OT: Cole's OT Bar: -18 and snow to 60 and run to 30 and rain all in one week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hmmmm, there's this townhouse in East Liberty that I like, but the whole gentrification thing is making me hesitant.

I'm just curious, is it the one on Rippey Street? If so, that place looks really nice.

There's this really nice condo on Mellon Street in Highland Park, I'm not buying a condo/townhouse anytime soon, but that one in Highland Park is pretty damn nice.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Isnt that a reason to move somewhere?:laugh:

Depends how you feel about gentrification.

I'm just curious, is it the one on Rippey Street? If so, that place looks really nice.

There's this really nice condo on Mellon Street in Highland Park, I'm not buying a condo/townhouse anytime soon, but that one in Highland Park is pretty damn nice.

I know the Rippey one you speak of, but no, not that.

I also know of the Highland Park one and actually went to look at it. It needs a bunch of concrete work and their only bathroom just isn't for me. I'd have to re-do some stuff. The garage they mention needs to be torn down and I have concerns about the basement. The front porch is a mess too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just looked at the forecast for next weekend, yikes. Pittsburgh is supposed to get between a foot and a foot and a half in snow on Saturday and Sunday, with 3"-5" on Saturday, 5"-8" on Saturday night and 3"-5" on Sunday. That's just a yikes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Vancouver has rain every 2nd day on average. Over 57 inches for the year.

But the last 3 days has been sunshine, hell the last 4-5 days it's been warm for "winter" even by the standards of this god forsaken city of idiotic drivers.

Today, I walked around my block in my shorts and sandals and didn't feel cold at all. What is this crap?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
But the last 3 days has been sunshine, hell the last 4-5 days it's been warm for "winter" even by the standards of this god forsaken city of idiotic drivers.

Today, I walked around my block in my shorts and sandals and didn't feel cold at all. What is this crap?

I had shorts on too. The last 2 January’s had snow. My Mum sent me a weather forecast of Melbourne. It’s around 40c (104f) with lows around 20c (68f).

Last year at the Australian open the court temperature hit 69c (156f). Sometimes they fry an egg :laugh:

article-2258865-16CF6453000005DC-383_306x423.jpg

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I had shorts on too. The last 2 January’s had snow. My Mum sent me a weather forecast of Melbourne. It’s around 40c (104f) with lows around 20c (68f).

Last year at the Australian open the court temperature hit 69c (156f). Sometimes they fry an egg :laugh:

article-2258865-16CF6453000005DC-383_306x423.jpg
That's some disgusting heat man.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyone got any non-touristy recommendations for NOLA? I've got 5 days there for a conference, and I'm giving my paper the first day, so I'll have a lot of time to get day drunk on Sazeracs.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not short of festivals

New Orleans Festivals 2018

Oops, they not updated their list yet for 2019 :laugh:

I'm kinda allergic to festivals, but I've got some bars/venues I need to check out. I'm definitely going to go pay my respects to Coco Robicheaux at the Apple Barrel, I want to try to catch Kermit Ruffins or Trombone Shawty, and I definitely want to see if I can second line. :laugh:

But all I really know about Nawlins is what I've read, seen on TV, and what my parents have told me (they love the place, but haven't been since Katrina).

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm kinda allergic to festivals, but I've got some bars/venues I need to check out. I'm definitely going to go pay my respects to Coco Robicheaux at the Apple Barrel, I want to try to catch Kermit Ruffins or Trombone Shawty, and I definitely want to see if I can second line. :laugh:

But all I really know about Nawlins is what I've read, seen on TV, and what my parents have told me (they love the place, but haven't been since Katrina).

I liked the museums that are next to the cathedral. One is about New Orleans history and the other is specifically about hurricanes. At least they were when I went. I think there's a third dedicated to World War 2, but I didn't make it to that one.

I just looked at the forecast for next weekend, yikes. Pittsburgh is supposed to get between a foot and a foot and a half in snow on Saturday and Sunday, with 3"-5" on Saturday, 5"-8" on Saturday night and 3"-5" on Sunday. That's just a yikes.

I did not know this, thanks!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm looking at two houses tomorrow. Neither are the place in East Liberty I really like. That already has an offer...

@Beauner @Empoleon8771

From looking quickly, there doesn't seem to be much available right now that I like and is in my price range. Good thing I'm not buying a house anytime soon :laugh:

I do like this house though, and it has the added benefit of being really close to where I lived for 2 years (so I know I'd like the area). That seems to be one of a few that actually caught my eye though, a lot of them look run down and old. I've been searching for something in the $200k-$300k range that was built after 1965, I have like 5 results shown. This one is another really nice one if I bump my number up to $325k.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
From looking quickly, there doesn't seem to be much available right now that I like and is in my price range. Good thing I'm not buying a house anytime soon :laugh:

I do like this house though, and it has the added benefit of being really close to where I lived for 2 years (so I know I'd like the area). That seems to be one of a few that actually caught my eye though, a lot of them look run down and old. I've been searching for something in the $200k-$300k range that was built after 1965, I have like 5 results shown.

Ah, that style isn't for me. I like the older buildings that are around 100 years old. Even though this place (What do you think of this 2 bds • 2 ba • 1,560 sqft home I found on Zillow? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1741-Duffield-St-Pittsburgh-PA-15206/11277915_zpid/) is "newer", it was basically perfect for me. Too bad my offer wasn't accepted.

That Hemingway location is much better than Morningside though.

Pro tip: closing costs are around 4.5% of the sale price if you're buying in the city of Pittsburgh. I thought I could've afforded higher prices, but those closing costs really screw with what you can put down. And I'm only comfortable going up so much on my monthly payment.

Edit: I like that Penn Ave place but don't want a condo.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ah, that style isn't for me. I like the older buildings that are around 100 years old. Even though this place (What do you think of this 2 bds • 2 ba • 1,560 sqft home I found on Zillow? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1741-Duffield-St-Pittsburgh-PA-15206/11277915_zpid/) is "newer", it was basically perfect for me. Too bad my offer wasn't accepted.

That Hemingway location is much better than Morningside though.

Pro tip: closing costs are around 4.5% of the sale price if you're buying in the city of Pittsburgh. I thought I could've afforded higher prices, but those closing costs really screw with what you can put down. And I'm only comfortable going up so much on my monthly payment.

That house you posted on Zillow is really nice, that sucks that you didn't get it. The concern I have with really old houses is the heating and insulation bills that come with them. I've lived in old apartments for each of the last 4 years, and I don't even want to think about what it would cost to maintain that old of a house. I definitely like the modern style the most (I love the style of the modern luxury apartment), but that's not really the thing pushing me. I wasn't crazy about the style of that Hemmingway one (although I didn't dislike it), but the biggest things for me with that was it being built in 1997 and it being in a good location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad