OT: Cole's OT Boutique: Beep Beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
@ColePens do you like Shallou?

Little softer side but I am a fan. Lie is obviously a bad ass song. Who can't chill to that? Reminds me more of more electronic version of naked and famous.

But if I was sitting in a hot tub at night and it was peaceful and I wanted music to accompany me - this is the jam. Insanely relaxing. If it's summer... how can you not just dive right into this song?

edit: Similar artist - Jai Wolf. So damn good. I jam out to Indian Summer like once a day.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
After how many titles Big threw up there and none of us had a clue, it was my turn.

The point was to turn you pleebs onto something good ;)

Or I just had a Kids in the Hall sketch stuck in my head at a given time. Don't you dare act like KitH doesn't make life somewhat slightly less of a miserable slog towards death.

SoAI.gif

I want to buy Far Cry 5 but it's £42. **** that noise.

Knowing the conversion rate just confuses me more :laugh:

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just dropped $1550 on my security deposit and a prorated rent for my new apartment. Ugh, that hurt. At least I don't owe any money for this apartment for any of July or August, so that's nice. I won't have to pay anything for rent until I'm a good 2 or 3 pay checks into my job, maybe even more if I decide on starting earlier than July 2nd.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I just dropped $1550 on my security deposit and a prorated rent for my new apartment. Ugh, that hurt. At least I don't owe any money for this apartment for any of July or August, so that's nice. I won't have to pay anything for rent until I'm a good 2 or 3 pay checks into my job, maybe even more if I decide on starting earlier than July 2nd.

You got a job?

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
So party at your place?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ah I see. Well congrats on having a job!

Thanks, it's not the perfect job, but hey, it's a job. If nothing else, I'll be able to pay the bills and feed myself :laugh:

I've interned there in each of the last 2 summers, it's not bad. Most of the complaints I've heard involve limited upward mobility, but that's an issue for people who've been working there for longer. It's a good place to start your engineering career. The benefits are absolutely kick ass and the pay is actually solid for Pittsburgh. I start with 12 days of vacation (10 PTO days and 2 floating holidays) and it increases to 17 days after 2 or 3 years.

So party at your place?

Depends if you're okay with drinking cheap beer and fruity vodkas.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah I'm working with NNL at the Bettis site, I've had this job offer since August. I was just trying to find something higher paying or something more relaxed.

I contracted at the Bill Gates building at CMU in Oakland a few years back. I'm not even an engineer I just knew someone who owned the contract.

Engineering is fun as a job. Wish I could get employment doing HVAC or something. I only have a 2 year degree and 4 year military, neither of which qualify me into engineer work unfortunately.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah I'm working with NNL at the Bettis site, I've had this job offer since August. I was just trying to find something higher paying or something more relaxed.
I know quite a few people there and they all seem to like it. I'd say about 1/4 of the south park ultimate league are people who work at Bettis :laugh: I've actually been thinking of applying myself. I don't actually have an engineering degree, but I have a Physics degree and have basically been doing industrial engineering work for the last 3 years.

edit: the good thing where I'm at is that they do like to grow from within. So if we get bigger, I could move in to new positions that don't currently exist. And they don't care at all that my degree is completely unrelated to what we do :laugh:

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's some good vacation. I have 7 years industry experience and only have 10 days. I mean, every other Friday off helps though.

I also have the 9/80 schedule, it's so nice. They also made it more flexible recently, they went from having set Fridays off to being able to being able to pick which of 2 Fridays you want off in a 2 week period. You could go on an 11 day vacation from Sunday and only burn 4 vacation days.

I know quite a few people there and they all seem to like it. I'd say about 1/4 of the south park ultimate league are people who work at Bettis :laugh: I've actually been thinking of applying myself. I don't actually have an engineering degree, but I have a Physics degree and have basically been doing industrial engineering work for the last 3 years.

edit: the good thing where I'm at is that they do like to grow from within. So if we get bigger, I could move in to new positions that don't currently exist. And they don't care at all that my degree is completely unrelated to what we do :laugh:

They hire a wide variety of people, you don't need an engineering degree to get a job there. There's a big R&D division there. Bettis also has a huge ultimate frisbee league, so it doesn't surprise me that you've met people who work there. I knew a bunch of people who worked there before I applied, they have over a thousand people working on the site.

My only complaint with Bettis is that it doesn't seem like a good long term fit for me. We'll see if that changes, but I wouldn't be surprised to want to leave in 4 or 5 years.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Thanks, it's not the perfect job, but hey, it's a job. If nothing else, I'll be able to pay the bills and feed myself :laugh:

I've interned there in each of the last 2 summers, it's not bad. Most of the complaints I've heard involve limited upward mobility, but that's an issue for people who've been working there for longer. It's a good place to start your engineering career. The benefits are absolutely kick ass and the pay is actually solid for Pittsburgh. I start with 12 days of vacation (10 PTO days and 2 floating holidays) and it increases to 17 days after 2 or 3 years.

Depends if you're okay with drinking cheap beer and fruity vodkas.
Cheap anything suits me :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They hire a wide variety of people, you don't need an engineering degree to get a job there. There's a big R&D division there. Bettis also has a huge ultimate frisbee league, so it doesn't surprise me that you've met people who work there. I knew a bunch of people who worked there before I applied, they have over a thousand people working on the site.
Yeah, I'm decent friends with some of them (the bar after is a staple of casual league frisbee :laugh: and a group of them was just on my winter league team) and they all told me there's jobs I could apply for. I'm gonna start keeping an eye out for Scientist positions especially. That said, I'm not really actively trying to leave my current job. 1000+ people would be a hell of a change for me. We've got just under 30.

My only complaint with Bettis is that it doesn't seem like a good long term fit for me. We'll see if that changes, but I wouldn't be surprised to want to leave in 4 or 5 years.
I think most people end up leaving their first job. In general I think the biggest pay increases come with job changes, not promotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad