Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
By current agreements between leagues junior eligible players must return to their junior teams if not on a NHL roster. There is a temporary variance because the junior leagues haven’t started up yet.

I'm beginning to think that they won't start up. Savoie of the ice just joined a USHL team and Ontario is on full lock down.

My guess is Perfetti stays with the Moose all year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think Perfetti would benefit much from dominating junior players, and I don't think he needs "seasoning" to figure out how to play with and against good NHLers. His hockey sense, skills and vision are all at a level that should allow him to adapt quickly to NHL pace and style. What he needs is more quickness / speed, and perhaps strength. I think a few months of stringent work on skating, fitness and strength is what he needs most. If he can get that in Winnipeg in whatever role, that should be fine. It would also be good for him to study the role of the C in the Jets' system, and get plenty of reps in that role, if that's where the Jets see him in the future.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think Perfetti would benefit much from dominating junior players, and I don't think he needs "seasoning" to figure out how to play with and against good NHLers. His hockey sense, skills and vision are all at a level that should allow him to adapt quickly to NHL pace and style. What he needs is more quickness / speed, and perhaps strength. I think a few months of stringent work on skating, fitness and strength is what he needs most. If he can get that in Winnipeg in whatever role, that should be fine. It would also be good for him to study the role of the C in the Jets' system, and get plenty of reps in that role, if that's where the Jets see him in the future.

I agree, it sounds like AHL games are to be spread out at least for the first few months which should allow him plenty of time to work on his speed and strength with our development staff. I think getting him immersed in our systems at center will also be a big positive.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Agree with you all about him playing C for the Moose.

It'll be a shame next season when he has to go back to Saginaw. I love the CHL as a development league but guys with pro experience just don't belong there.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
At the end of the day this is how it could play out. Lundell looked really good playing his role as Captain of Finland. He was kind of a man child against boys.

He looked allot better and more NHL ready than Byfield too, Same as Quinn and Rossi. He looked every bit as good if not better than as Holtz and Raymond and they are only wingers and as we are painfully finding out they don’t carry the same value as centres.

Lundell is further along than all the forwards drafted ahead of him except for Laf and Stutzle IMO.

The thing is though we are drafting Perfetti for where he will be in 2- 3 seasons from now and I am still really happy with the pick.

Lundell looks great but it’s still way too early to make any proclamations.
I have never been impressed with Byfield. I think he's going to end up like a Lowry type player, which is obviously not bad, but definitely not worth where he was taken in the draft.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I realize the WJC was a bucket of cold water thrown on the Perfetti bandwagon which is great. I don’t really like crowds and nothing has changed for me. The cold water missed me.

I thought I would go back to study Nick Suzuki and review some the scouting reports on him going into his draft.

Almost all the reports recognized that he had IQ and skill but he was really inconsistent and didn’t show up some nights. Pretty much every scout felt the 5’11” prospect would need to play wing in the NHL due to his limitations.

Seems like the Scouts didn’t anticipate Suzuki would fill out, grow his game, and progress to the point he is a really solid top 6 centre.

That’s the thing about prospects. If they work at it they do grow, progress, and things change.

When I watched Perfetti in the WJC I saw pretty clearly what he needs to add. However, I also saw a player when given the opportunity that was one of the forwards that could enter and exit zones well. He was also positionally responsible and was good at his defensive assignments and reads. I liked that as a scorer he was engaged in all 200 feet of the ice and was looking for ways to create turn overs.

Yes Cole needs to continue to develop some physical attributes just like he needed to do on draft day. For better (Heinola) or for worse (most of the 2020 drafted Canadians) the WJC is always way over emphasized.

Feels like the Scheiele days all over again and I am use to it although I miss my sidekick GIN
This is a sizzling hot take, but I think Perfetti ends up being a better player than Byfield.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is a sizzling hot take, but I think Perfetti ends up being a better player than Byfield.

I do as well. There is no substitute for smarts and he has it in spades, he just needs to fill out and keep working on getting quicker.

Reactions: Jet

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Suzuki is actually a wonderful comp for Perfetti. Same assets and deficiencies.

It's fine to compare Perfetti and Byfield but there's not a lot of value in doing it. Byfield wasn't an option on draft day. Lundell and Lapierre were options and will stick with me as the guys we could have had. I hope that this pick turns out to be further evidence that the scouts know better than I do.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Anyone know if the OHL is leaning towards a season? Even if its forthcoming, I believe I heard somewhere he can play with the Moose until the OHL re-opens. So even they make an announcement today of restarting in late Feb, Perfetti can still be with the Moose until then right?

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Anyone know if the OHL is leaning towards a season? Even if its forthcoming, I believe I heard somewhere he can play with the Moose until the OHL re-opens. So even they make an announcement today of restarting in late Feb, Perfetti can still be with the Moose until then right?

I believe so. I haven't heard a peep out of the OHL or WHL lately in terms of a season. At this point my gut says they don't go.

Reactions: Jetsfan79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad