Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: End the road trip right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hey @ColePens, a note about one thing that makes HMK so lethal.

One of Geno's big weaknesses as a player is that he hates to give up the puck. If he doesn't think a linemate will get a dump in, he is loathe to dump it in, even if it's the right thing to do.

With Hags, he'll dump it in. Phil will too.

So, IF you step up on them in the neutral zone, they are dumping cross corner and Hags is getting there first. IF you lay back, then either Geno or Phil is getting a zone entry.

It really puts the other team in an impossible situation.

As long as HMK doesn't get too cute with the puck, especially in the neutral zone, and as long as Geno and Phil give you what they've been giving you the last 2 weeks defensively, then that line can be what we know it can be.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So when are you guy going to legalize weed in Pittsburgh? It works.

We gots Yuengling and brats! Thank you!

yuengling-beer-brats-with-onions-1.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you watched the game, it's not hard to figure out the pluses and minuses.

That said, once Brassard is back, Grant should sit. Nice guy but he was absolutely invisible. Would rather have a "maybe" of Sprong. Hopefully that set up to Geno gives him a little swag.

Really happy for DeSmith. I love when backups play solid games for their team. Kid has been clutch for us all season.

For me also, I love that we are in the east and Vancouver is in the west. They are a fun team to watch. Their young core is fast and skilled and quite honestly, a treat to watch. Happy for Vancouver fans to get that after a rough couple of years.

Last...as we've always known...when this team wants to show up...they can be unstoppable. Lolz at Washington squeeking out a shootout victory over a team we steamrolled 9-1.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I missed large chunks of the game but I just hope we can bring the road game defensive mentality back home with us...great trip!

Hoping Simon and Sprong can keep this up...

Reactions: EightyOne

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
holding the fort in the first was huge. I remember a LOT of that in the 2017 season. That's the goaltending and general team defensive effort we need. We can have a sloppy period if it's not catastrophic. And a bad period that ends 0-0 seems to spark our guys.

Yeah when it’s not going well at least we are still battling hard and trying to get back into the game. This point last season it would have been a blowout loss.

Work hard and our skill/talent will eventually get us up. Hard to keep us down for 3 periods if we work hard.

Just going to say work hard again, work hard :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hey @ColePens, a note about one thing that makes HMK so lethal.

One of Geno's big weaknesses as a player is that he hates to give up the puck. If he doesn't think a linemate will get a dump in, he is loathe to dump it in, even if it's the right thing to do.

With Hags, he'll dump it in. Phil will too.

So, IF you step up on them in the neutral zone, they are dumping cross corner and Hags is getting there first. IF you lay back, then either Geno or Phil is getting a zone entry.

It really puts the other team in an impossible situation.

As long as HMK doesn't get too cute with the puck, especially in the neutral zone, and as long as Geno and Phil give you what they've been giving you the last 2 weeks defensively, then that line can be what we know it can be.

It is kind of what I was hinting at when I said that this line even at its worse can easily win a game.

If we can afford to have Kessel with Crosby or Malkin we need to. No reason for him to be on the third line with the depth we have.

Reactions: Freedom and KIRK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The big boys obviously came to play, but I was glad to see guys like Simon and Sprong have good games. Not just that, but get on the scoresheet with both guys being instrumental in the goal being scored.

DeSmith was so solid tonight. Like has been said, he held down the fort until the offense kicked into high gear.

Oleksiak ... looks very good offensively. Great at joining the rush, nice set of hands, and a great shot. Now he just needs to clean up his defensive game.

Also, big plus to the team defense. Finally starting to resemble a team that doesn't look like headless chickens in their own zone all the time.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Just watch Sid on his second goal. Understands the play better than anyone I have ever seen. It’s like he can see the ice from the stands.

Speaking of smarts, did Sprong get an intelligence boost? It looked like he actually understood things for once. Usually he looks like an idiot that follows the play.

He had one decent shift with Geno. He still looked pretty clueless out there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah when it’s not going well at least we are still battling hard and trying to get back into the game. This point last season it would have been a blowout loss.

Work hard and our skill/talent will eventually get us up. Hard to keep us down for 3 periods if we work hard.

Just going to say work hard again, work hard :laugh:
the first Montreal game this year is what happens when we aren't working hard.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sprong at the end of the game was handling the puck like a man with no pressure.

I loved seeing that.

Western Conference swing sweep. Nice. Also nice to have solved our back up issue for the time being and Murray playing well too. Defense still has some hiccups and the lines still need work but hey this is f***ing good.

Really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad