Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Pens vs. Sabres

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus

+ Bort/Maatta: Really shocked by how these two have chemistry together. Bort is playing with a new confidence. It looks like he took his offseason seriously and is making a statement. He looks so confident. Maatta is the future. I can see where some of his youth won't be able to take 82 games in the league but he plays so solid. He always skates low and is ready to pass or shoot. Rarely do you see players of his age playing so low. I want to see how these 2 play against a team like Chicago or Boston to REALLY see where they are.

+ Beau: The guy is amazing. His hands and head are all there. He is always ahead of the play or at least knows where it is going to be. I love watching him play.

+ Chucky: I like that with his limited minutes he goes to the areas to score goals. He's crafty. I like how he plays. The chemistry he brings with that 3rd line is great. Their passing in 2 consecutive games brings us a transition goal. I still don't know if he is battle tested. I'd love to see him skate with a guy who is physical and fast. It might be a match made in heaven.

+ Defense in general: I know we played against 2 bad teams, but it still looks good. They cover up the play well and support one another. That is where we've fallen apart in the past. I really like what I'm seeing. Scuds REALLY makes this defense nice. He does so many small things in the d-zone to help his partner. Even when he makes a mistake he covers it very well. I love seeing him back there. Paul Martin is another guy playing really damn good.

Only 2 games and against bad teams, but the d-zone looks pretty damn solid.

One major thing I'm seeing is the defense collapses to the net and covers that area nicely. Nobody is really cutting in on them like they did in years past. Once again... it's early so let's see.

+ Adjustments (coaching?): It's early to tell but there was a lot more support in the breakout and a little more focus on controlling the puck. The problem is... Buffalo is bad and their d-zone was TERRIFYINGLY bad. They had no push against our offense and that is what our offense struggles to handle against teams like Boston. It's still way too early. Let's see where it goes.

+ Fleury: Once again - EARLY. He's always been a great regular season goalie. Now his career here in the Burgh will be in the postseason. Regular season success is nothing new. I will say he is squaring up to the shooter instead of flopping a lot more.

+ Geno/Crosby: Love both of their effort tonight. Some stupid Geno-like plays but really strong hustle. Crosby looked great with puck possession. Sid 41 faceoffs?!?!? :amazed: Wow.

Minus

- Kunitz/Dupers: Being a bit harsh here but they are playing hot potato with the puck. Calm down and make plays.

- Adams/Glass: First game they played decent for a 4th line but man they fumble the puck and suck. There is no easy way to put it. They are frustrating to watch.

- Sutter: I cannot even spot him on the ice. He floats around and gets out-muscled in corners. Pick it up. I know he covers the d-zone nice, but we need a little more now.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
DJ- Sutter Home-Kobe.

Instant chemistry and effective on the cycle. Too bad they won't stay together long.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Only watched the 1st and 3rd.

Crosby had some horrendous puck luck. What was that, 4, 5 breakaways? Plus, he had a few absolutely beauty setups to Kunitz and Dups.

Fleury playing like it's 2008.

penguins2946*

+Maatta-Bortuzzo pair. I mean wow, Maatta is a man child. He's huge and plays with a ton of poise. Excellent bottom pair.
+2nd line. Just looked plain good. It was men against boys when they were out there.
+Flower and Crosby. Obvious reasons.

-Niskanen attempting to hit. It looks like a monkey humping a football
-Dupuis and Kunitz. For Crosby looking amazing, they look like crap. Just ugly.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
- The Sabres. They have serious issues with basic defensive coverage, and they have almost no offensive creativity short of Vanek. It makes it hard to get too excited about Beau's line (I said it) dominating (albeit without points) and Maatta showing great puck awareness and presence around the net.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
+ 3rd line, I think Sutter had a better game tonight and is skating with more confidence. Kobesew again with simple, effective play, and DJ had his best game for us in forever

+ Malkin with no boneheaded turnovers, seems to be benefiting from Bennett along the boards and Jokinen's defensive responsibility

+ Sid

+ Bort and Maatta, they both look solid, no major mistakes

+ The new system and coaches for once

+ Martin and Scuderi, both incredibly solid

+ 2nd PP unit, playing simple hockey, getting traffic and shots on net

= Kunitz improving, and with a good shot on the PS

- Dupuis looks rough

- Orpik is a mess with the puck

- Niskanen making easy plays in his own end look hard

Overall I like the system play including some cycling, and our new 3rd line, even without BB, held the puck and was a consistent offensive threat.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This team is so different from previous years. None of that "go north" stuff. We're actually methodical in our breakouts and supporting the puck. Our D is allowed to reverse. Using the middle of the ice really well in the neutral zone. I love the touch passes to streaking forwards too... It has Jacques Martin written all over it and I'm thrilled.

Niskanen had some poor turnovers and Martin limp-wristed a few clearing attempts.

Vitale and Jeffrey were killing penalties and looking good at it too. Vitale tipped some passes with his stick and Jeffrey turned a 1-on-2 into a scoring chance that was probably better than anything the Sabres had all night.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Plus

+ Bort/Maatta: Really shocked by how these two have chemistry together. Bort is playing with a new confidence. It looks like he took his offseason seriously and is making a statement. He looks so confident. Maatta is the future. I can see where some of his youth won't be able to take 82 games in the league but he plays so solid. He always skates low and is ready to pass or shoot. Rarely do you see players of his age playing so low. I want to see how these 2 play against a team like Chicago or Boston to REALLY see where they are.

+ Beau: The guy is amazing. His hands and head are all there. He is always ahead of the play or at least knows where it is going to be. I love watching him play.

+ Chucky: I like that with his limited minutes he goes to the areas to score goals. He's crafty. I like how he plays. The chemistry he brings with that 3rd line is great. Their passing in 2 consecutive games brings us a transition goal. I still don't know if he is battle tested. I'd love to see him skate with a guy who is physical and fast. It might be a match made in heaven.

+ Defense in general: I know we played against 2 bad teams, but it still looks good. They cover up the play well and support one another. That is where we've fallen apart in the past. I really like what I'm seeing. Scuds REALLY makes this defense nice. He does so many small things in the d-zone to help his partner. Even when he makes a mistake he covers it very well. I love seeing him back there. Paul Martin is another guy playing really damn good.

Only 2 games and against bad teams, but the d-zone looks pretty damn solid.

One major thing I'm seeing is the defense collapses to the net and covers that area nicely. Nobody is really cutting in on them like they did in years past. Once again... it's early so let's see.

+ Adjustments (coaching?): It's early to tell but there was a lot more support in the breakout and a little more focus on controlling the puck. The problem is... Buffalo is bad and their d-zone was TERRIFYINGLY bad. They had no push against our offense and that is what our offense struggles to handle against teams like Boston. It's still way too early. Let's see where it goes.

+ Fleury: Once again - EARLY. He's always been a great regular season goalie. Now his career here in the Burgh will be in the postseason. Regular season success is nothing new. I will say he is squaring up to the shooter instead of flopping a lot more.

+ Geno/Crosby: Love both of their effort tonight. Some stupid Geno-like plays but really strong hustle. Crosby looked great with puck possession. Sid 41 faceoffs?!?!? :amazed: Wow.

Minus

- Kunitz/Dupers: Being a bit harsh here but they are playing hot potato with the puck. Calm down and make plays.

- Adams/Glass: First game they played decent for a 4th line but man they fumble the puck and suck. There is no easy way to put it. They are frustrating to watch.

- Sutter: I cannot even spot him on the ice. He floats around and gets out-muscled in corners. Pick it up. I know he covers the d-zone nice, but we need a little more now.

1. What do you want from Kunitz and Duper? They're already in playoff form. :laugh:

2. You're not going to get a chance to see Maatta-Borts against a team like Boston or Chicago. But, a trip to Philly is among the first 10 games. You'd have to think they''ll see themselves out there against some high end offensive units (assuming Bylsma dresses Maatta). Thing is, it's not just Maatta looking good in his own right. It's how he AND Borts look as a pairing that's so impressive, albeit early on.

3. Beau needs to be permanently attached to Geno's hip if Sid is committed to his linemate destiny.

4. The two places where the improved defense shows are in the collapsing to protect the net (as you noted) and in clogging the neutral zone. I'm not sure if systemically it's the best system for Sid, but I think Geno thrives on that counter style (he was an absolute force defensively from the Pens blueline to the Sabres end line).

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
- The Sabres. They have serious issues with basic defensive coverage, and they have almost no offensive creativity short of Vanek. It makes it hard to get too excited about Beau's line (I said it) dominating (albeit without points) and Maatta showing great puck awareness and presence around the net.

Seriously. They might be the worst team in the league this year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Can I give 57 minuses to Tyler Myers? He doesn't just look bad, he looks completely out of his element. The team all around just looked awful...it's going to be a long year in Buffalo.

+s can be given out like candy to the Penguins, you have to nitpick to find things to complain about and you all know I don't tend to do that after easy wins.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
+ Bort and Määttä looked great together. Bortuzzo seems bigger and calmer than last year. Määttä has ice water in his veins, zero panic treshhold at his age. Watch out, Teppo behind the Buffalo bench.
+ Sabres hockey names: Zemgus Girgensons and Rasmus Ristolainen, just roll off the tongue.

- Bylsma constantly re-rolling the lines for no reason. Everything was fine, you don't need higher ability scores!

Crozbar

Feb 7, 2010
Edmonton
+BB and Maatta looked great out there, and I hope Maatta especially will be seriously considered for his potential.

+Scuderi, I like that he's back and he made some nice plays. Actually Martin and the defense generally looked solid didn't fall asleep too much against a weak team.

+ Liked the JJ - Malkin - Bennett line a lot. Beau looks really nice on that line adding puck support and creativity, almost enough for me to want Neal to go to Crosby's line. But one of them should definitely go.

- Kunitz and Dupuis part of line #1. It has been said already.. as much as I have liked Dupuis he would look really good on the third line, about as good as Bennet or Neal would on the first in fact. (Actually I wouldn't be entirely adverse to seeing Kunitz moved either).

- Sabres, pretty sloppy effort tonight. Of course S&E said they played well though, so ... :help:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This team is so different from previous years. None of that "go north" stuff. We're actually methodical in our breakouts and supporting the puck. Our D is allowed to reverse. Using the middle of the ice really well in the neutral zone. I love the touch passes to streaking forwards too... It has Jacques Martin written all over it and I'm thrilled.

We have options throughout the breakout. It's not stretch to the left or stretch to the right. I remember one late. Maatta wheels out from behind with a little pressure. You see players setting up to give him 3 different support options. Maatta, thankfully, was smart enough to wait the extra split second to pick the best one. BUT, last year, even waiting, he'd have had no real options develop like they are now.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Dupuis still looking like garbage. The evil part of me wants it to continue so Beau maybe gets a look there.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
- Driving for all of the second period into the third until two minutes are left in the game.:(
+ Listening to Lange & Bourque.
+ Pens win.
+ Goals #2 for Crosby, Kobasew, Adams:laugh:
+ Fleury
+ Swimming in Oct.: yes... you can do that when the pool is 101 degrees, in the rain, it was a hot tub essentially.:nod:
++++ Fredericks GDT.

- Giving up a goal late ruining Fleury potential back to back 3-0 shutouts.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+ Bort and Määttä looked great together. Bortuzzo seems bigger and calmer than last year. Määttä has ice water in his veins, zero panic treshhold at his age. Watch out, Teppo behind the Buffalo bench...

+ Sabres hockey names: Zemgus Girgensons and Rasmus Ristolainen, just roll off the tongue.

LOL, I said after last game that Olli reminded me of a young Teppo.

But, as I noted above, it's not just Maatta playing so well or Borts looking so much bigger and calmer. It's now how they look together, how they complement one another.

I really want to see Maatta get the 10 games. There's no Boston or Chicago, but a trip to Philly and home games against Vancouver, the Isles, and Colorado should offer an ample test.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Can I give 57 minuses to Tyler Myers? He doesn't just look bad, he looks completely out of his element. The team all around just looked awful...it's going to be a long year in Buffalo.

+s can be given out like candy to the Penguins, you have to nitpick to find things to complain about and you all know I don't tend to do that after easy wins.

Yeah, Myers is awful. There's gotta be something going on there, for a player's game to take such a huge nose dive. He just simply doesn't look like an NHL-capable player anymore.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+BB and Maatta looked great out there, and I hope Maatta especially will be seriously considered for his potential.

+Scuderi, I like that he's back and he made some nice plays. Actually Martin and the defense generally looked solid didn't fall asleep too much against a weak team.

+ Liked the JJ - Malkin - Bennett line a lot. Beau looks really nice on that line adding puck support and creativity, almost enough for me to want Neal to go to Crosby's line. But one of them should definitely go.

- Kunitz and Dupuis part of line #1. It has been said already.. as much as I have liked Dupuis he would look really good on the third line, about as good as Bennet or Neal would on the first in fact. (Actually I wouldn't be entirely adverse to seeing Kunitz moved either).

- Sabres, pretty sloppy effort tonight. Of course S&E said they played well though, so ... :help:

Foolish lad. If JJ-Geno-Beau looks THAT good over time, it's Neal to L3.

Dupuis still looking like garbage. The evil part of me wants it to continue so Beau maybe gets a look there.

Kunitz looks like garbage too. But, really, Beau over Dupuis. What kind of a fool are you?

Crozbar

Feb 7, 2010
Edmonton
Foolish lad. If JJ-Geno-Beau looks THAT good over time, it's Neal to L3.

Kunitz looks like garbage too. But, really, Beau over Dupuis. What kind of a fool are you?

Indeed, what could I have been thinking? That top line is too golden to ever be touched. That would be like not rewarding Kunitz and Dupuis for all they have done.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Myers needs to play low and get some freaking strength. I've never seen such a big guy play more like a wuss. He has no anger in his body. He plays like a big wuss.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, Myers is awful. There's gotta be something going on there, for a player's game to take such a huge nose dive. He just simply doesn't look like an NHL-capable player anymore.

Errey says he's seeing a sports psychiatrist too, so I'm sure a lot of it is mental...but as they also pointed out that he's just trying to do things that he's not capable of doing with skilled guys on him. If he simplifies his game and gets back to the basics and just focuses on the defensive side of things he could work his way out of this, but he just looks like he's got the double bonus of trying to do too much and having zero confidence in himself.

I'm hoping he snaps out of it at some time. There's no joy in seeing a guy just fall off the map this far...not unless he plays for the Flyers.

And yeah...the Sabres have my two favorite current names in hockey. Zemgus Girgensons and Rasmus Ristolainen. I will never pass up an opportunity to say those names, they're just too perfect.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Myers needs to play low and get some freaking strength. I've never seen such a big guy play more like a wuss. He has no anger in his body. He plays like a big wuss.

Like an oversized Brandon Sutter? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->