OT: Cole's OT Block Party: Coldplay, Chainsmokers, Mandalorian, Lost in Space, RoS all rock! Let's go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just think the lack of creativity in hollywood kind of sucks ass right now. It's just a bunch of blokes remaking old stuff and not really doing anything compelling with it. I mean the Little Women movie gripes just really pisses me off. It's been done very well, several times, several times isn't even doing it justice for how many times it's been adapted from tv show to movie, etc. But to cry about not being nominated for literally making another adaptation of that just really irks me.

Meanwhile there are loads of novels out there with original ideas and what does Hollywood want to do? Make them as close as possible to something that is already out there which compromises the original idea and concept of that novel. Sci-fi? Is it horror? Lets make it like Aliens! Is it comedy? Let's make it like Spaceballs/Guardians!

It's why I say Uncut Gems is about 100x the movie Marriage Story is, for Netflix made movies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll add them to the list.

edit: oh ****, Danny Devito. Nice.
He directs and acts in it, fantastic movie. Takes the topic of divorce and has fun with it, a little more comedy than the book, don't read the book lol. Just watch the movie, it's hilarious and just great.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just think the lack of creativity in hollywood kind of sucks ass right now. It's just a bunch of blokes remaking old stuff and not really doing anything compelling with it. I mean the Little Women movie gripes just really pisses me off. It's been done very well, several times, several times isn't even doing it justice for how many times it's been adapted from tv show to movie, etc. But to cry about not being nominated for literally making another adaptation of that just really irks me.

Meanwhile there are loads of novels out there with original ideas and what does Hollywood want to do? Make them as close as possible to something that is already out there which compromises the original idea and concept of that novel. Sci-fi? Is it horror? Lets make it like Aliens! Is it comedy? Let's make it like Spaceballs/Guardians!

It's why I say Uncut Gems is about 100x the movie Marriage Story is, for Netflix made movies.
I think there are still tons of great original movies and TV shows and whatnot being made. There are just also a bunch of reboots and whatnot.

And I really don't think the idea of parents getting divorced is some novel idea that using that as a basis counts as a rehash.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think there are still tons of great original movies and TV shows and whatnot being made. There are just also a bunch of reboots and whatnot.

And I really don't think the idea of parents getting divorced is some novel idea that using that as a basis counts as a rehash.
The thing is, Marriage Story uses a specific dynamic and plot that is very similar to Kramer vs Kramer that it's literally what people pointed out immediately and compare it to for good reason, it's basically a rip off of it. There are countless movies and tv shows surrounding the topic that also borrow from KvK but do it in a different way. Marriage Story, does a lot of the same, with a few changes.

The biggest being for me, the Dad in both stories. In Kramer vs Kramer, he grows into being a better Dad and earns that dynamic, in Marriage Story, he's already that from the get go.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I do plan to see Uncut Gems. That said, they seem like really different movies that are tough to compare. Sometimes I want a hard drama with gambling debt and shit, but sometimes I want a smaller/quieter type movie. It's just super hard to compare different genres of movies imo. Like how can you try to compare something like Goodfellas vs Shawshank Redemption vs Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I do plan to see Uncut Gems. That said, they seem like really different movies that are tough to compare. Sometimes I want a hard drama with gambling debt and ****, but sometimes I want a smaller/quieter type movie. It's just super hard to compare different genres of movies imo. Like how can you try to compare something like Goodfellas vs Shawshank Redemption vs Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
I get ya, in this case it was more of "Which is the better Netflix movie" and for me "Which is the better version of the Kramer vs Kramer story, the OG or the rip off."

Comparing other stuff is different and I agree, you can't compare them (the movies you listed).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The thing is, Marriage Story uses a specific dynamic and plot that is very similar to Kramer vs Kramer that it's literally what people pointed out immediately and compare it to for good reason, it's basically a rip off of it. There are countless movies and tv shows surrounding the topic that also borrow from KvK but do it in a different way. Marriage Story, does a lot of the same, with a few changes.

It looks like the whole basic setup is way different. She leaves him with the kid vs taking the kid. KvsK has some dynamic with a different single parent neighbor? She's trying to take full custody in KvsK vs her trying to work it out so they can share custody in MS. I mean yeah, a part of it is about them having to attack eachother in court and whatnot, but that's just what divorce is. I dunno, I just don't see it beyond the very surface features.

The biggest being for me, the Dad in both stories. In Kramer vs Kramer, he grows into being a better Dad and earns that dynamic, in Marriage Story, he's already that from the get go.
That's because Marriage Story isn't about being a better dad, it's about both parents being better people in general. Both are already good parents, but flawed people.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It looks like the whole basic setup is way different. She leaves him with the kid vs taking the kid. KvsK has some dynamic with a different single parent neighbor? She's trying to take full custody in KvsK vs her trying to work it out so they can share custody in MS. I mean yeah, a part of it is about them having to attack eachother in court and whatnot, but that's just what divorce is. I dunno, I just don't see it beyond the very surface features.

That's because Marriage Story isn't about being a better dad, it's about both parents being better people in general. Both are already good parents.
Marriage Story is more about their relationship and not about the Kid, per se, Kramer vs Kramer is very much about a mother wanting to come back and act like she deserves custody while she kicked it and left him with a situation he had to adapt to and found a balance that she's trying to ruin out of wanting a piece of that life that she hasn't earned.

That is the obvious big difference.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Marriage Story is more about their relationship and not about the Kid, per se, Kramer vs Kramer is very much about a mother wanting to come back and act like she deserves custody while she kicked it and left him with a situation he had to adapt to and found a balance that she's trying to ruin out of wanting a piece of that life that she hasn't earned.

That is the obvious big difference.
that's a huge difference :laugh: It's a similar setup, but a completely different primary conflict.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
On a completely different topic, does anybody listen to The Adventure Zone podcast? It's fantastic. I started listening to it after a group of friends decided to play DND and now I'm hooked.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
On a completely different topic, does anybody listen to The Adventure Zone podcast? It's fantastic. I started listening to it after a group of friends decided to play DND and now I'm hooked.

Im only listening to the Triple J Hottest 100 2020 playlists right now.

Used to be played every Australia Day (January 26th) but they changed it to maybe the Saturday before because there are protests every year now to change the Australia Day date so they don’t want to be associated with it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

That's the one with the McElroy brothers, right? I've heard it's pretty good, but haven't given it a spin yet.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I'm looking for some ideas for our honeymoon. Our wedding is late May. We're limited travelers, but our experience in Jamaica has turned us off to going to a foreign country in the near future. We were in the Customs Que at the airport standing in line for 3 hours waiting to be processed which was annoying. We left the resort to explore (because that's me) and we just didn't feel safe wandering outside the resort...everything just felt so sketchy. The resort itself was fine and that is where I proposed to her.

Anyway we both absolutely LOVED Miami. We felt like we were in a different country because of the different foods and people that were around and that was enjoyable for us. We were able to explore without worrying about our safety.

We have never been to the Virgin Islands and that is where I'm leaning towards (again no customs processing), but am open to other possibilities in the US or territories.

How to Tell Which Virgin Island is Right for You – BootsnAll Travel Articles

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm looking for some ideas for our honeymoon. Our wedding is late May. We're limited travelers, but our experience in Jamaica has turned us off to going to a foreign country in the near future. We were in the Customs Que at the airport standing in line for 3 hours waiting to be processed which was annoying. We left the resort to explore (because that's me) and we just didn't feel safe wandering outside the resort...everything just felt so sketchy. The resort itself was fine and that is where I proposed to her.

Anyway we both absolutely LOVED Miami. We felt like we were in a different country because of the different foods and people that were around and that was enjoyable for us. We were able to explore without worrying about our safety.

We have never been to the Virgin Islands and that is where I'm leaning towards (again no customs processing), but am open to other possibilities in the US or territories.

FWIW my s/o and her parents are in love with St. John and the Virign Islands in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Where are you flying from? Greece is always a good time. Stay off the party islands cause they are expensive. Every where on the mainland is great and there is lots to see. Plus everyone speaks English and they love tourists.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Where are you flying from? Greece is always a good time. Stay off the party islands cause they are expensive. Every where on the mainland is great and there is lots to see. Plus everyone speaks English and they love tourists.

Flying from Southern Michigan. While Greece is on my bucket list, we're not in the mood for international travel at the moment.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jesus Christ, this is the goalie from Mighty Ducks?

This bloke was just arrested for trying to steal from a house while high on meth.

Oddly enough, just recently, Emilio Estevez signed on for a Mighty Ducks reboot tv show on Disney+

@Tom Hanks @Honour Over Glory

What should I do in Vancouver mid-May? And what should I avoid? Besides yinz, that is.
East Hastings, make sure you flash a lot of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad