Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 1 Pens vs. Isles - The Maatta Special!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Geno and Phil were both great last night APART, so let's put them back together?

Wonder why you're suggesting THAT. :facepalm:

Because Horny can't catch a pass in transition and that's what Malkin likes: to make that first pass in the NZ and wants his receiver to hold it so Malkin can maneuver to open space and get the puck back so HE CAN ENTER the offensive zone
That's not Horny's game and it isn't McCann's either.

You' ve advocated over and over that Malkin gets scraps and in Game 1 he could have dominated more, but didn't have linemates to make that happen.
So which is it- do you want Geno to have decent linemates or not?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The problem with just flipping Hornqvist and Rust is that Hornqvist is having some serious problems of being incapable of producing recently. I'm not sure that's really going to help anything by making that swap, I honestly don't know how good Hornqvist is right now.

Hornqvist will force Jake and Sid to simplify their game and play more responsible. It isn’t about production.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I honestly think since his neck injury scare against the Flyers that he’s been playing tentative and that’s not the Norris candidate Letang from earlier in the season...when he’s playing without inhibition he’s great. But this Letang is like last year’s PO Letang and I fear for us because of that...when you add in other D men getting worked and Dumo looking off, it’s a bad concoction

I’ll agree here. Letang has looked off since that injury. It sucks, but it’s the truth.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'll happily go with the devil I don't know in this case. I just don't think a performance like that should be rewarded with a spot in the lineup next game.

If JJ is as bad next game, just keep rotating them until somebody looks decent.

I mean, that’s a sure way to lose. You can’t constantly switch it up.

I think Maatta got exposed due to Dumo and Gudbranson being injured. Honestly, they should’ve bench Olli in OT and ran Petts as our top LD.

And that is where my concern comes from reading JJ. He’ll screw over our top four and we cannot put him with Gudbranson.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Because Horny can't catch a pass in transition and that's what Malkin likes: to make that first pass in the NZ and wants his receiver to hold it so Malkin can maneuver to open space and get the puck back so HE CAN ENTER the offensive zone

You' ve advocated over and over that Malkin gets scraps and in Game 1 he could have dominated more, but didn't have linemates to make that happen.

Beyond thinking Kessel sucks - where he sure didn't last night and I'll readily admit that - Phil and Geno together play like Russian-style freeflow hockey. It's like they can't help themselves when they're together. That's pretty and fun and all until you consider that style gets regularly annihilated against tight-checking, disciplined North American competition. This isn't meant to be "anti-Russian" directed at Geno. I love Geno. It's just when he and Phil are paired together it flips the (wrong) switch in his brain.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Was it also just me, or did Sid not have Letang behind him as much? Sometimes I feel Sid (and Jake, for that matter) thinks of #58 as a security blanket that lets him play a higher-risk game. I noticed Letang behind Geno's line a lot, and regardless he was mostly BAD LETANG last night anyway. So Sid didn't have good Letang behind him one way or another.

Letang mainly was behind Geno when he'd send Geno out for defensive zone faceoffs, but your claim that Letang was mainly behind Geno is 100% WRONG. As always, Letang was mainly behind Sid and Sid was spared from having to skate much with the third pairing.

Here's the 5 on 5 breakdown:

Kris Letang - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

As you'll see, Letang played 22:37 at ES. He played 5:46 (25%) with Malkin. He played 9:18 (41%) with Sid.

BTW, here's Schultz . . .

Justin Schultz - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

He played 4:31 (28%) of his shifts with Malkin and 6:01 (37%) of his shifts with Sid.

OR, you can flip the equation and look at Malkin's and Crosby's ice mates 5 on 5:

Malkin played 13:40. 5:46 with Letang and 4:31 with Schultz. BUT, take out 1 minute from each, since that was the EN situation and not really 5 on 5. So, 12:40 for Malkin at TRUE 5 on 5. 4:46 with Letang, 3:31 with Schultz, and 4:23 with neither. That means 38% with Letang, 28% with Schultz, and 34% with Pettersson-Gunbranson.

Sid played 16:40. 9:18 with Letang. 6:01 with Schultz. Again, subtract a minute from each because of the EN situation. So, Sid played 15:40 of true 5 on 5, with 8:18 with Letang and 5:01 with Schultz and all of 2:21 with neither. That means 51% with Letang, 32% with Schultz, and 17% with Pettersson-Gunbransson.

Any questions? :D

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I disagree. JJ’s issue is getting overwhelmed by forechecks. He makes dumb plays and goes chasing behind the net all the time.

Olli at least allows us to outlet and transistion out of the zone faster and can actually hold offensive blue line.

Guarantee if we put JJ in we start seeing multiple odd man breaks when I counted less than 3 last night. ( and one of them was because of Letang falling on the **** ice at Nassau which is something I was worried about)

I mean, the bolded just described Maatta as well. And transitions out of the zone faster? You mean when Maatta repeatedly ices the puck when he's not under pressure?

Johnson's weaknesses are basically Maatta's, so there's no edge there for Maatta. And Johnson's strengths (ie physicality) is more suited to the Isles than whatever the f*** it is Maatta does well (marginally moves the puck better, but neither are very good at it).

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Letang mainly was behind Geno when he'd send Geno out for defensive zone faceoffs, but your claim that Letang was mainly behind Geno is 100% WRONG. As always, Letang was mainly behind Sid and Sid was spared from having to skate much with the third pairing.

Here's the 5 on 5 breakdown:

Kris Letang - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

As you'll see, Letang played 22:37 at ES. He played 5:46 (25%) with Malkin. He played 9:18 (41%) with Sid.

BTW, here's Schultz . . .

Justin Schultz - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

He played 4:31 (28%) of his shifts with Malkin and 6:01 (37%) of his shifts with Sid.

OR, you can flip the equation and look at Malkin's and Crosby's ice mates 5 on 5:

Malkin played 13:40. 5:46 with Letang and 4:31 with Schultz. BUT, take out 1 minute from each, since that was the EN situation and not really 5 on 5. So, 12:40 for Malkin at TRUE 5 on 5. 4:46 with Letang, 3:31 with Schultz, and 4:23 with neither. That means 38% with Letang, 28% with Schultz, and 34% with Pettersson-Gunbranson.

Sid played 16:40. 9:18 with Letang. 6:01 with Schultz. Again, subtract a minute from each because of the EN situation. So, Sid played 15:40 of true 5 on 5, with 8:18 with Letang and 5:01 with Schultz and all of 2:21 with neither. That means 51% with Letang, 32% with Schultz, and 17% with Pettersson-Gunbransson.

Any questions? :D

Nice breakdown. What should I eat for lunch?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

So why not just flip Horny and Rust?

And why ignore that Geno and Phil just played their best 200 foot hockey in a LONG time . . . APART?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if it makes sense to split up Pettersson and Gudbranson.

Petts - Letang
Dumo - Gudbranson
X - Schultz

Then you shelter Olli or JJ and double shift Schultz.

Maybe we could try telling Letang to grow the **** up first? :razz:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So why not just flip Horny and Rust?

And why ignore that Geno and Phil just played their best 200 foot hockey in a LONG time . . . APART?

I'd easily try it. Rust was a ghost last night with the Crosby line and honestly, apart from one stretch earlier this year where Rust went on a goal scoring spree, I don't think he's really clicked with them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Beyond thinking Kessel sucks - where he sure didn't last night and I'll readily admit that - Phil and Geno together play like Russian-style freeflow hockey. It's like they can't help themselves when they're together. That's pretty and fun and all until you consider that style gets regularly annihilated against tight-checking, disciplined North American competition. This isn't meant to be "anti-Russian" directed at Geno. I love Geno. It's just when he and Phil are paired together it flips the (wrong) switch in his brain.

As I said, the crap we saw Sid and Jake pulling last night . . . that's Geno and Phil 101.

The Objective troll

Apr 7, 2019
If Sullivan practiced any sort of accountability, as opposed to just preaching it, he'd take Mattaa out for Johnson (who's played really solid for the last quarter of the season.)

But we all know he doesn't, so he won't.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd easily try it. Rust was a ghost last night with the Crosby line and honestly, apart from one stretch earlier this year where Rust went on a goal scoring spree, I don't think he's really clicked with them.

I think Horny might force Sid and Jake to be a little more responsible than last night (since he can't push the tempo on the breakout, they'll have to come back further to support). And I think perhaps the downshift in terms of how fast the center wants to play might help Rust (and I've always liked Geno defensively with two speed forecheckers).

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I really hope that sullivan goes with Letang/Dumo, Schultz/JJ, Guds/Petts It's really not rocket science here. We do need pre-flyers game Letang to re-emerge.
I don't know how many times i saw a puck in our zone that anyone not named Maatta would get, but he just couldn't beat the islander to the puck or even get there at the same time. How do you keep putting JJ in the lineup in the beginning of the year when he was awful. End of the season JJ is on his proper side of the ice, is looking damn useful, and he has reputation of being good in the playoffs. So *that's* when you bench him only to put in concrete skates Maatta in.

Really? Other then Sullivan who does this make sense too?

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Now i'm conFUSEd.:laugh:

Well, we all know we can do better than that, Crosby to start with because he has to set the example as usual (wtf?), also, the D has to watch some serious video ****. Still expecting this to go in 6 for Pens unless we beat ourselves again next game.

LGP!

Not as confused as I was when I mistook Kuhnhackl for Mario in OT last night. ;)

Reactions: BladeRunner66

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I dont know, I really like L2 and L3 last night. I thought Geno and Phil were engaged. Rust and McCann swap for now and see how that plays out in game 2.

No way. You want to do a swap, make it Rust and Horny. It took a period or so, but McCann was Geno's Hags out there last night (the good Hags version). If Sully screws with that . . .

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I guess we'll see soon what Sully has planned . . .

Yeah well he better had talked to Sid 'cause Crosby's line looked like they hadn't planned anything except being naturally superior. I mean, you can't entitle yourself to be better, you have to prove it over and over and i thought if anyone knew that, that's be Sid. Weird shit, i'm sure even if Sully didn't talk to him (doubtful) Crosby would still know in hindsight, that his line just didn't get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad