Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Flyers & Pens

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Man, we're missing Neal, Bennett, and Letang, and we're on top of the East with only one loss...which happened when we were playing our AHL back-up in his first ever NHL game.

I don't think a 4-1 win is anything to be concerned about under the circumstances.

It's not only about this game, that's the thing. And I know that we are missing key players but we also played some really, really bad hockey clubs.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I know everybody is in good spirits now and I am as happy about that win as the next guy but I find it concerning how we fail to capitalize when we're completely dominating AND consistently invite the opponents to make it a close game again. This really needs to stop, we could have easily lost that one if it wasn't for Philly's pathetic offense.

Glass & Adams were a 3rd line, Engelland was playing forward, & Kobasew spent the entire game in the top 6.

Even with Sid & Geno I don't expect it to be a route with that line up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Best-simpsons-gifs-dancing-ape.gif

I cannot believe you posted a picture of Dr Zaius dancing like a monkey. :shakehead

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I was encouraged by the reappearance of the defensive structure. Pens are much better suited to play that 1-3-1 or LW lock.

Yep. Zone entries were more difficult to come by for the Flyers, and we collapsed well. No easy lanes.

Have to agree. I think you'll see teams getting buried a little more consistently when Tanger and Neal come back. Right now we're missing the overwhelming fire power. It says something about the depth of our offense that we're still piling up the goals even without them.

Well maybe depth is the wrong word. It says something about Sid and Geno :laugh:.

Especially since Geno hasn't been his usual sharp self to start the season. Understandably.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We iced Sid, Geno, 2/3 of the best line in hockey, Sutter, JJ, and a bunch of fourth liners to be precise.

and one defenseman dressed as a winger (and a partridge in a pear tree :laugh:)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's not only about this game, that's the thing. And I know that we are missing key players but we also played some really, really bad hockey clubs.

Everybody's played some bad hockey clubs. We've also played some good hockey clubs. And beat them.

I cannot believe you posted a picture of Dr Zaius dancing like a monkey. :shakehead

He can play the piano, but he couldn't before. That's reason enough for anyone to dance like a monkey.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yep. Zone entries were more difficult to come by for the Flyers, and we collapsed well. No easy lanes.

Especially since Geno hasn't been his usual sharp self to start the season. Understandably.

You know very well that this is the type of stuff I'm looking for. Let's see what they do against the Canucks. It's one thing to employ the disciplined structure against the skating equivalents of The Little Sisters of the Poor. Let's see if the avoid the FL/TB/EDM trap and keep their discipline in that game. It's just such a difference to see how 1-3-1 and LW lock, compared to the old 1-2-2, really forces play east west and prevents odd man rushes against.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
Steve Mason was good, he surprisingly deserves better to this point.

Niskanen led all Pens in corsi by a wide margin (25 to 15). Maatta led in offensive/neutral zone starts by a lot (15 vs 2 in the d zone) - they did a good job of sheltering him tonight while still giving him a good amount of ice time.

Frank Gallagher

Guess who's back.
Apr 14, 2009
Pennsylvania
really nice to see crosby jump out to an early lead in the scoring race. the guy could legit put up 150 pts per season if he had a winger with some skill and some luck staying healthy.

unfortunately we know neither of those things will happen. i think sid is going to get injured in these next few weeks and miss a lot of games, thereby allowing the toad ovechkin to win more hardware.

but at least temporarily, all is right in the world.

i also wonder how long it will be until the pens pr machine starts trying to prop up the idea of fleury as a vezina candidate.

jeez, cue the violins and the anti-depressants, please?

Sid looks indefatigable at the moment. Truly just on a tear to start the year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You know very well that this is the type of stuff I'm looking for. Let's see what they do against the Canucks. It's one thing to employ the disciplined structure against the skating equivalents of The Little Sisters of the Poor. Let's see if the avoid the FL/TB/EDM trap and keep their discipline in that game. It's just such a difference to see how 1-3-1 and LW lock, compared to the old 1-2-2, really forces play east west and prevents odd man rushes against.

I think the Flyers have a deeper and more potent offense than the Canucks (slow start aside), but to each his own.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
MAF's game right now is preparing for Game 1 of the playoffs. How he approaches practice, to games etc. Theres a lot less of the goofy stuff going on with him.

His energy output is in the right places. Positioning, finding pucks and his athletic ability just aides him.

It'll always be, "i'll wait for the playoffs", i realize this, but he's in a good place right now imo. Great start for him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Eh. I think Kesler's going to have a damn good year under Torts. And the Sedins are the Sedins.

The Sedins have been the Sedins for years, and Kesler isn't doing anything remarkable thus far. Philly's outscored the Canucks for the past two years regardless.

I wouldn't diminish Philly's offensive ability. These guys can score, and we contained them.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
Vancouver's bottom 6 is severely lacking. that and a terrible start for Hamhuis makes them a less dangerous team right now. the Sedin's are split up and playing well though.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Was at the game.
Barely noticed Harry Z all night..

Highlight of the night.. wasn't any of the goals, but the skate pass at the blue line by Olli Maatta.. does this kid have confidence or what? The entire crowd was buzzing after that. He's NHL ready, too bad he will be sent back to Juniors.

Saw a fight break out right in front of me by stupid drunk fans after Crosby scored the 3rd goal.
Flyers fans are idiots, more so tonight than any other game i've been to in philly..

Game wasn't as chippy as I thought it would be.. nice to see Malkin put the nail in the coffin.

Steve Mason played very well for the flyers tonight.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I love what Harry Z brings. He lacks talent but the guy personifies an energy player. He is relentless and leaves absolutely everything out there.

I'm almost starting to like Tanner Glass. Good lord. :facepalm: :laugh:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Flyers have their worst start in franchise history ... anyone else find it odd that there's not a single thread about it on the main board? Not interested in starting one, just find it odd is all.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Was at the game.
Barely noticed Harry Z all night..

Highlight of the night.. wasn't any of the goals, but the skate pass at the blue line by Olli Maatta.. does this kid have confidence or what? The entire crowd was buzzing after that. He's NHL ready, too bad he will be sent back to Juniors.

Saw a fight break out right in front of me by stupid drunk fans after Crosby scored the 3rd goal.
Flyers fans are idiots, more so tonight than any other game i've been to in philly..

Game wasn't as chippy as I thought it would be.. nice to see Malkin put the nail in the coffin.

Steve Mason played very well for the flyers tonight.
That was unreal. Very Sid-esque.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I love what Harry Z brings. He lacks talent but the guy personifies an energy player. He is relentless and leaves absolutely everything out there.

I'm almost starting to like Tanner Glass. Good lord. :facepalm: :laugh:

Zolnerczyk would be a part of a great energy line, just let him buzz around and be annoying.

I kind of like Tanner "Playing for a contract this season" Glass so far, still overpaid.

Please, just let some of the injured players come back, Letang and Bennett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad