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
++ Crosby is shooting again and just looking really good in general on a crap line. So many FO's. Also a better start than I remember from him.
+ Fleury, he looks good.
+ Scuderi, Martin, Maatta and Bortuzzo all look great.
+ Bennett, he's just so good.
+ Malkin was hustling.
+ Kobasew, effort and good results.
+ Jeffrey
+ Glassic was created.
+ The hilarity of a high scoring Adams.

- The Fleury situation, I don't feel like he's been challenged and the regular season isn't the problem.
- Kunitz and Dupuis on the 1st line, it's not good, it's ****.
- Dupuis in particular looks bad.
- Gladkin should not be a thing.
- Orpik and Niskanen are messes who are getting covered for right now.
- JMB, I don't find it to be a balanced line. Not bad (it's good, really good, even), just not right.
- Sutter, he's not looking good and he needs to put on muscle. If he can't do that then it's a major problem.
- The lines remain a problem.
- High scoring Adams will encourage the moron.
- Whatever the hell happened to Jeffrey's mouth.

The pluses are hard to assess against a team like this, some of the minuses are bigger problems if they're seen here.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
What, you expect him to play instead of Tanner Glass? :shakehead

Sorry what was I thinking? Wanting to dress one of our most versatile forwards who usually plays pretty well over a guy who is not a good hockey player? Man I must be off my meds again.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You cannot give them minuses because of their opponent. They are dominating them as they should be. That's not a bad thing. We cannot be that negative.

I agree the success of this team is all about the playoffs now. But we have to do what we have to do to get there. They are showcasing that in 2 games.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You cannot give them minuses because of their opponent. They are dominating them as they should be. That's not a bad thing. We cannot be that negative.

I agree the success of this team is all about the playoffs now. But we have to do what we have to do to get there. They are showcasing that in 2 games.

I second this.

Just enjoy the season everyone. Can you? I have my doubts.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Their attention to detail on defense is incredibly encouraging.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Myers needs to play low and get some freaking strength. I've never seen such a big guy play more like a wuss. He has no anger in his body. He plays like a big wuss.

Maybe not quite that big, but I can think of one particular 6'4" defenseman who makes Tyler Myers look like Scott Stevens. :laugh:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
2 points against a lousy team.

If they played FLA or CLG next they could compete the trifecta of playing the worst NHL teams this year. Top five drafting will be Buf, FLA, CLG, NJ, NSH.

Crosby looks good starting the season. Scuderi is so solid you don't even notice him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Much of what I think has already been posted here multiple times.

Ideally for me when everyone is healthy:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Sutter-Kobasew
Jeffrey-Vitale-Adams
Glass

With how Duper has been just these games...I think his uhhhh "talents" would be better for the 3rd line. Those lines are very well balanced and I like them but I get the whole Bylsma thing.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I just wish Bylsma wasn't a 3rd/4th liner and maybe never played in the big show. He plays Adams and Glass way too much imo.

Geno and Sid should get actual PK time. If you're double shifting Geno put players who can actually get shots on the net off his plays etc. on his wings.

Thats not a knock on the way Glaadams are playing. Against 2 weaker teams, they've played admirably but they've just played too much.

I love what i'm seeing defensively. Like all the points people hit on. Some controlled breakouts. Puck support. Collapsing. Scuderi's influence.

With Fluery, it's about conditioning his mind to continue to play the way he is for 60min's a night in between the whistles. Ideally, by the time you hit the post-season, all the good things we're seeing will be prevalent cuz they've been embedded over the course of the season.

It's still early though. Want to see how he fairs when were down 1 or 2 goals/playing against better offenses. But it's a great start for him.

Moebius

Aug 16, 2011
Jeffrey -- DJ Jazzy Jeff -- is one of those players that comes up big in the playoffs, when you've got that depth. I hope we don't dump him.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hard to believe Kobasew couldn't find a job for so long. Such a solid veteran player.

The system looks different this year. I don't know if it'll help them get further in the playoffs but it's refreshing to see they're actually doing some different things. I was tired of watching the same old crap.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

If they played FLA or CLG next they could compete the trifecta of playing the worst NHL teams this year. Top five drafting will be Buf, FLA, CLG, NJ, NSH.

Crosby looks good starting the season. Scuderi is so solid you don't even notice him.

Oh come on, you know New Jersey won't be drafting in the top 5.

tumblr_mcr9cnr5FK1rjkhayo1_500.gif

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

We play Canes next, they will be a bad team probably. Also their best D is gone for season, perhaps career.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Jeffrey -- DJ Jazzy Jeff -- is one of those players that comes up big in the playoffs, when you've got that depth. I hope we don't dump him.

He should be playing over Adams and Glass 100% of the time and plays just fine at wing.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ Määttä-Bort: both looked good.
+ Sid.
+ JJ-Geno-Beau line was really good.
+ Scuds. Solid playing again.
+ Kobasew.
+ Jeffrey.
+ Fleury played good game.
+ Win.

= Kunitz.

- Duper.
- Sabres.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
- that's the Maatta I'm used to seeing.

- Bort is showing everything I hoped he would. Now he just has to be consistent.

- BB was dancing again. I really hope DB doesn't stifle his creativity. Every time he tries a move and it doesn't work, I'm worried he will get benched.

The edge work he used in the NZ to pull the puck backhand to forehand and smoke the pressing fwd was Datyukian. Seeing him finally bust out his stick handling is fun.

- big minus to Cole for not giving Jeffrey a plus. Amazing what he can do with some real ice time and the coal miners removed from his legs.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hard to believe Kobasew couldn't find a job for so long. Such a solid veteran player.

The system looks different this year. I don't know if it'll help them get further in the playoffs but it's refreshing to see they're actually doing some different things. I was tired of watching the same old crap.

If we can play solid D and help Fleury who hopefully listens to the shrink guy and plays well then we WILL go far because that's what held us back the most for years. Shut other team down and out score them we will hopefully do.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Maatta and Bort play off each other so well.

You have to love the instant chemistry.

Määttä should and will get sent down after his trial, no point in us burning a year of control when he's a luxury and not a necessity, but he could be a full-timer this year. Bort has definitely taken about five steps forward, and as long as he's in the line-up consistently I expect him to continue his improvement.

It's really refreshing to see Engelland in the press box to start the year. I love him as a #7 option, I just wasn't trusting Danny to use him as such. I think it's safe to say that Bortuzzo has officially passed him up on the depth chart.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
WBS thumped Bridgeport 5-2 tonight.

Goals from Harrington and two goals apiece from Conner and Zolnierczyk.

I didn't see it, but it looks like it was a rough game, tons of PIMs on both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->