Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Flyers & Pens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'll do some weird ones while everyone else touches on the normal stuff:

+ I love how we are bumping guys in loose puck situations. Not finishing hits, but throwing out body into them to win the battle. THat's the first time I've seen that in a loonnnnng time. It showed some desperation today.

+ Simmonds - Man.... can we get this guy? He's a freaking beast. He's a player we really need on our team. I love how he plays the game and i love how mean he plays. He sits his ass in front of the net and makes **** happen.

+ Vitale/Z: I like that combo. I don't know what it is about it. I just love that combo. They play with spunk.

I'll leave the other stuff to you guys. :) Just some weird random thoughts.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
One more random one:

No more sitting Bort. I don't care if you are trying to sell Engo or not. Bort is playing good hockey.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

+ I love how we are bumping guys in loose puck situations. Not finishing hits, but throwing out body into them to win the battle. THat's the first time I've seen that in a loonnnnng time. It showed some desperation today.

+ Simmonds - Man.... can we get this guy? He's a freaking beast. He's a player we really need on our team. I love how he plays the game and i love how mean he plays. He sits his ass in front of the net and makes **** happen.

+ Vitale/Z: I like that combo. I don't know what it is about it. I just love that combo. They play with spunk.

Yes you do. Our dream 4th line was Sill-Vitale-Scrabbles. :laugh:

BTW, we've been hitting Sutter hard, and deservedly so. Tonight, he brought a little of dad's game to the ice.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

He also whiffed on a couple good chances. If he was on the other end you would see people complaining about his game.

I'm happy we got a win with the line up we put out. It was probably one of the worst we've had in a while.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
+ Pretty much everybody. Good defense for most of the game minus a few boneheaded moments.

Always feels great to beat these pukes. 1-7. Suck it easy Philly.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
++Sutter
+Glass
+Bort and Maatta, the kid is gaining confidence
+Engo with a few nice plays
+Fleury, solid when he needed to be

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I thought all the boys played well tonight.

I thought Flower kept us in this one too when he really needed to. Big props to him.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
+ Fleury. Solid.
+ Kuntiz. Great work on the forecheck to set up goal three.
+ Crosby. Looking like a Selke player.

As for Glass, is it me or has actually filled the void of Matt Cooke? I wonder why he is doing so much better, part of me thinks he got read the riot act and is playing for his NHL life now.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
+ Flyers at 1-7-0, their worst start in franchise history.

haha-nelson.jpg

Maybe they should fire their coach...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
One more random one:

No more sitting Bort. I don't care if you are trying to sell Engo or not. Bort is playing good hockey.

We've got quite the problem now, because I don't know how you send Maatta down. Nisky hasn't played badly (although I have my doubts about his play when he gets banged early and often in the playoffs and how he tracks on the sustained offensive cycle). Anyway, something has to give here. Figure it will be Maatta, but there's 1.4 million reasons it probably should be Nisky.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Maatta stays.

Agreed that Simmonds is exactly what this team needs.

Nice to see Sid get out of Philly with two points.

Defense is night and day from 2012.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
ESPN's box score has Crosby with 1 point and they really gave Jokienen the third star over any other Pens skater? Philly just hates on Crosby and Malkin too much

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
MAF doesn't play as well as he did and this is a different game.

Got into penalty trouble, as per the usual.

The 5on5 play for the most part was ok. Seen some good work to get out of our zone and then a few bad ones.

Biggest pluses for me:

Maata
Scuderi
Niskanen
Glass
MAF

and really the whole D-Core.

They'd save themselves all this trouble if they stayed out of the box and can Neal and Letang get back already? K thx.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
That got locked quick. Just wanted to add Sid with the secondary, empty net assist. That's going to come up for sure!! :sarcasm:

Agree with simmonds. Would love him on this team, imagine him with Geno/Neal. :naughty:

+maatta and bort.

+glass. Thought he had a spirited game.

-offensive depth.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Say what you will about Gladams (well-deserved), but the entity has been pretty good this season, and played some great hockey tonight.

Glass is actually finishing checks with aplomb, and Adams saved a couple sure goals.

Fleury was outstanding outside of his textbook behind the net goof.

I thought the Martin/Orpik pairing had a rough night by their standards.

I still want Maatta sent down. But man, he's making it tough on me. He's just been so damn solid.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He also whiffed on a couple good chances. If he was on the other end you would see people complaining about his game.

I'm happy we got a win with the line up we put out. It was probably one of the worst we've had in a while.

It was.

I will say that the encouraging thing was that the defensive structure from the first three games looked to be back. Apparently, Reirden's turn is over, and it's Martin's turn again. :laugh:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
+ I thought the bottom six played a solid game.

+ Nisky looked really good out there tonight.

+ Matta...again.

+ Fleury...again.

+ DB finally putting Sid and Geno out there with an EN.

- Orpik

- I hate the even-up and inconsistent officiating

- Bad third period

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I thought this was Geno's best game of the season.

Crosby was a beast too, and Fleury was very solid in the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad