Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: "Deja Vu All Over Again"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Even from Florida with Horny & Math as the base, I think we could have extracted way more value. Like at least a 2nd & 3rd or so.

A warrior power-forward winger with aging considerations signed for 3 years isn't a great asset. But a healthy scratch Dman signed for 6 years has very negative value. We see he's physically talented and there's a chance we could rehab him. That's great! But you should still negotiate to get as much as you can. And that's way more than just Sceviour.

The Kahun/Sheary trade was another one where I felt like we wasted the chance to get more value in the form of picks. Just much lower stakes. Because we aren't on the hook for $29M of Sheary.

Yeah JR has thrown a lot of value away over the years. He's never been a value guy, but we could have had 2 or 3 extra 3rd round pick assets.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
More good stuff from Kappy. Showing a bit of vision to set up POJ for the shot. Robbing Peter to pay Paul though, playing him on the 4th line. HAAAAATE seeing ERod still on the top line every 2nd shift. So far Kapanen has been way better than expected, but the thing is that his MO has always been that he outplays bottom 6 minutes and underplays when he's in the top lines. Still have to see if that's the case.

EDIT: Malkin just made the dumbest play with about 4 mins to go in front intercepting a D to D pass then turning it over to two Rangers. Wtf.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t either, but at least CC didn’t do anything dumb tonight.

Wish I could say that would last, but I know better.

the only thing with Ceci there, and this is nothing about Ceci, is that it forces Marino to his offside where’s he’s not really that good...POJ there allows him to play his natural sidewhich will greatly improve the second pair even if you don’t think POJ is better than Ceci...there’s time for development and there’s times of desperation, which is now...POJ has had a lot of time to work on his game in Wilkes...if he can handle 13 min tonight, I don’t think his development is going to be impaired by playing another 5 min with Marino

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

tumblr_lukx5xwiQk1qeypwyo1_500.gif

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
the only thing with Ceci there, and this is nothing about Ceci, is that it forces Marino to his offside where’s he’s not really that good...POJ there allows him to play his natural sidewhich will greatly improve the second pair even if you don’t think POJ is better than Ceci...there’s time for development and there’s times of desperation, which is now...POJ has had a lot of time to work on his game in Wilkes...if he can handle 13 min tonight, I don’t think his development is going to be impaired by playing another 5 min with Marino

It’s not higher minutes being an issue in terms of fitness, just the minutes will be more difficult if he’s in the top four.

You want to let him get his skates wet and adjust to the speed and strength of NHLers.

If he shows he can handle it after 15-20 games, and a need arises where he needs to be bumped up, then maybe you do it.

That’s exactly what we saw with Marino last season now that I think about it.

Just way too early right now, unfortunately.

Reactions: Peat and Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It’s not higher minutes being an issue in terms of fitness, just the minutes will be more difficult if he’s in the top four.

You want to let him get his skates wet and adjust to the speed and strength of NHLers.

If he shows he can handle it after 15-20 games, and a need arises where he needs to be bumped up, then maybe you do it.

That’s exactly what we saw with Marino last season now that I think about it.

Just way too early right now, unfortunately.

And the same route they should take with Matheson too.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sully's refusal to put Kapanen on the top line and insisting on keeping Rodrigues there is seriously making it difficult to enjoy the games.

The fact they still look sloppy way too often and come out so bad most games, only to have to "dig deep" late in the game, doesn't help.

A win is a win, I suppose. But I'm not seeing any sort of improvement in the areas they've struggled with since Game 1.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Yeah JR has thrown a lot of value away over the years. He's never been a value guy, but we could have had 2 or 3 extra 3rd round pick assets.
He’s said fairly recently that he doesn’t want to win trades too big because it makes the other GM look bad. Like dude, you’re in your 70s. How much time do you think you have left in this league?

Reactions: Beau Knows

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I saw some comments in the GDT saying Ceci was playing well. The dude was a disaster waiting to happen numerous times. Only by sheer luck did he not have an awful game. I don’t think I’ve ever watched an NHL defenseman just drift out of position so many times in a game. Like I seriously think that he can’t pay attention to the game while he’s on the ice. It was absolutely bizarre to see.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
First period:
Decent flow. POJ was very fluent, and even when Jarry took the puck over behind the net and passed it out himself POJ was there and in position to do it if Jarry wasn't there. POJ even went in on a rush but puck got covered. 1-0

TB had 2 turnovers, 1st leading to a 3 on 2 and the 2nd at their own blueline for NYR's to quickly go back in. He had good flow otherwise. Even on his first turnover he didn't lose it until deep in NYR's left circle.

Period 2:
Jake delay of game and Ruh's over pursuit on the PK cost them 1-1. POJ made a nice kick pass clear. Was pretty good throughout.
Sid took another penalty not long after and Letang didn't make the easy clear 2-1
Next shift: Pens forwards got caught deep and a 4 on 3 occurred. Shot on net, not really anyone's fault with a easy shoot in on the rebound.

Back to back to back quick goals with 2 being on the PK.

3-1

Pens PP Jake almost scored in tight. Letang on the 2nd unit gave it away on a tip off his pass.

POJ wasn't out much with special teams in use, got a shot off with the 2nd line on after PP, and shot the puck back in the zone and end up being offsides. Icing on Ruh kept them out there. Crisp clean breakout pass coming out from behind the net from POJ.

TB was good on the PK's, and he got a decent shot off from the blueline on the rush. Nothing too threatening.

Pens PP 2nd unit - McCann scores off an own goal. Geno drew the PP.
3-2

POJ had a very good shift with just over around a minute left. Hustle back to help get a clear, plus a nice pass block to clear and move up the ice for some O-zone time. He didn't see any special team time PP or PK. Straight 5 on 5. Sheltered.

After the 3 goal rush by the NYR's the Pens settled/dialed in the rest of the period.

3rd period: 3-2

2nd line on and a little sloppy with a couple rushes that one puck went off their own crossbar.

POJ wasn't bad at all, he did have a puck get past him on a deep pinch, but he had a couple nice close-offs with having the first trickle to Jarry for the cover, and another good work of getting the puck up from a pass from working behind the net while pressured.

PK was really strong by all.

Jarry "was solid" A lot of good saves he should make. At least 3/5 quality saves.

TB goal: TB passes up to Kap who skates into the zone and dropfeeds it back to POJ who shot and it was off net for a great fortunate bounce for a empty netter by Teddy. Huge game tying goal and POJ's first point!!!

Pens/NYRs traded some good chances from there. Letang/Geno with some turnovers that lead us into OT.

3-3

Zucker wiped out/fell down and almost cost the game. Crazy good chances both ways in OT. Jake almost pulled off his shoot out goal from the last game in OT.

Pens crushed it in the dot and McCann was the lowest at 50% with lofty numbers from the rest. Really shocking numbers from the not so very good guys this year. TB 75%/Jank 58%

Did not seem as bad when watching it the second time around. But there were some high danger chances that need cleaned up. It was basically that quick flurry of goals in a 3 minute span that killed them.

POJ was sheltered, but he was almost flawless in his 13 minutes of 5 on 5 time. He works well with his speed and at most he gets bumped, not eaten up like the rest. All from just getting there first and don't allow heavy engagement. Great trial run first game.

Last edited:
Reactions: domaug

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I saw some comments in the GDT saying Ceci was playing well. The dude was a disaster waiting to happen numerous times. Only by sheer luck did he not have an awful game. I don’t think I’ve ever watched an NHL defenseman just drift out of position so many times in a game. Like I seriously think that he can’t pay attention to the game while he’s on the ice. It was absolutely bizarre to see.

I think that's more an indictment on fans' expectations for Ceci than it is a commentary on his actual performance.

"Playing well" for him is essentially "hasn't caused numerous goals against with atrocious play".

Reactions: canadianguy77

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

giphy.gif

Me waiting to read something I didnt already know.

I know how we all like to rag on Ceci, but it is kinda nice that we have someone whos not afraid to shoot from the blueline and can hit the net. And while were on the topic of defensemen, Dumo has been utter garbage. Not sure what is wrong, but hes literally half the player he once was.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hornqvist was the easy move this summer from a shake up the room angle, but I was all aboard the Dumoulin or Rust out train.

@Scandale du Jour @ColePens put your damn poutine down and stop staring at leopard print loafers for a minute and ban this wanker already.

But yeah Dumoulin needs to get gone. And I liked what I saw out of POJ. Definitely wouldn't move him for Roslovic. I think we could get Roslovic + for Pettersson.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
When TB pointed at Kap... I was like "Oh.. we got something here." I think that could be a legit L3.

Shame (almost) that Kapanen will be on L1 soon enough then. Although anything to get Rodrigues off there.

They’ve played complete periods. I dunno. All hockey is pretty up and down right now.

You're right, I'm jumping to negative conclusions because it's very frustrating to watch right now. That said - right now, my gut instinct about the team is the worst it's been since Feb 18-19, and even with shortened pre-seasons I fail to understand how they can be just this stupid.

All the talent is there. Just got to stop searching for the dumbest possible decisions.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

He just lacks hockey sense and is always a train wreck waiting to happen at any moment.

The Pens and Sullivan are playing Russian Roulette every time he’s in the lineup.

Sully's refusal to put Kapanen on the top line and insisting on keeping Rodrigues there is seriously making it difficult to enjoy the games.

The fact they still look sloppy way too often and come out so bad most games, only to have to "dig deep" late in the game, doesn't help.

A win is a win, I suppose. But I'm not seeing any sort of improvement in the areas they've struggled with since Game 1.

I don’t see any real positives yet. Playing sloppy hockey literally every game and trying to come back from multiple goal deficits and win in OT... that’s not exactly a winning formula.

The fact they have Erod on the top line is the most disturbing. Either they don’t have the depth to sustain even a single injury in the top six or Sullivan is being a dumb ass...

Either scenario is troubling.

I hope people can now understand my outrage in 2018 when Blue was called up and Sully didn't even dress him for one f***ing game.
giphy.gif

TB always seems to get f***ed over and pigeon holed.

I’ve just become indifferent and accepted it I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: canadianguy77

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Great hands but our 4th line center for the goal. I really like what Rutherford has done with the bottom 6. They play hungry. Let's nope consistent.

Still need more from our best players though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad