OT: Cole's OT Boutique: Beep Beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Did any of you guys play Theme Hospital?

giphy.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
10 Cloverfield Lane was by far the best performance of his career IMO.

High praise, considering some of his work.

I've never seen it but I'll absolutely have to check it out. I assume it's somehow related to the other movie? And it's sci fi. Intrigued... thank you.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
High praise, considering some of his work.

I've never seen it but I'll absolutely have to check it out. I assume it's somehow related to the other movie? And it's sci fi. Intrigued... thank you.

It's only tangentially related to the first movie. I'd describe it as a sci-fi psychological thriller, emphasis on the latter, but he totally steals the show.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's only tangentially related to the first movie. I'd describe it as a sci-fi psychological thriller, emphasis on the latter, but he totally steals the show.

He has a knack for that.

1980s and 1990s sitcoms aged like milk, they're painful to watch today.

The way you worded this made me laugh. Gonna use that one.

They are good for lols, I guess. But yeah... if you've seen one you've kinda seen them all.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
1980s and 1990s sitcoms aged like milk, they're painful to watch today.
Some of them for sure. But there are some good ones. Cheers, Seinfeld, 3rd Rock from the Sun, and Frasier are still some of the best sitcoms you can find. I still love Friends too, though I'm sure nostalgia plays a part in that one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Some of them for sure. But there are some good ones. Cheers, Seinfeld, 3rd Rock from the Sun, and Frasier are still some of the best sitcoms you can find. I still love Friends too, though I'm sure nostalgia plays a part in that one.

I feel like you're doing a disservice to shows like Seinfeld and Friends by calling them just "sitcoms", they were better than that. I'm probably not wording that right, but I think you get what I mean. I'm talking about the Horsin' Around type of sitcoms (Bojack Horseman reference), shows like Roseanne and Saved by the Bell. The painful laugh tracks when the same character said the same dumb catch phrase....ugh, it bothers me. Those kind of shows are unwatchable at this point, I don't think Seinfeld and Friends falls into that category.

I also think it might have to do with when they came out. Seinfeld and Friends lasted into the 2000s, I think they ended in like 2004 or 2005. It was the same way with "That 70s Show", which I actually still enjoy watching. I feel like the real spoiled milk ones were 80s and early 90s.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Friends and Seinfeld are legitimately funny, for sure. Especially the latter. But I'm just now getting to the point of even being able to stomach clips of them due to the burnout and overexposure. Not only did I grow up with them but they were more or less run in loop for a decade after they were off the air on like... ten different channels.

Reactions: Brandinho

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I feel like you're doing a disservice to shows like Seinfeld and Friends by calling them just "sitcoms", they were better than that. I'm probably not wording that right, but I think you get what I mean. I'm talking about the Horsin' Around type of sitcoms (Bojack Horseman reference), shows like Roseanne and Saved by the Bell. The painful laugh tracks when the same character said the same dumb catch phrase....ugh, it bothers me. Those kind of shows are unwatchable at this point, I don't think Seinfeld and Friends falls into that category.
Honestly, I don't see how they are different aside from simply being better. I mean yeah, saved by the bell is different. That was like a weekday morning kids show wasn't it? It's more in line with the Disney and Nickelodeon shows these days.

And Roseanne was legit good imo. Haven't seen it in a decade though.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Cheers was as good as it got in its heyday.

Among my two favorites . . .

1. The Frasier-Lilith TV debate episode

2. The Gary's Old Town Tavern episode where Sam cons the gang into fleeing town (honestly, all of the Gary's Old Town Tavern episodes killed it, but that one was my fave).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Cheers was as good as it got in its heyday.

Among my two favorites . . .

1. The Frasier-Lilith TV debate episode

2. The Gary's Old Town Tavern episode where Sam cons the gang into fleeing town (honestly, all of the Gary's Old Town Tavern episodes killed it, but that one was my fave).
I've seen quite a bit of Cheers, but not in a long time, and nowhere near all of it. It's on my list of shows to watch through. Harry the Hat was my favorite.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly, I don't see how they are different aside from simply being better. I mean yeah, saved by the bell is different. That was like a weekday morning kids show wasn't it? It's more in line with the Disney and Nickelodeon shows these days.

And Roseanne was legit good imo. Haven't seen it in a decade though.

I think it might just be dependent on when they were released, to be honest. It seems like the ones I think are good were late 90s and early 2ks, and the ones that I view as spoiled milk were 80s and early 90s. I still like "That 70s Show", I don't watch it often but I'll put it on if it's on during the day. It may just be I just coincidentally don't like 80s sitcoms :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've seen quite a bit of Cheers, but not in a long time, and nowhere near all of it. It's on my list of shows to watch through. Harry the Hat was my favorite.

I also will confess . . . I never watched That 70's Show until I lived in Australia and saw the whole series over the course of a few months in syndication.

I actually had gone to a taping of that show, the one where Eric and Donna go to a motel, only to have the room next to Red and Kitty, and loved it, but never watched until over 10 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad