Cole's OT BBQ! Burgers and house music coming up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol holy shit I forgot they tried to reboot that shit lol

f*** off Hollywood
Mate, remember when they made 2 Hercules movies? One with that wanker from the Twilight crap and the other with Dwayne Johnson? The latter being the better one of the two, but that isn’t saying much either.

The Conan movie was riding off the hype of Khal Drogo and oh boy did it fail. I couldn’t get through 20mins of that reboot.

Reactions: EightyOne

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I feel attacked. I only cared about the cartoon parts.
I remember watching Beavis and Butthead Do America in theatres back in the day. I was upset my siblings chose that movie because my stupid 10 year old self wanted to watch Mars Attacks. I'll never understand how they got Jack Nicholson to do that movie.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Mars Attacks! is a masterpiece

Just perfect

The desert scene in BeavButtDoAmerica is f***ing amazing animation and funny

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Anyone watching the meteorite showers at night??

Watched last evening for 30 minutes and saw about 4 or 5 .... so cool

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
cfd22575-d46a-4d7d-8298-6c197f167ad3.gif

I will hear no ill-spoken words about Beavis and Butt-Head Do America, one of 1996's finest films.

12pr6.gif

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Walmart has, both for the Switch, the Bioshock and Borderlands trilogies for $35 each. I'll probably only get one, but which trilogy?
Bioshock are the better single player games imo. Borderlands 1 in particular gets pretty stale solo. 2 is great even single player, but not as good as Bioshock 1 or probably infinite. The good stuff is just as good I think, but it has a lot of padding.

I haven't played BL 3. It sounds sort of like Bioshock 2 from what I hear; a step down in the story but great action/gameplay.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Walmart has, both for the Switch, the Bioshock and Borderlands trilogies for $35 each. I'll probably only get one, but which trilogy?

The worst moment in Bioshock is better than the best moment in any loot-based shooter.

I may not be unbiased on this one, the Borderlands games don't even attempt to appeal to me while the Bioshock games are seemingly made for me...so...yeah. Bioshock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The worst moment in Bioshock is better than the best moment in any loot-based shooter.

I may not be unbiased on this one, but the Bioshock games are all must-plays in my book.
Ill disagree a bit. Borderlands 2 has some great bits, and handsome jack is as good a character as anyone in Bioshock imo. It's just all much more loosely tied together. But despite being a loot based shooter, I think the characters in Borderlands 2 are good enough to drive it even if you don't care about loot.

We have the same basic conclusion, but I think borderlands (at least 2) have a lot more going for them than you're giving them credit for. Borderlands are perfect games for when you come home from work and just want to go shoot some things for a bit. Good action, good characters, and a fun world.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Ill disagree a bit. Borderlands 2 has some great bits, and handsome jack is as good a character as anyone in Bioshock imo. It's just all much more loosely tied together. But despite being a loot based shooter, I think the characters in Borderlands 2 are good enough to drive it even if you don't care about loot.

We have the same basic conclusion, but I think borderlands (at least 2) have a lot more going for them than you're giving them credit for. Borderlands are perfect games for when you come home from work and just want to go shoot some things for a bit. Good action, good characters, and a fun world.

Borderlands 2 was my entry point and I couldn't stand it for more than an hour. That whole series gives off a vibe you either get or you don't. I kinda just wanted to shove every character I met into a garbage disposal. Oddly enough the most cartoonishly obnoxious character in that entire universe is the one I find that goes far enough to become charming in a weird sense (Tiny Tina).

I'll give Borderlands credit for at least trying to create an interesting setting. They took chances that will result in people being turned off and I respect them for taking those kinds of chances. I don't have fun with those games at all, but I can at least appreciate them from a distance. Destiny, on the other hand, can just f*** right off. It's a Skinner box genre, without that dopamine hit of unlocking something new it's just a slog. Borderlands has actual stories and has characters with actual character, so even with everything I dislike about it, I respect its place in the medium. I generally view loot-based shooters the way I view MOBAs, a genre adjacent to games I love that strips away what I like about those games and beefs up the stuff I actively dislike.

My gripe with Borderlands is just that it's not the kind of game I enjoy, while Bioshock is the closest a game/series will ever come to being made for me. That's all. My original post was more about how I despise the sub-genre more than anything against Borderlands itself. I just wish Infinite hadn't been so royally f***ed by 2K mandating it appeal to the casual shooter fan. The gunplay was never the fun part of those games and there's too much of it in Infinite...I still adore that game, flaws and all.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Borderlands 2 was my entry point and I couldn't stand it for more than an hour. That whole series gives off a vibe you either get or you don't. I kinda just wanted to shove every character I met into a garbage disposal. Oddly enough the most cartoonishly obnoxious character in that entire universe is the one I find that goes far enough to become charming in a weird sense (Tiny Tina).

I'll give Borderlands credit for at least trying to create an interesting setting. They took chances that will result in people being turned off and I respect them for taking those kinds of chances. I don't have fun with those games at all, but I can at least appreciate them from a distance. Destiny, on the other hand, can just f*** right off. It's a Skinner box genre, without that dopamine hit of unlocking something new it's just a slog. Borderlands has actual stories and has characters with actual character, so even with everything I dislike about it, I respect its place in the medium. I generally view loot-based shooters the way I view MOBAs, a genre adjacent to games I love that strips away what I like about those games and beefs up the stuff I actively dislike.

My gripe with Borderlands is just that it's not the kind of game I enjoy, while Bioshock is the closest a game/series will ever come to being made for me. That's all. My original post was more about how I despise the sub-genre more than anything against Borderlands itself. I just wish Infinite hadn't been so royally f***ed by 2K mandating it appeal to the casual shooter fan. The gunplay was never the fun part of those games and there's too much of it in Infinite...I still adore that game, flaws and all.
I think I just view loot-based shooters (and loot based games like Diablo) differently. Well mostly it's that I don't actually care about loot that much, but still like the games. I just really value a game that I can play for 20 minutes to an hour, ignore it for a day or a week or 6 months, and then come back and do it again. That's why I play so many competitive multiplayer games. Borderlands 2 is probably my favorite game to play like that solo since Diablo 2. Though I certainly get how it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Bioshock is the kind of game I want to sit down and play the hell out of until I am done with it. It's a narrative experience that happens to include gameplay. Overall, these are the kinds of games I tend to put in my favorite games lists, but I just can't commit the time to them as much as the former type of game. Though Switch being easy to travel with makes it easier since I can take it with me when I travel for work.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well, bringing Diablo up works here because those games bore the shit out of me :laugh:

When I play games they either get every bit of my attention for 3-5 hours or are played on the Switch while watching something (grinding in JRPGs is my mindless release valve...but I need those story beats to keep me interested). Dungeon crawlers can't keep my attention on mechanics alone.

At least part of this is just due to the fact I didn't have a computer capable of running anything more complicated than RollerCoaster Tycoon until I was almost out of high school, so basically any genre with its roots in computer gaming baffles me. Every time I bring up how much I adore RPGs and someone brings up a CRPG my face just goes pale. Oh, right, those are RPGs too. It's weird to think about how separate computer and console gaming used to be. Borderlands feels like a series made by people who grew up obsessed with computer games that also happens to be on consoles, while Bioshock is very much a console series that eventually also got PC ports (I think where Infinite went wrong was in trying to split the difference and it kinda wound up being a bit too heavy on shooting for existing fans of the series from the 360/PS3, where you didn't even have to shoot a gun in the first 2 games if you didn't want to, but still not having the complexity that PC shooting games fan were accustom to).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, bringing Diablo up works here because those games bore the shit out of me :laugh:

When I play games they either get every bit of my attention for 3-5 hours or are played on the Switch while watching something (grinding in JRPGs is my mindless release valve...but I need those story beats to keep me interested). Dungeon crawlers can't keep my attention on mechanics alone.

At least part of this is just due to the fact I didn't have a computer capable of running anything more complicated than RollerCoaster Tycoon until I was almost out of high school, so basically any genre with its roots in computer gaming baffles me. Every time I bring up how much I adore RPGs and someone brings up a CRPG my face just goes pale. Oh, right, those are RPGs too. It's weird to think about how separate computer and console gaming used to be.
luckily Rollercoater Tycoon is one of the best games ever made, so you were good to go for a while :nod:

I definitely get not liking both CRPGs and JRPGs. CRPGs like Baldur's Gate really couldn't be much more different than JRPGs like Final Fantasy. The gameplay, the story structure, the types of characters; really everything is entirely different. "RPG" is just a strange genre heading because it really doesn't indicate anything about the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big McLargehuge

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Minimalist carbon fiber wallet: yay or nay, also waht you got? Tired of this big leather wad I carry around....but I also need the space of 10-15 cards

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So my relative in Slovakia sent me my great grandparents, whom I've never met, birth certificates (written in hungarian) and their Ellis Island arrival dates, ship names, departure port, last known city of residence... etc etc...

Pretty wild stuff.... My 19 yo unknown cousin and 21 year old piss poor future mother of my mothers mother had lots of balls to come over 3,000 miles by ship with no money....

1904 My mothers side arrives in NYC from Hungary / Slovakia.

Craaaaaazy.

Reactions: kudla and Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad