Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 1 Pens vs. Isles - The Maatta Special!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I would put Hornqvist with Crosby and Guentzel because that Cizikas line outright killed them last night.

I would slot Rust in with McCann and Malkin.

Keep the third line the same, it was dominant all night long.

Blueger in over Wilson, Cullen to wing.

I don't know that I've figured out what happened with the defense last night just yet.

I think that's the consensus about the play up front. There was some question as to whether flipping Rust and McCann might be better, but I agree . . . Sid's line needs Hornqvist, whether he likes it or not, and at least there's a playoff history for Rust on Malkin's RW where a player a lot like McCann was on the other wing.

Defensively, I really hope you do a write up on this one. Thought Gunbranson was good. Schultz mostly good. Pettersson okay after a rough first. Letang like a Dickens novel, with the worst of times at the least opportune moments. Dumo had a rough one.

But, I really think the Isles took Maatta to school. He just can't handle their speed and relentlessness. It's not just his skating speed. He was slow with everything. Curious to see if your examination confirms or if it's overblown.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
There's definitely some positives to take from game 1 moving forward.
-Geno is looking good
-Playoff Phil is here
-McCann can play and look good with Geno
-Bjugstad looks nice out there at 3C

-Yes Crosby's line didn't look great and I am sure that was a big focus from Trotz. Adjustments will be made and you aren't going to shut down the greatest player in the game all series. They were still creating chances but that's the way things go sometimes. Once L1 gets going we are going to have 3 pretty solid looking lines.

Its never easy, this is playoff hockey and that was Game 1 in a fired up environment. We win game 2 and we have the upper hand.

Actually, I think Sid summed up the issues with L1 best last night:

Basically saying it right there. He was cheating (until OT), and Jake was cherry picking.

And, yes, I know Rust was a cluster**** trying to do the lion's share of the work. And, yes, I know, Rust isn't a good fit for Sid beyond little spurts (I said last night, flip Horny and Rust).

But, the problems for L1 hardly began or ended with Rust, and I knew that Sid would know that. Watch. He'll do a 180 on Friday no matter WHO is on his RW.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, that was basically a worst case scenario. Everything I was afraid of happened.

Was it all of them. I actually though L2 and L3 forwards were pretty honest overall about coming back to support the breakout and, when it wasn't there, they'd just make sure to get it out. It also seemed like Cullen was supporting the breakout for L4. L1 was the culprit from what it seemed, which was stunning.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think that's the consensus about the play up front. There was some question as to whether flipping Rust and McCann might be better, but I agree . . . Sid's line needs Hornqvist, whether he likes it or not, and at least there's a playoff history for Rust on Malkin's RW where a player a lot like McCann was on the other wing.

Defensively, I really hope you do a write up on this one. Thought Gunbranson was good. Schultz mostly good. Pettersson okay after a rough first. Letang like a Dickens novel, with the worst of times at the least opportune moments. Dumo had a rough one.

But, I really think the Isles took Maatta to school. He just can't handle their speed and relentlessness. It's not just his skating speed. He was slow with everything. Curious to see if your examination confirms or if it's overblown.

I think while Rust wasn’t the reason L1 was bad, he definitely was victimized the most out of all our forwards.

Judging by how Malkin looked last night Hornqvist to Rust wouldn’t be a huge downgrade imo.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Wasn't able to watch the whole game but from what I saw it seemed like that is the best the Islanders may have to offer while we played one of our worst games in a while. Not everyone was bad tho. Mostly Maatta and Crosby's line. If Crosby and Guentzal can show up for Game 2 I think we'll be fine. Take Rust off their line and maybe go with

Guentzal - Crosby - Horny
McCann - Malkin - Rust
Simon - Bjugstad - Kessel
ZAR - Cullen - Wilson

Put Johnson in for Maatta as well

You're close. Blueger has to go in for ZAR.

Gotta say, I was too pissed last night to really watch replays of the OT goal.

About 45 seconds into a shift. One on 3. The options are to dump or stick handle high in the offensive zone as players are changing or trying to change behind him. And, Letang chooses the latter.

@Scandale du Jour, you're able to translate French Canadian player stupidity for the HFBoards masses ( :razz: ), please tell me:

What in the HELL was Letang thinking?

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I realized this morning that Kris Letang is directly responsible for the game deciding goal in the last three Penguins playoff games. The last two playoff games Kris Letang turned the puck over at the offensive blue line in OT and cost us the game. Turning it over while guys like Kuznetsov and Barzal are on the ice. It’s not bad luck; it’s going to keep happening.

Barry Trotz knows exactly how to bait and punish Kris Letang and he’s done it three games in a row. Trotz has seen 20 Penguins playoff games firsthand and he’s figured them out.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Barzal scored yesterday?

I thought that was Bailey?

Edit: Ya it was Bailey. ZAR came off the bench and took the man closest to him, have no problem with that. Barzal just danced Dumo and well... Letang..

Oh, whats JJ? A guy that can clear the front of the net and play the corners well, unlike Maatta. I doubt, severely, Kuhnhackel dances JJ. JJ makes more mental mistakes than physical ones, while Mattaa is the opposite.

JJ isn't anything special, but he can give them more solid minutes than Maatta.

If we could fuse JJ and OM into one body, we'd have one helluva defenseman. :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think while Rust wasn’t the reason L1 was bad, he definitely was victimized the most out of all our forwards.

Judging by how Malkin looked last night Hornqvist to Rust wouldn’t be a huge downgrade imo.

Agreed. I think Horny looked good, but you could tell as the game wore on, McCann was the straw stirring the drink for Geno. He was what Hags was last year during that 2 month run for him.

So, yes, Rust has the history. And, one could see a 2016 playoffs Kunitz-Malkin-Rust in McCann-Malkin-Rust (Rust isn't that Rust right now, but McCann is better than THAT Kunitz and THIS Malkin has 2 good arms).

Plus, I think Sid and Jake need to keep it a little simple and ugly, with close support in transition instead of trying to track meet without numbers against the Isles defensive system. And someone like Horny also may give them an extra inch of space in the offensive zone.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You're close. Blueger has to go in for ZAR.

Gotta say, I was too pissed last night to really watch replays of the OT goal.

About 45 seconds into a shift. One on 3. The options are to dump or stick handle high in the offensive zone as players are changing or trying to change behind him. And, Letang chooses the latter.

@Scandale du Jour, you're able to translate French Canadian player stupidity for the HFBoards masses ( :razz: ), please tell me:

What in the HELL was Letang thinking?

He was trying to win the game when he did not have to try to win the game. He did too much like he often does. Needs to pick his spot better. He thought he would be the hero, I guess.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
"Kuhnhackl played 17:42 on the right wing of a line with Josh Bailey and Brock Nelson. Twice he got the puck by Penguins goalie Matt Murray. But neither goal was able to withstand replay review."

Huh? Someone care to explain this to me? I didn't watch the game or highlights. Did Kuhn actually have two goals waived off? And why?

One for offsides. Slapshot beat Murray clean. One because the net had come off its mooring (he also ran into Murray on that one).

BTW, for the first one, he skated through 3 Penguins barely bothering to play defense. On the 2nd one, he walked Maatta.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
If we could fuse JJ and OM into one body, we'd have one helluva defenseman. :sarcasm:
Now i'm conFUSEd.:laugh:

Well, we all know we can do better than that, Crosby to start with because he has to set the example as usual (wtf?), also, the D has to watch some serious video shit. Still expecting this to go in 6 for Pens unless we beat ourselves again next game.

LGP!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The big difference between Johnson and Maatta is Johnson is a better skater. Put him with Schultz and let that line roll. Maatta is a terrible skater and he got danced on a few times last night.

I think Blueger needs to be in the lineup.

Letang and his will to make something out of nothing caused that OT goal.

And where the **** was that Tom Kuhnhackl when he played for the Pens?

The other big difference is that Johnson isn't charmin soft. As much as he got danced, he may have been worked over physically even more.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Can’t wait until they put in JJ and we can make the same statement about him in a few games :)

I'll happily go with the devil I don't know in this case. I just don't think a performance like that should be rewarded with a spot in the lineup next game.

If JJ is as bad next game, just keep rotating them until somebody looks decent.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dumo's first period was miserable. Letang's game was miserable. Pets/Guds were up/down. Maatta was the absolute worst. Schultz was Schultz.

But i'll stand by my point prior to the series starting. JJ should have been in before Maatta. I actually think it would have been the difference in last night's game. And yes - L1 is the bigger issue down the road.

Flip Horny and Rust now, or do you think Sid's basically admitting last night that he needs to be 200 foot Sid and the line as a whole can't cheat is enough? Or some other switch?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Some people need to realize L1 isn't going to dominant every game. It would be nice to steal a game when they dont. One defensemen has constantly blown games the last two playoffs. That's the issue.

The complaint about L1 isn't a lack of dominance. It was Sid cheating on his 200 foot responsibilities and Jake cherry picking all game. Basically, the stuff we feared from Geno and Phil . . . well, it was Sid and Jake, not Geno and Phil, who were pulling that **** last night, and without saying it so bluntly, Sid admitted as much after the game.

Thankfully, I know he'll be better. Too great. Too proud. Hopefully Jake got that message too.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Flip Horny and Rust now, or do you think Sid's basically admitting last night that he needs to be 200 foot Sid and the line as a whole can't cheat is enough? Or some other switch?

Was it also just me, or did Sid not have Letang behind him as much? Sometimes I feel Sid (and Jake, for that matter) thinks of #58 as a security blanket that lets him play a higher-risk game. I noticed Letang behind Geno's line a lot, and regardless he was mostly BAD LETANG last night anyway. So Sid didn't have good Letang behind him one way or another.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I know this is crazy talk, but what if i told you they had lines that literally were working fine about 3 weeks ago yet Sully decided he doesn't enjoy things that have success.

To wit:

Jake-Sid-McCann
Rust- Geno-Phil
Simon- Bjug- Horny

It's not rocket surgery, but Sully believes it is

Geno and Phil were both great last night APART, so let's put them back together?

Wonder why you're suggesting THAT. :facepalm:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The problem with just flipping Hornqvist and Rust is that Hornqvist is having some serious problems of being incapable of producing recently. I'm not sure that's really going to help anything by making that swap, I honestly don't know how good Hornqvist is right now.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Every mirror says so.

cc: @ColePens
Haha, reminds me of a drunk guy at a party, he wanted to fight, with anyone, just wasted and making an ass of himself. I got tired of his stupid rant and told him a guy was waiting for him in the bathroom if he really wanted to fight. he said "rRRrrrEeEaAllllly?" and i answered "yeah, once you're there, just look in the mirror". After a long silence he finally got it and started laughing, thus defusing the tension.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Was it also just me, or did Sid not have Letang behind him as much? Sometimes I feel Sid (and Jake, for that matter) thinks of #58 as a security blanket that lets him play a higher-risk game. I noticed Letang behind Geno's line a lot, and regardless he was mostly BAD LETANG last night anyway. So Sid didn't have good Letang behind him one way or another.

I honestly think since his neck injury scare against the Flyers that he’s been playing tentative and that’s not the Norris candidate Letang from earlier in the season...when he’s playing without inhibition he’s great. But this Letang is like last year’s PO Letang and I fear for us because of that...when you add in other D men getting worked and Dumo looking off, it’s a bad concoction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad