Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: End the road trip right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That pass from Sprong to Geno was awesome. Sprong on the left with Kessel and Malkin may actually work too because of the commitment Geno and Phil have had to defense. I have no idea where this Phil Kessel has come from. It's awesome though.

No way in hell would Sprong and Kessel both work with Geno. Hags does so much for that line that nobody realizes. Especially keeping 3 on 2s even numbered at 3 on 3s.

Sprong/Kessel flanking G would be bruuuuuutal.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the dump in factor is huge. They are so hard to defend because you can't commit completely to either the dump or the puck carrying option on d. If you make that one dimensional I think you'll start to see a lot more of Geno and Phil forcing plays and leading to not only losing the puck but also dangerous chances against.

Speaking of... "dump factor" it's one aspect of the game I wish Simon/Sprong were better at. It comes with time in the NHL. Horny is a great example of a guy who can soft dump to space whether it is in the corner or just out of the zone to safety. That's an NHL trick that is not easy because guys hand/eye skill and the goalies are so good at knocking pucks. Sprong keeps wrapping it around too hard and goalies are stopping it. Simon tried finessing the puck and either ices it out of the zone or if he goes to dump it's not at a good angle our forwards can scoop to it.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Oh god. That dude.

I was convinced Shero had a rager for him and was sure to take him. I guess it didn't end up mattering, regardless.

Then again, tiny Rocco Grimaldi busted hard in the same draft. Then the next year, Josh Anderson and Tom Wilson turned out to be what the Leafs figured Biggs could become, and small skilled Yakupov ended up being one the biggest busts ever.

It's less about the "size queen" mindset and more about the individuals, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->