Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Yea back at you with Rossi. When they were both surprisingly available at #9 it felt like Deja vu. In 2014 I was a big fan of Ehlers and Nylander and couldn't believe when they both fell to #8 and I knew we would get one of them. Same thing happened in 2015, I was a really big fan of Barzal and Connor and I knew we would get a crack at one of them when they both fell to #16 and we picked at #17 (thank you Boston). This year watching both Rossi and Perfetti to #9 when we picked at #10 thrilled me. Also props to Chevy and company for talking the asset that was left to us.

What is the status or Rossi.....sorry to ask but I haven't been following anything outside our division yet.
You know as much as we do. It’s trending towards him not playing this year; he’s got a health issue that’s undisclosed. He had a bad case of COVID that was nagging him for a while and speculation has been that he’s developed a side effect from that, with rumblings that he has myocartidis being out there. Should be fine in the long run, but no doubt a blow for the kid, his family and the fan base.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
With our current roster, I wouldn't be looking to have him with the Jets at all. Nothing wrong with getting in a bunch of games in the AHL (especially since in other years he wouldn't have been able to at this point).
Agreed - I'd really just do it as a novelty... a handful of 6 min games to get him a taste of the speed of the NHL then develop in the AHL this year and most of next

Once PLD is here - our 4th line will barely see the ice

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With our current roster, I wouldn't be looking to have him with the Jets at all. Nothing wrong with getting in a bunch of games in the AHL (especially since in other years he wouldn't have been able to at this point).

He won't be getting in a game this year barring a significant run of injuries or the team has locked in a playoff spot and are looking to rest players the last game or two of the year.

Reactions: Huffer and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd much, much, much rather have him spend time in the NHL in the top six as a winger than languishing as centre on the fourth line because Schiefele, Dubois and Lowry are ahead of him. We drafted him as a top six player, specifically as our number two centre. If Dubois takes that spot from him, then he needs to move to the wing. He proved at the world juniors that he can play either position.

You misinterpreted what I was getting at. I think he should be developed in the AHL at the center position until he's NHL ready. At which point we either run three scoring lines with him as a center or he converts to winger for the top 6.

I just want him to have the foundation built in for him to be able to play center if he needs to at the NHL level. Injuries happen and lineups can change.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Yea back at you with Rossi. When they were both surprisingly available at #9 it felt like Deja vu. In 2014 I was a big fan of Ehlers and Nylander and couldn't believe when they both fell to #8 and I knew we would get one of them. Same thing happened in 2015, I was a really big fan of Barzal and Connor and I knew we would get a crack at one of them when they both fell to #16 and we picked at #17 (thank you Boston). This year watching both Rossi and Perfetti to #9 when we picked at #10 thrilled me. Also props to Chevy and company for talking the asset that was left to us.

What is the status or Rossi.....sorry to ask but I haven't been following anything outside our division yet.
You know PS, I had the same experience. Happy Ehlers was there at #9, Connor at #17 and Cole at #10. Each time I was thinking how did that player slip to us, with a small uneasy feeling each time of... Do the Jets like that player too or am I out to lunch?

Well history showed that we were pretty accurate in picking the best available.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Based off of Coach’s comments today, this was just to give him a taste. He’ll probably practice with the club again tomorrow and get reassigned Friday afternoon/Saturday morning.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You know as much as we do. It’s trending towards him not playing this year; he’s got a health issue that’s undisclosed. He had a bad case of COVID that was nagging him for a while and speculation has been that he’s developed a side effect from that, with rumblings that he has myocartidis being out there. Should be fine in the long run, but no doubt a blow for the kid, his family and the fan base.

That’s tough I have been out of the loop on his condition. Top notch prospect who will have a huge role for your team in the future I’m sure.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yeesh. I hadn't heard anything about that. Hopefully he recovers quickly and completely!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I like his interview on TSN today, humble and respectful. I like PMO comments about his skill, IQ and comment about being a salt of the earth young man with a good upbringing

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I like his interview on TSN today, humble and respectful. I like PMO comments about his skill, IQ and comment about being a salt of the earth young man with a good upbringing

I agree - and I like the fact that he's very ambitious.
He knows what he as to do and is very much aware of the fact that he's going to have to work very hard for the opportunities.
They don't all look at it this way - sometimes there's a bit of entitlement involved but I didn't pick up on any of that in his interview / comments

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree - and I like the fact that he's very ambitious.
He knows what he as to do and is very much aware of the fact that he's going to have to work very hard for the opportunities.
They don't all look at it this way - sometimes there's a bit of entitlement involved but I didn't pick up on any of that in his interview / comments

Its one thing to be bright. For his profession It’s a far great asset to have high hockey IQ

The thing I am starting to like even more is his self awareness. That’s a super power very few people have. I work on it every day and still suck at it.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
You misinterpreted what I was getting at. I think he should be developed in the AHL at the center position until he's NHL ready. At which point we either run three scoring lines with him as a center or he converts to winger for the top 6.

I just want him to have the foundation built in for him to be able to play center if he needs to at the NHL level. Injuries happen and lineups can change.
Fair enough. I just think that our top two centres are likely set for the next three years at least. I don't want Perfetti to flounder in non-scoring lines just to wait his turn. I'm not saying he'll be another Nick Petan, but the guy was projected as high as fourth or fifth overall in a very deep draft. If he doesn't end up in the top two lines, I would be disappointed.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
He proved at the world juniors , that yes he can play at all positions . However upon observation it also proved he's not ready for prime time just yet. If he can't keep up with his peers , how can he keep up with men.
I'm not saying he's ready for the NHL just yet either. I'd rather have him playing big minutes with the Moose than getting six minutes with two journeymen on the fourth line. Just a little nervous about how they handle him now that we are so rich at centre.

Reactions: Klondiker98

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not saying he's ready for the NHL just yet either. I'd rather have him playing big minutes with the Moose than getting six minutes with two journeymen on the fourth line. Just a little nervous about how they handle him now that we are so rich at centre.

With PLD in the mix all the pressure is off and Cole can just develop at his own pace. I would like to see him developed at centre. Once he is fully NHL ready it will work itself out. He may need to start on the wing but hopefully he is a Center long term.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
With PLD in the mix all the pressure is off and Cole can just develop at his own pace. I would like to see him developed at centre. Once he is fully NHL ready it will work itself out. He may need to start on the wing but hopefully he is a Center long term.
I'd be okay with that. My main point is that I don't want his development stalled by spending time centering a non-scoring line.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He has to go back to Junior in the fall, I think. He's not 20 until January 1.

I feel like that is the worst place for his development
Only part I’m ok with is he would have a prominent spot on the WJC team as a returning 19 year old player. Other than that, I don’t think he’s challenged enough to continue to develop in the OHL. Bad Jr habits could set in etc.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad