Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: "Deja Vu All Over Again"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Okay, let’s keep Sully and trade Jarry, Zucker, Dumo, and Geno since they are struggling under his flawless “system.”

You can’t fire all of the players, so there is only one thing left to try. Is it a guarantee to work? Nope, but Sully has run his course, so what is their to lose at this point?

Maybe he can make the playoffs and accidentally double his playoff wins to two over the last several years if he can sneak out a win in a series.

1-9 in the playoffs over the last 10 games. The one win came against the 24th best team in the league.

It's 5 games man. There have been some glimmers of hope in the areas that were identified as weakness this offseason. What this team needs is for its top players to wake up a bit and for Jarry to play like he did last year. I think our top guys will wake up. I hope Jarry figures his game out.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It's 5 games man. There have been some glimmers of hope in the areas that were identified as weakness this offseason. What this team needs is for its top players to wake up a bit and for Jarry to play like he did last year. I think our top guys will wake up. I hope Jarry figures his game out.

shorter season, but Geno wasn’t good for the first few games last year too IIRC

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don’t even think Zucker is struggling. He’s noticeable. He’s playing hard, tracking down pucks and pressuring the opposing D. Just not getting on the score sheet. Not saying it’s acceptable, because he is a top 6 winger, but I’m not worried about him like I am Dumo.

And I’m willing to be more patient with him bc the way Sullivan is handling the top 6 is pathetic.

Zucker scored a lot with Sid. It doesn’t look right with Malkin. Not exactly like Sids line is on fire or too hot to mess with. Put him on L1 for gods sake.

I thought Zucker and the Malkin line looked really good the other night.

People are just mad because he shanked a beauty chance and later blew a tire in OT.

Guentzel is obviously a way better fit there, but Sullivan has this silly ‘pairs’ philosophy he holds steadfast to, so whatever.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I thought Zucker and the Malkin line looked really good the other night.

I agree about last game. And the pairs thing is not necessarily a philosophy I disagree with.

Just don’t get why the pairs themselves can’t be shaken up. I understand Sully wants Jake-Sid but Crosby desperately needs a faster F1 presence right now to establish possession and that’s not Jake’s game, while Geno needs someone who plays with some touch (both finishing and playmaking) on his line for when they gain the zone and cycle the puck but have it result in little substance.

I get it’s 5 games in, it may look different on the actual ice and not a TV, but imo it’s very clear something is disjointed in the T6 and it can’t hurt to try something. Everything points to trying to swap the LWs including the last reg season and Habs series.

* Watch the lines finally click tonight after I type all this.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If you think a coaching change fixes everything that plagues this team, you are delusional.

This team's big problem is horribly inconsistent play from the core. Coaching changes frequently get better form from the core. I'm not sure what's delusional thinking a coaching change could pay big.

That's the status quo for here though isn't it?

I can understand the frustration though. It seems like a lot of teams are passing us by with talent. The Rangers and Flyers are becoming much more of legitimate contenders. The Islanders, Capitals and Bruins I'd say are better teams on paper. It's a bit worrying especially given the age of all the talent the Penguins have.

I understand that isn't so much a coaching issue, as much as it is a management issue. The Penguins are slowly repeating what befell the Blackhawks. Clinging onto players that helped them win by giving out ridiculous contracts. Then, instead of letting that player play out their contract or trading them below their value, they trade them for a much worse contract and player. I'm fine with keeping Sullivan around with a new GM, but I haven't been fine with Rutherford for about 3 years now.

What players are we clinging onto with ridiculous contracts? Schultz walked, Murray was traded, Hornqvist traded, Kessel was traded, Hagelin traded, Bonino walked, Daley walked, Kunitz walked... and the only one of that traded list we gave a new contract to is Hornqvist. That's a pretty objective fact. We're going to some extremes to avoid being the Blackhawks.

I also like our roster more than the Islanders and Caps - by quite a lot really - and don't see a problem with the fact we're standing still while the Rangers and Flyers improve because that's just how the NHL is set up. I think Rutherford's done a far better job these last eighteen months or so than Sullivan.

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad