Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: End the road trip right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Going forward, JR should be focusing on moving forwards for either picks or straight up hockey trade for dmen. We have plenty of forwards close to being ready. Need to play in the reg season to up their value.

Also need to make room for our high end guys like Bellerive and Hallander. If those two reach their potential this team will be even better. Bellerive could be a much better version of Rust. Maybe even stay at center. Hallander could be Hornqvist. Allows us to not only trade others to get assets down the road or add to the D.

Time to look ahead to extend this window. Some keep thinking its only a couple more years but Sid/Geno will still be great in their mid to late 30s IMO. Dont even have to be the best players in the game at that point if there are others surrounding them. Good example is the Sharks with Thornton and Marleau. Got older and thought that team was gonna fall off but surrounded them with more talent.

Should be able to sneak in another cup late in their careers. I say 5 total. Not far fetched at all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Uh.. literally said Sprong had a good game in my first post in the thread.

Since you can’t be bothered to read “Big plus for Sprong after that assist. He looked really good.”

I was talking specifically about the number of shots he took. You seemed to be harping non stop on his lack of shots as some sort of indictment of him, but didn't really mention it when he actually did take a lot of shots.

Just figured the fact he took that many shots would be one of the first things you'd notice and comment on given how his lack of shots prior was such a sticking point for you.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The big guns were very good tonight. Geno is other worldly! Simon other than a bad icing play had a very good game tonight. That guy (in most cases) makes really good decisions with the puck.

Congrats to Desmith on the shutout.

Real happy we kept the Canucks under 30 shots. Our positioning was pretty good considering the Canucks speed as we largely kept them on the outside.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
hopefully Brassard comes back and Sprong can get a spot with him.

Id think about trading Brassard if he doesnt start doing what we thought he would. May just not be a good fit. Some look at his numbers and say hes been ok, but have to realize with him on our 3rd line(especially when he was playing with Kessel..) It should have been the best 3rd line in the league. Creating total mismatches in most games. Our expectations should be much higher..not just comparing him to other 3rd line centers.

If that doesnt happen and others step up we could get a solid return for him and upgrade the D. A playoff team would give up something close to what we did. Teams are desperate for centers.

Not saying he ruins our chemistry but we were playing lights out before that deadline and doing great without him now. Dont exactly " need" him to win. We do need another talented dman.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I was talking specifically about the number of shots he took. You seemed to be harping non stop on his lack of shots as some sort of indictment of him, but didn't really mention it when he actually did take a lot of shots.

Just figured the fact he took that many shots would be one of the first things you'd notice and comment on given how his lack of shots prior was such a sticking point for you.

Sullivan just mentioned it in his post game. I don’t understand why a shooter wouldn’t be criticized for 3 shots in 7 games unless you have an agenda.

Reactions: BillPrep

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Going forward, JR should be focusing on moving forwards for either picks or straight up hockey trade for dmen. We have plenty of forwards close to being ready. Need to play in the reg season to up their value.

Also need to make room for our high end guys like Bellerive and Hallander. If those two reach their potential this team will be even better. Bellerive could be a much better version of Rust. Maybe even stay at center. Hallander could be Hornqvist. Allows us to not only trade others to get assets down the road or add to the D.

Time to look ahead to extend this window. Some keep thinking its only a couple more years but Sid/Geno will still be great in their mid to late 30s IMO. Dont even have to be the best players in the game at that point if there are others surrounding them. Good example is the Sharks with Thornton and Marleau. Got older and thought that team was gonna fall off but surrounded them with more talent.

Should be able to sneak in another cup late in their careers. I say 5 total. Not far fetched at all.

When did the Sharks move players the caliber of Hornqvist out?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
PERFECT road trip. Great job boys!
Yep! You couldn't draw it up much better than that. Outscoring our opponents 23-6, winning all four games with each goalie securing a shutout and most every player made meaningful contributions. It should be a pleasant group coming home.

Maybe go to Banff against next year?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I love Oleksiak! When he's got a nose for the net he's at his best. I love seeing him do his thing in front of THE OPPONENT'S net. Awesome.
He's much better playing the right side. He played well with Cole in that scenario, looked similar tonight with Maatta. They were a +8 combined!

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
When did the Sharks move players the caliber of Hornqvist out?

Agree. Probably never. They've lost high end talent to FA, sure. But rarely have they built up via trading out high end talent.

Their European scouting and minor league skill building are what allows talent to bubble up and around the big gun anchor points.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Agree. Probably never. They've lost high end talent to FA, sure. But rarely have they built up via trading out high end talent.

(even if you want to argue getting like Kane and Karlsson were getting the team 'younger' they really gave up jack **** for those guys---it was amazing steals! "The Sharks acquired forward Evander Kane in a trade with the Buffalo Sabres Monday for a conditional 2019 first-round draft pick, a 2019 conditional fourth-round pick and prospect Danny O’Regan" and "Chris Tierney, Josh Norris and Rudolfs Balcers, defenseman Dylan DeMelo, a first-round pick in 2019 or 2020, a second-round pick in 2019 and two conditional draft picks in the trade.").

Their European scouting and minor league skill building are what allows talent to bubble up and around the big gun anchor points.

Yeah, the Sharks have extended their window through surrounding their talent and developing it. Literally doing exactly
what the Penguins do.

The one thing the Sharks don’t do is bring in rentals.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think both Sprong and Simon showed what they can do when they play with talent. It's no coincidence that both guys looked so much more like the talented offensive players they are when they got shifts with Sid/Geno respectively.

Simon, in particular, should be kept with Sid and Jake for the foreseeable future. No more friggin' Rust on that line, for Heaven's sake.
The only problem I can see there is the issue of a LW'er playing RW especially when we have such weak LW'ers after Guentzel, offensively.

I am curious about Sprong on the left side though with Brass and Rust.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Yeah, the Sharks have extended their window through surrounding their talent and developing it. Literally doing exactly
what the Penguins do.

The one thing the Sharks don’t do is bring in rentals.

I think it was ColePens on rentals not even working out well recently. I would say, if you are actually serious in contending, you will find that rentals do not work and haven't for about a decade+.

Rentals are desperate attempts by bubble teams to lose what talent they have for no gain.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This sums up the Canucks offense against us.

BAtKIko.gif

Reactions: Zirakzigil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad