Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: "Deja Vu All Over Again"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
My biggest takeaway from yesterday's game is that Geno is awful right now. Easily our worst player. He was elite last season yet he's a liability this season. It's like he stopped caring. And most importantly, a wasted a pick on him in fantasy hockey.

I guess you won’t like that that was probably Malkin’s best game of the season so far :laugh:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
To build on this discussion...

This year his OZone starts are still around 31% and his DZone are 69%

His Corsi is at 57.4%...his TOI is at a pathetic 11 minutes/game.

The way he's playing that needs bumped up. Give him any semblance of wing talent and maybe a few more offensive assignments and he's scoring a lot more points.

Blueger has definitely developed more and what we once thought was a weakness in Center depth is now a strength. I think we are very strong down the middle and agree that Blueger would really light it up with points if given a more even zone assignments and playing with better wingers. We do get a taste of that with Kapanen on his line now. That pretty much has given us two 3rd lines with Kapanen with Blueger. We need Kapanen on the top line though because I can't watch another game with Rodrigues on that top line. It is nice to know that Blueger could fill in on a scoring line in case of injury. That will let McCann stay at wing if that happens.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
My biggest takeaway from yesterday's game is that Geno is awful right now. Easily our worst player. He was elite last season yet he's a liability this season. It's like he stopped caring. And most importantly, a wasted a pick on him in fantasy hockey.

Geno was good yesterday. He generated a ton. Including a chance for Rust where the Rangers goalie made a spectacular toe save.

I'm way less worried about his all around game now. I still don't like him on the PP right now especially because my concerns about his shot are growing (and yes I know he had a 'vintage Geno' goal for his 1st 2 games ago).

How can anyone say Geno was worse than Letang, Dumo and Zucker last night?

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If Doc says Geno was good then he was definitely good!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
don't worry...it will happen sooner rater than later, we will find out that Jank is every bit of a player Flames fans told us about, (he was invisible last night) Blueger will take over as a true 3rd line center

OMG...Is this how it's gonna be all season?

It's been 5 games people. There's been some unsustainable things at work here.

TB has 4 shots and a 50% completion rate where TB was "cherry picking" on a 5 on 3 PK, and a fortuitous bounce off the backboards for an empty net goal. 3 points in 2 games.

Back up... a little.

The entire 3rd line hasn't exactly been terrible. They were our best line for most of the games

5 games...

I will cheer on Blue, but you guys are making it not so fun... Can't you just be happy for Teddy without clamoring injustice? Now if you want to say our bottom 2 lines should be playing over the top two lines in these last 5 games? I'm with you, but again, this will be unsustainable. There has to be some balance and not some kneejerk overreaction rioting every time TB has some good to great games. I certainly don't go around claiming Jank is going to be more than he already is. Not every game guys are going to stand out. This is true throughout the lineup top to bottom.

There will be highs and lows.

But... I will agree on...

uU07Pa4.gif

Reactions: Peat

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010

Happens a lot on this forum - somebody makes a big mistake late in the game and you get tons of posts about how awful he has been, even if he has done perfectly fine before that. Yes, that late turnover was brutal and then there was some lazy defending in OT too but overall Geno and Rust created a ton of chances even though Zucker played like a guy from a beer league.

Weird stats of the day - Geno has zero PIM so far, Jake is somehow -5 while Crosby is only -2.

Reactions: vodeni

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The thing with a pairing like that is you have to wonder if someone like DeAngelo crumbles when they’re put with someone like Johnson. They won’t make up for their deficiencies if they’re falling apart. It was the same with Schultz and sticking a struggling player returning from a serious injury with Johnson. Who knows how things would have gone if they didn’t throw the guy to the wolves over and over. You make the shortcomings worse and kill any positives by putting some players in a bad position. A 53 points in 68 games and +12 (Whitby stat, yes) defenseman does point to him previously out scoring a lot of deficiencies which he’s not going to do with Johnson. He sank Letang who is better than Schultz or Deangelo; if the partner is worse, question if they’re imploding over being paired with Johnson rather than being worse in a vacuum.

Really like with the Pens, Johnson just shouldn’t have been signed because he’s awful and doesn’t fit with the roster needs of the team in reality rather than GM fantasy land. If you have a risky all offense D who does nothing else then get a real defensive stalwart for the modern nhl to pair with him. If your coaches won’t make someone like a Johnson a 7D (lower, it’s lower) then don’t sign him. Of course the pairing is terrible but it never should have happened.

You and I have some different life philosophies, though. It takes all kinds but lol.

That's the thing about life. We should be unique/different and be able to co-exist and love one another. There is my hippie love for y'all. :laugh: I see some really nasty things said about athletes and other on-screen people as if they aren't human. They are human.

That deal for JJ is beyond inexcusable from a professional perspective of JR. Like let's take JR's other HORRIFIC trade, the Reaves trade. At least it had purpose. Even if we all disagree with it, the purpose of it made sense. So... so be it. But the JJ one was bad. Like this guy was just scratched for the playoffs. He was brutal. Everyone saw it. I have NO CLUE what JR was thinking. NO CLUE. So bad. So so so so so bad.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Geno was good yesterday. He generated a ton. Including a chance for Rust where the Rangers goalie made a spectacular toe save.

I'm way less worried about his all around game now. I still don't like him on the PP right now especially because my concerns about his shot are growing (and yes I know he had a 'vintage Geno' goal for his 1st 2 games ago).

Agreed! I don't think we all saw the same Geno last night :\.

He set Zucker & Rust on multiple chances. He was backchecking and had some takeaways to his credit. He drove the net and tried to beat people one-on-one (which hadn't been happening recently).

Too bad his linemates were pretty useless!

Yes, he screwed up once in front of his net, but that shouldn't take away from the rest of his game.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That's the thing about life. We should be unique/different and be able to co-exist and love one another. There is my hippie love for y'all. :laugh: I see some really nasty things said about athletes and other on-screen people as if they aren't human. They are human.

That deal for JJ is beyond inexcusable from a professional perspective of JR. Like let's take JR's other HORRIFIC trade, the Reaves trade. At least it had purpose. Even if we all disagree with it, the purpose of it made sense. So... so be it. But the JJ one was bad. Like this guy was just scratched for the playoffs. He was brutal. Everyone saw it. I have NO CLUE what JR was thinking. NO CLUE. So bad. So so so so so bad.

Yeah... I’m not a hippie love for all type.

The thing with Reaves was that it didn’t seem like Sullivan and JR were on the same page with him. It may have had some logic (logic I dispute) behind it but something went very wrong there. It shouldn’t have happened because the coach went “gee, thanks. What do I use this for?” like that Christmas gift I have in the closet and JR needed to know or accept that. Likewise with JJ, he should have known he was signing an awful player to an abomination of a deal. The man has been trying to out stubborn reality for years now.

What kills me is that the Rangers saw how his time in Columbus ended and how his time in Pittsburgh went. Signed him. Albeit to a deal that wasn’t insane even if I’d still say it’s overpaying him. JJ’s NHL career is insane like that, it’s been an illusion in a lot of ways and now it’s delusion from GMs keeping him going.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah... I’m not a hippie love for all type.

The thing with Reaves was that it didn’t seem like Sullivan and JR were on the same page with him. It may have had some logic (logic I dispute) behind it but something went very wrong there. It shouldn’t have happened because the coach went “gee, thanks. What do I use this for?” like that Christmas gift I have in the closet and JR needed to know or accept that. Likewise with JJ, he should have known he was signing an awful player to an abomination of a deal. The man has been trying to out stubborn reality for years now.

What kills me is that the Rangers saw how his time in Columbus ended and how his time in Pittsburgh went. Signed him. Albeit to a deal that wasn’t insane even if I’d still say it’s overpaying him. JJ’s NHL career is insane like that, it’s been an illusion in a lot of ways and now it’s delusion from GMs keeping him going.

I think the Rangers hiring Jacques Martin prior to JJ is my favourite part of him signing in NY.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Sully's refusal to put Kapanen on the top line and insisting on keeping Rodrigues there is seriously making it difficult to enjoy the games.

The fact they still look sloppy way too often and come out so bad most games, only to have to "dig deep" late in the game, doesn't help.

A win is a win, I suppose. But I'm not seeing any sort of improvement in the areas they've struggled with since Game 1.

Amen. So essentially, GMJR traded a first round pick for a fourth liner. Great idea!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Amen. So essentially, GMJR traded a first round pick for a fourth liner. Great idea!
Kappy will be on the 1st line soon, he's out of shape and needs time to get back into the rhythm or something we are led to believe. I say he looks good so throw him in. I'm still pissed we gave up a 1st for him but it's whatever, it's over with we gotta put him where he will play his best. I've already lost too many brain cells from when we signed JJ all the way to the Matheson trade.

Reactions: ncm7772

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I just read through this, and holy shit. You guys need to settle down. There was a very limited training camp. There are limited practices because of the game schedule. I think we just need some dust to settle. Everything will be fine.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I just read through this, and holy shit. You guys need to settle down. There was a very limited training camp. There are limited practices because of the game schedule. I think we just need some dust to settle. Everything will be fine.
Every team could claim these same excuses...

giphy.gif

We have played very poorly. It’s more than just being rusty.

Let’s see how we play against Boston, because they are playing well. I’m glad we are on a 3 game win streak, but it also sucks to allow all of those GM games to go to OT.

The solution to the team’s problem is so simple. Dump Sully.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

giphy.gif

Let’s see how we play against Boston, because they are playing well. I’m glad we are on a 3 game win streak, but it also sucks to allow all of those GM games to go to OT.

If you think a coaching change fixes everything that plagues this team, you are delusional.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010

That's the status quo for here though isn't it?

I can understand the frustration though. It seems like a lot of teams are passing us by with talent. The Rangers and Flyers are becoming much more of legitimate contenders. The Islanders, Capitals and Bruins I'd say are better teams on paper. It's a bit worrying especially given the age of all the talent the Penguins have.

I understand that isn't so much a coaching issue, as much as it is a management issue. The Penguins are slowly repeating what befell the Blackhawks. Clinging onto players that helped them win by giving out ridiculous contracts. Then, instead of letting that player play out their contract or trading them below their value, they trade them for a much worse contract and player. I'm fine with keeping Sullivan around with a new GM, but I haven't been fine with Rutherford for about 3 years now.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If you think a coaching change fixes everything that plagues this team, you are delusional.
Okay, let’s keep Sully and trade Jarry, Zucker, Dumo, and Geno since they are struggling under his flawless “system.”

You can’t fire all of the players, so there is only one thing left to try. Is it a guarantee to work? Nope, but Sully has run his course, so what is their to lose at this point?

Maybe he can make the playoffs and accidentally double his playoff wins to two over the last several years if he can sneak out a win in a series.

1-9 in the playoffs over the last 10 games. The one win came against the 24th best team in the league.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

giphy.gif

Pens have issues, no doubt.

But they aren’t the only ones right now.

Reactions: JTG

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

Great post. The rabid line shuffling debate is little kid video game logic. To be fair some of the posters are probably little kids.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Okay, let’s keep Sully and trade Jarry, Zucker, Dumo, and Geno since they are struggling under his flawless “system.”

You can’t fire all of the players, so there is only one thing left to try. Is it a guarantee to work? Nope, but Sully has run his course, so what is their to lose at this point?

Maybe he can make the playoffs and accidentally double his playoff wins to two over the last several years if he can sneak out a win in a series.

1-9 in the playoffs over the last 10 games. The one win came against the 24th best team in the league.

You're not going to get the coach fired so find something else productive to do.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don’t even think Zucker is struggling. He’s noticeable. He’s playing hard, tracking down pucks and pressuring the opposing D. Just not getting on the score sheet. Not saying it’s acceptable, because he is a top 6 winger, but I’m not worried about him like I am Dumo.

And I’m willing to be more patient with him bc the way Sullivan is handling the top 6 is pathetic.

Zucker scored a lot with Sid. It doesn’t look right with Malkin. Not exactly like Sids line is on fire or too hot to mess with. Put him on L1 for gods sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad