Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Flyers & Pens

GrouperTrooper

Jan 17, 2008
Florida
I think he'd look good with Sid- if Dupers stays in the top 6, (haha) I'd reunite KMN and try JJ with Sid and Duper. Sorry Beau....

How good is Jussi Jokinen by the way? He's not fast or great in the corners but when he gets a little bit of space he can be lethal either with his passing/vision or his excellent shot. He's doing an admirable job filling James Neal's shoes on that line. I kinda wonder how that line will look when Neal gets back though as him and Jussi kinda fill similar roles. Jussi isn't quite as shoot first as Neal but they are similar otherwise.

shaler79

May 7, 2013
Michigan
- Flyers keep losing they'll be firing Holmgoon and making Hackstall the new GM.
Craig Berube head coach, Dave Schultz special teams coach, Behn Wilson defensemen coach :)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Sedins have been the Sedins for years, and Kesler isn't doing anything remarkable thus far. Philly's outscored the Canucks for the past two years regardless.

I wouldn't diminish Philly's offensive ability. These guys can score, and we contained them.

I think Philly is the first team in decades to go the first 8 games scoring less than three goals.

So they aren't exactly an offensive juggernaut right now.

I know what you are going to say though.... Giroux. But, Glass.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Kind of crazy, but through 7 games, the Pens's opponents have a combined 13 wins....and 5 of those are by one team.

13-42 in fact. That is as bad of a stretch of teams I can ever remember them playing.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
They are showing that Maatta pass to Geno again. Oh my lord. It's a TREMENDOUS pass.

I want to keep him as long as possible and think he should go back to juniors, but at this point I'm cool either way.

Say what you will about Gladams (well-deserved), but the entity has been pretty good this season, and played some great hockey tonight.

Glass is actually finishing checks with aplomb, and Adams saved a couple sure goals.

Fleury was outstanding outside of his textbook behind the net goof.

I thought the Martin/Orpik pairing had a rough night by their standards.

I still want Maatta sent down. But man, he's making it tough on me. He's just been so damn solid.

I am in this boat with Maatta. At this point, I'll leave it in Shero's capable hands.

Simmonds was good tonight but he's been brutal all year. I thought Brayden looked pretty good.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Kind of crazy, but through 7 games, the Pens's opponents have a combined 13 wins....and 5 of those are by one team.

13-42 in fact. That is as bad of a stretch of teams I can ever remember them playing.

I knew they were playing some poor teams. But... wow.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

We're still playing good hockey and finally seem to have an actual game plan in place

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The Pens have played a very easy schedule so far this season. I still believe that this lineup will struggle mightily when the completion stiffens. They simply don't have enough grit to compete with the big boys.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Don't look now but Duper is tied with Geno with 8 points. He is also tied with Spezza, Kessel, and Sedin.

Best contract ever.

:sarcasm:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Lets see what happens when we start playing Boston and Toronto.

This is the best this team's looked defensively in a long damn time. We're not at our best b/c Geno's line at ES is a mess and we have no secondary offense.

Neal and Beau will solve that. But we're obviously on the same page come playoffs. We need an upgrade at forward eventually.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

That's startling, I didn't think it was that bad.

Although, NJD - 0, Flyers - 1, Edmonton - 1, Buffalo - 1, Panthers - 2, Carolina - 3, TBL - 5. It makes sense if you think about it, but damn.

According to NHL.com Crosby is already 4 points ahead, and only 1G and 1A behind those respective leaders. He has more points than Buffalo, the Flyers and the Devils respectively have goals...

Lets see what happens when we start playing Boston and Toronto.

They'll probably start playing better and we'll all start complaining about playing down to the competition. Hopefully the roster is less injured by then.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is the best this team's looked defensively in a long damn time. We're not at our best b/c Geno's line at ES is a mess and we have no secondary offense.

Neal and Beau will solve that. But we're obviously on the same page come playoffs. We need an upgrade at forward eventually.

That has me encouraged with 1 concern:

Of our 8 opponents, I'd say that CAR, FL, TB, and EDM were the markedly better skating teams. Save 1/2 or so of the game against Carolina, the defensive structure blew chunks, although we also were playing in those games a lot more 1-2-2 (which got skewered north south) and a lot less 1-3-1 and LW lock.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Joey V needs to just play without a helmet. He's already lost it three times this year. That surely has to be some sort of record.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That has me encouraged with 1 concern:

Of our 8 opponents, I'd say that CAR, FL, TB, and EDM were the markedly better skating teams. Save 1/2 or so of the game against Carolina, the defensive structure blew chunks, although we also were playing in those games a lot more 1-2-2 (which got skewered north south) and a lot less 1-3-1 and LW lock.

With Neal back, Geno's line would be spending a hell of alot more time in the opponent's zone. With Beau back, we have some semblance of depth scoring.

We're 6-1 playing with one legit scoring line and Glass/Adams making up the most effective duo beyond that.

We'll be fine.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
With Neal back, Geno's line would be spending a hell of alot more time in the opponent's zone. With Beau back, we have some semblance of depth scoring.

We're 6-1 playing with one legit scoring line and Glass/Adams making up the most effective duo beyond that.

We'll be fine.

I don't think we won't be fine in the regular season, but I want to see us play this structured a game against top teams when our roster is fully healthy (i.e., I want to see us successfully fight off the impulse to go run and gun when invited to do so).

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
+ Solid team effort. Definitely outplayed the Flyers (except for a few minutes here and there)
+ Fleury. Game could have gone sideways without some key saves.

There are some tough teams coming up that will test the team. Canucks, Avalanche, Islanders and Leafs

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
And maybe it's just me but I don't even find he is pushing that hard just yet. Sick!!!

Crosby is a slow starter, just wait for him to start picking it up as he will get 3 points most nights and finish with 160 points. :sarcasm: Funny thing is, he actually could get 160 points if he had skilled wingers with CRAZY chemistry. Hemsky-Crosby-Palms would be a pretty good 1st line.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We by far have the weakest division. It's actually pretty sad. Bad divisional name, teams, the Pens probably could sleep walk through to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->