OT: Cole's OT Boutique: Beep Beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think it might just be dependent on when they were released, to be honest. It seems like the ones I think are good were late 90s and early 2ks, and the ones that I view as spoiled milk were 80s and early 90s. I still like "That 70s Show", I don't watch it often but I'll put it on if it's on during the day. It may just be I just coincidentally don't like 80s sitcoms :laugh:
I honestly haven't seen much from the late 80s early 90s. But if you haven't seen Cheers, you should. It will at least give you faith that they COULD make good television in that era.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I also will confess . . . I never watched That 70's Show until I lived in Australia and saw the whole series over the course of a few months in syndication.

I actually had gone to a taping of that show, the one where Eric and Donna go to a motel, only to have the room next to Red and Kitty, and loved it, but never watched until over 10 years later.
That 70's Show was great until Eric left. Just have to pretend it ended right there. Red is a contender for best ever TV dad.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So... you're sayin' he wasn't all like "Bitches leave."

EDIT: Just because...

Seems pretty tame for 2018 but please delete if too risque.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I like how in that scene Boddicker literally snorts wine for some reason and Sal just gives zero f***s and gulps it down, anyway.

It's the little things.

"Can you fly, Bobby?"

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
confession time: I've never seen Robocop. It's on the list. I actually made a list last weekend, and its 142 movies long.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I have tended to do a pretty decent job of keeping up with movies, but I have done a pretty poor job of watching older movies. I'm sure the list of must-see's that I haven't seen is quite embarrassing.

I kid... but I'm actually much the same. Film buffs would blanche at some of the stuff I've never seen or only partially seen. Though I have the 80s action genre pretty well down, which I feel is essential. Though, honestly... Robocop really is so much more than that. Ahead of it's time... no joke.

I've never actually used the "ignore" feature on here, but strongly considering it...

:laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I kid... but I'm actually much the same. Film buffs would blanche at some of the stuff I've never seen or only partially seen. Though I have the 80s action genre pretty well down, which I feel is essential. Though, honestly... Robocop really is so much more than that. Ahead of it's time... no joke.

Honestly, until pretty recently I always just assumed it was a cheesy mindless 80's action flick. But I've heard it talked about as a more legit good movie quite a few times recently. And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a cheesy action flick. But in general, that's not my go-to. Marvel puts out movies that scratch that basic itch about 3 times a year at this point. And these have modern effects, feature characters I've loved since I was a kid, I have friends to see them with, and I'm like 20 movies deep in investment :laugh:

I watched I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore last night and really enjoyed it.

Speaking of classics I hadn't seen, I finally just watched Fargo over the weekend. Great movie. Sitting down for Inside Llewyn Davis right now.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Honestly, until pretty recently I always just assumed it was a cheesy mindless 80's action flick. But I've heard it talked about as a more legit good movie quite a few times recently. And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a cheesy action flick. But in general, that's not my go-to. Marvel puts out movies that scratch that basic itch about 3 times a year at this point. And these have modern effects, feature characters I've loved since I was a kid, I have friends to see them with, and I'm like 20 movies deep in investment :laugh:

It's a Paul Verhoeven movie, definitely one of the last directors I'd ever associate with cheese or mindlessness. Robocop holds up remarkably well as a combination of dystopian sci-fi and action. I can't think of any movie in the last 31 years that's combined those genres better than it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I obviously didn't appreciate it for all it was when I was a kid. Shit... I shouldn't have even been watching it as a kid.

But yeah... what Brandinho said... it feels more relevant now than ever. Verhoeven did Total Recall and Starship Troopers as well, of course.

And, um... Showgirls...

BUT WE WON'T TALK ABOUT THAT TOO MUCH.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Yeah, I obviously didn't appreciate it for all it was when I was a kid. ****... I shouldn't have even been watching it as a kid.

But yeah... what Brandinho said... it feels more relevant now than ever. Verhoeven did Total Recall and Starship Troopers as well, of course.

And, um... Showgirls...

I can't say that I particularly enjoyed Showgirls, but I think it's not such an embarrassment if you view it as a satire. Given that it's Verhoeven, that was probably his intent.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, pretty sure that was at least SOME of the intent, knowing a guy like that. But there was a lot that made it... rough.

Hey... dude showed up for his Razzie in person and even made a little speech. You HAVE to respect that.

Reactions: Brandinho

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Don't most games still let you make private matches with just friends? The new battle Royale trend may not, but I know things like overwatch, counterstrike, rocket league, league of legends, etc all still support small private matches. And then all the indie stuff like duck game and ultimate chicken horse which basically rely on playing with friends. Blanket hating online games seems like a great way to miss out on a lot of great games. If you have people to play them with at least.

Pay to win is a whole different thing, but those games are pretty easy to avoid. My biggest gripe with online is the franchises that shift focus too much to online and abandon the offline features. Maybe that's happened with things like Halo, I honestly haven't played one except for the

Online was fun back in the day, less mods/hacks/microtransactions. I mean "Season Pass" type of thing and "skins" were always a thing, but you'd be an idiot to fall for the skins crap, but the season pass, I mean Gears 1 was so worth it, but since then, it just never felt like any game was ever worth the extra money and the online part of the game took a bigger role, campaign was a breeze then it was straight to online and then it was so skewed with the matching system.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Yeah, I obviously didn't appreciate it for all it was when I was a kid. ****... I shouldn't have even been watching it as a kid.

And, um... Showgirls...

Robocop, Total Recall and Basic Instinct is one of the best runs you'll see from any director.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

And, um... Showgirls...

I didn't care for Starship Troopers. Total Recall is also on my list. Actually, I'm pretty sure I own it :laugh:
Online was fun back in the day, less mods/hacks/microtransactions. I mean "Season Pass" type of thing and "skins" were always a thing, but you'd be an idiot to fall for the skins crap, but the season pass, I mean Gears 1 was so worth it, but since then, it just never felt like any game was ever worth the extra money and the online part of the game took a bigger role, campaign was a breeze then it was straight to online and then it was so skewed with the matching system.
Never played any of the Gears games. The first Halo is the only time I remember ever playing any version of X-Box at all.

I don't agree at all about less hacks. On console maybe (I've played very very little online with a console), but old school PC games were f***ing riddled with hacks back in the day.

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Robocop, Total Recall and Basic Instinct is one of the best runs you'll see from any director.

He's also responsible for two of the best, and certainly most unique, WWII films ever - Soldaat van Oranje and Zwartboek. Starship Troopers holds a special place in my heart as well, partly because it's an incredibly fun movie, but moreso because he takes really poor source material (I generally enjoy Heinlein, but it's an awful novel) and turns it into a wonderfully self-aware satire.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah... I've kinda stayed out of Nintendo's realm for a while, now. Since the 64, really. I guess infinite Mario titles just doesn't much rev my engines. But it sure seems like their new batch of titles is killing it. So I might have to turn my attention that way. If for nothing else than Breath of the Wild. Which looks very much like something I'd dig.

Breath of the Wild is insanely good. I was very much a skeptic at first, but it's easily the most immersive, most successful sandbox game I've ever played. The mechanics, from combat to exploration and crafting are excellent. And, visually, it really does a great job of being both a grim, kind of adult Zelda game, and feeling like I'm playing a Miyazaki film. There's still quite a few charming classic Zelda characters, but it doesn't feel as "cutesy" or forcedly "quirky" as other games, and the nostalgic moments don't feel like fanservice, they feel, on the whole, dramatic and meaningful. The combat has real risks (I can't count the amount of times I've been wiped out by an enemy), and the deep crafting system means that, for the first time ever, collecting rupees means something.

And the world is huge! I've been playing it non-stop for two weeks and I've just barely scratched the surface. There's always something new to find or see or a quest to unlock.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad