Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Flyers & Pens

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I know everybody is in good spirits now and I am as happy about that win as the next guy but I find it concerning how we fail to capitalize when we're completely dominating AND consistently invite the opponents to make it a close game again. This really needs to stop, we could have easily lost that one if it wasn't for Philly's pathetic offense.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If they're both playing, that means Bort is sitting. He brings something those two don't so unlikely to happen. If they do end up splitting it up, it might as well be Dupuis with Crosby, Kunitz, and Beau

Good call. I'll have to figure a way around that one. :laugh:

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I'll do some weird ones while everyone else touches on the normal stuff:

+ I love how we are bumping guys in loose puck situations. Not finishing hits, but throwing out body into them to win the battle. THat's the first time I've seen that in a loonnnnng time. It showed some desperation today.

+ Simmonds - Man.... can we get this guy? He's a freaking beast. He's a player we really need on our team. I love how he plays the game and i love how mean he plays. He sits his ass in front of the net and makes **** happen.

+ Vitale/Z: I like that combo. I don't know what it is about it. I just love that combo. They play with spunk.

I'll leave the other stuff to you guys. :) Just some weird random thoughts.

I like Simmonds, but he was a minus 4 tonight.....not his best overall work.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Everyone continues to look damned solid defensively. I thought offensively we were a little off tonight, but we buried enough chances to win the game.

How good is Jussi Jokinen by the way? He's not fast or great in the corners but when he gets a little bit of space he can be lethal either with his passing/vision or his excellent shot. He's doing an admirable job filling James Neal's shoes on that line. I kinda wonder how that line will look when Neal gets back though as him and Jussi kinda fill similar roles. Jussi isn't quite as shoot first as Neal but they are similar otherwise.

I hope Letang when he comes back can fit seamlessly into the type of hockey we're playing. We're winning by making smart high percentage plays and as we all know Letang isn't always well known for his brain. I don't want him to stifle himself offensively but I just hope he picks his spots well as sometimes the dumb high risk hockey can be contagious and cause the rest of the team to lose their structure.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
really nice to see crosby jump out to an early lead in the scoring race. the guy could legit put up 150 pts per season if he had a winger with some skill and some luck staying healthy.

unfortunately we know neither of those things will happen. i think sid is going to get injured in these next few weeks and miss a lot of games, thereby allowing the toad ovechkin to win more hardware.

but at least temporarily, all is right in the world.

i also wonder how long it will be until the pens pr machine starts trying to prop up the idea of fleury as a vezina candidate.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They are showing that Maatta pass to Geno again. Oh my lord. It's a TREMENDOUS pass.

I want to keep him as long as possible and think he should go back to juniors, but at this point I'm cool either way.

Told you he'd just keep getting better. You can't teach smart, and you can't underestimate a smart player's ability to translate what he's learned on the ice. Really interested to see how he looks against Vancouver.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
+zolnierczyk. I can't stand this guy, but he was effective tonight

+Geno. didn't give up on any play

+Fleury. His last two have been his best in years

+Bort. That's how it's done. Take the number of the dirtbag who elbowed you, elbow him in the first, obliterate him in the second, then stomp the tar out of the guy who comes looking for vengeance

+Dupuis

+Sid

-Orpik. "Maybe if I just stand here, Simmonds will leave the net front."-something Orpik must have been thinking all game.

-Brayden Schenn. Faked an injury on a phantom headshot. Twice. And if Berube had any sense, he'd scratch this guy's ass for being extra lazy on picking up his guy a half dozen times in this game. Whoever voted this player as best prospect in the world on the HFboards list should write a formal apology to about 60 guys for selling them so short.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I know everybody is in good spirits now and I am as happy about that win as the next guy but I find it concerning how we fail to capitalize when we're completely dominating AND consistently invite the opponents to make it a close game again. This really needs to stop, we could have easily lost that one if it wasn't for Philly's pathetic offense.

Man, we're missing Neal, Bennett, and Letang, and we're on top of the East with only one loss...which happened when we were playing our AHL back-up in his first ever NHL game.

I don't think a 4-1 win is anything to be concerned about under the circumstances.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
really nice to see crosby jump out to an early lead in the scoring race. the guy could legit put up 150 pts per season if he had a winger with some skill and some luck staying unhealthy.

unfortunately we know neither of those things will happen. i think sid is going to get injured in these next few weeks and miss a lot of games, thereby allowing the toad ovechkin to win more hardware.

i also wonder how long it will be until the pens pr machine starts trying to prop up the idea of fleury as a vezina candidate.

I know you're half joking but I caught my breath in the second when Kunitz I think it was bumped into Crosby's head around the net and Sid went down a little bit.

I hope to god he can stay healthy. I just once want to see him get 75-80 games. Just once in his prime. I think we'll see magical numbers if he does.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
+ I thought the bottom six played a solid game.

+ Nisky looked really good out there tonight.

+ Matta...again.

+ Fleury...again.

+ DB finally putting Sid and Geno out there with an EN.

- Orpik

- I hate the even-up and inconsistent officiating

- Bad third period

No idea how you give Orpik a (-) in this game. The guy takes so much crap around here, the guy had a great game tonight. He played smart in his own end and kept plays alive in the offensive zone, he had a great game. Well, aside from the penalty that is.

I agree with your other pluses and minuses though.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I like Simmonds, but he was a minus 4 tonight.....not his best overall work.

He's a net front guy. Guys like him are never really going to be in good defensive position. They're generally slow and, as a necessity of their job, usually the last guy out of the offensive zone. It's not Simmonds playing bad, so much as the reality of the assignment he's given.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Man, we're missing Neal, Bennett, and Letang, and we're on top of the East with only one loss...which happened when we were playing our AHL back-up in his first ever NHL game.

I don't think a 4-1 win is anything to be concerned about under the circumstances.

Have to agree. I think you'll see teams getting buried a little more consistently when Tanger and Neal come back. Right now we're missing the overwhelming fire power. It says something about the depth of our offense that we're still piling up the goals even without them.

Well maybe depth is the wrong word. It says something about Sid and Geno :laugh:.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure that even the biggest doubters (like me) question his ability to do that in the regular season.

I know, but people seem to take for granted how good of a coach he is during the regular season, he deserves more credit from pens fans, this lineup hes putting out right now shouldn't have a 6-1 record.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
The sad thing is.. even though the Flyers have been awful, in our division they can still turn it around. Right now its Pittsburgh, the Isles, and the... Hurricanes leading the pack. Yikes....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I was encouraged by the reappearance of the defensive structure. Pens are much better suited to play that 1-3-1 or LW lock.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
really nice to see crosby jump out to an early lead in the scoring race. the guy could legit put up 150 pts per season if he had a winger with some skill and some luck staying healthy.

If he keeps up his currently level of play, he should be a Vezina candidate. Just because a guy does poorly one year doesn't mean he's completely out of the running for an award the next.

Fleury should put together a 40 win season. Hopefully he can keep up his standard of play in the playoffs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm starting to think he can get us a legit top 6 winger. Aside from the occasional defensive lapses, which all defensemen make, he's been solid. Shero should start shopping him.

Legit top nine will be fine.

EDIT: For purposes of definition, legit top nine means better than Kobasew. :laugh:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Maybe I'm missing something, but Bort looked really sloppy, especially in the first. A few bad passes, and got caught out of position a few times, seemed like his worst game of the year to me. I just hope that's not used as an excuse to bench him next game.

Also, things just aren't getting easier for Nisky vs Maatta. I mean, Maatta has looked great, and I'd love to see him stick. But Niskanen is this team's best offensive defenseman right now, and actually played solid defensively tonight. It's a good position for a team to be in.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If he keeps up his currently level of play, he should be a Vezina candidate. Just because a guy does poorly one year doesn't mean he's completely out of the running for an award the next.

Fleury should put together a 40 win season. Hopefully he can keep up his standard of play in the playoffs.

That's really the million dollar question about a lot of things with this team, yes? ;)

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We basically iced two fourth lines plus Sid and Geno, and beat the Flyers. I'm giving the whole team a plus. I just wanna wallow in a bit of Schadenfreude for now, and will worry about things like forward depth tomorrow.

Oh, and ... suck it Talbo :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
first in +/- :laugh:

Best-simpsons-gifs-dancing-ape.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We basically iced two fourth lines plus Sid and Geno, and beat the Flyers. I'm giving the whole team a plus. I just wanna wallow in a bit of Schadenfreude for now, and will worry about things like forward depth tomorrow.

Oh, and ... suck it Talbo :laugh:

We iced Sid, Geno, 2/3 of the best line in hockey, Sutter, JJ, and a bunch of fourth liners to be precise.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The one factor, in keeping Maata, the team may consider is that they always have 1 or 2 injured D-Men. Keeping up Maata makes sense to me then.

Bortuzzo would be fighting for ice time then though.
Engelland will probably continue to practice at wing up front.
And Despres is playing a whole lot of AHL hockey unless he's used for trade bait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad