Injury Report: Cole done for season and playoffs....

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Very unfortunate hope he makes a full recovery, given his history it might be the last time Cole plays hockey at all.

Cannot say I was ever a big fan of Cole, but most of that is his idiotic comments during the last lockout.

Still I thought he fit in well with the lineup, if can still play hockey and Blashill (yeah I went there) sees a fit when he talks to Ken Holland I hope we re-sign him for a couple years.

cole would be the next dan cleary if he's re-signed.

he looked washed up, offensive blackhole for 2 years, then got some jason spezza passes and played hard on contract year. he will never play this well again. if we are going to use a contract spot on someone else than a kid, i'd rather have it be for a good player.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This trade wasn't ideal to start with, felt like an overpayment. He has a long history of injuries, especially traumatic injury involving the spine/neck. While the sentiment behind the trade was admirable, the target, Cole, was a poor choice.

Yeah, I was more or less optimistic about Zidlicky because he so obviously addressed a need. With Cole his age, injury history and playing style were certainly cause for concern. At this point all you can hope is that he fully heals. At this stage of his life it might be best to call it a career. If he can get his health back then that's awesome.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Should not be resigned, too many forwards. If we resign him, it will take a spot from Pulkkinen/Mantha, so no thanks.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I don't think mantha will be ready for next year, Coles spot will be open still, I'd sign him for one year if possible. I'd imagine we will dump weiss, freeing up another spot.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Id resign Cole over Andersson next year. If he gets injured just bring up a guy Like AA mantha... they will be ready to get a look by then.

But yeah. Cole surely hasnt really stunned me too much. Maybe I expected him to get more points or something. But when you look at it he has done pretty good

Id rather resign Zidlicky over cole... Zidlicky was a steal..

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
And he may never walk again.,.:( No but really this sucks! Oh well hopefully we get Abby back soon enough now.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Like someone stated earlier, it's not like a bad knee. Really feel for him, i hope he can play next season. Maybe wings sign him if weiss is traded/bought out.

But while taking a s-hit, i had this amazing idea. Just wondering if you guys think it's realistic. What if detroit at the draft wants to pick Roy or kylington. If Detroit get a 16-18 pick it looks as if both would be available at that point, it would even be stupid to pick them that high as it stands right now in the draft rankings. And Toronto is sitting on Nashville's first rounder so what if detroit trade their pick for nashville's pick plus a 2nd round pick considering we don't have one anymore . Does leafs laugh and hang up? If so can detroit maybe package in a prospect aswell?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Like someone stated earlier, it's not like a bad knee. Really feel for him, i hope he can play next season. Maybe wings sign him if weiss is traded/bought out.

But while taking a s-hit, i had this amazing idea. Just wondering if you guys think it's realistic. What if detroit at the draft wants to pick Roy or kylington. If Detroit get a 16-18 pick it looks as if both would be available at that point, it would even be stupid to pick them that high as it stands right now in the draft rankings. And Toronto is sitting on Nashville's first rounder so what if detroit trade their pick for nashville's pick plus a 2nd round pick considering we don't have one anymore . Does leafs laugh and hang up? If so can detroit maybe package in a prospect aswell?

Draft rankings are not always a great indicator of actual draft position. I would be absolutely shocked if teams had Kylington ranked as low as you see in these rankings. I would bet a decent amount of money he does not make it past pick 20.

Again look at where DeAngelo, Sanheim, and Honka were ranked, then look at where they were picked....

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
My condolences here, Red Wings fans - I loved Cole when he played for the Hurricanes and still have a signed Cole jersey in my collection. That said I have a feeling that he's going to hang them up. The mention of playing with his kids called back this article from the 2005-06 season when he was recovering from the first neck injury (which nearly paralyzed him).

"I feel very fortunate that this wasn't much worse," Cole said, wistfully watching his teammates breeze around the rink. "I'll never take for granted being able to pick up my children."

Given the reference to his kids again in his presser and Babcock's echoes of that rationale, it makes it seem like he's concerned for his quality of life and that this was his wake-up call that. I'm sure many of you are frustrated since he was a playoff run pickup that you have little to show for, but sometimes the human factor outweighs the fan factor. He's got nothing more to prove in his career - he's got a ring, his name on the Cup, he's played for Team USA. There are bigger things than hockey and it might just be time for Erik to move on to a job where he can still be involved in the sport without having to worry about getting buried into the boards and coming out of it a quadriplegic. Good luck to you guys in the playoffs (just not too much luck on Saturday when the Wings are in Raleigh).

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
1st gone for Quincey, 2nd for 21 games of Legwand, 2nd for 11 games of Cole. Jornkrok, Janmark, Backman all gone with nothing to show. I think its time to start valuing the top 3 rounds of draft picks a bit more.

Hope Cole recovers well, with his injury history this was easy to see coming.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
1st gone for Quincey, 2nd for 21 games of Legwand, 2nd for 11 games of Cole. Jornkrok, Janmark, Backman all gone with nothing to show. I think its time to start valuing the top 3 rounds of draft picks a bit more.

It's unreasonable to expect every single asset to generate a return.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

I have a different take: if you're gonna trade, get proven guys in their prime. People thought Rick Nash was done as a top flight goal scorer. Not looking too bad right now, is he? People thought Tyler Myers wasn't an offensive d-man anymore. He's scoring at a nice clip on a real hockey team and he'd address our biggest need by far.

Cole isn't much more than what Franzen is at this point in his career. Zidlicky will never be a top pairing guy. You get what you pay for and when you are searching the bargain bin you aren't going to address your biggest needs.

Aug 6, 2012
Considering the prospects traded had zero future in Detroit I'd say getting even short term assets is pretty decent.

I will never understand this thinking. How did they have zero future in Detroit? They didn't even get a chance to prove themselves in NA yet. Just because they got traded doesn't mean they didn't have a future here. If either turns out to be a solid player I'm sure they would've been playing in Detroit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I will never understand this thinking. How did they have zero future in Detroit? They didn't even get a chance to prove themselves in NA yet. Just because they got traded doesn't mean they didn't have a future here. If either turns out to be a solid player I'm sure they would've been playing in Detroit.

He's right in they likely didn't have a future here after everything that transpired.

But it also didn't have to be that way. Signing Brennan Evans so one of Sproul or Backman had to be scratched every night was idiotic. They could have and should have made room for the prospects to be regulars. Backman's whole thing was he wanted to play, for the sake of his development. And I don't fault him for that. I'm sure Nill will handle the situation better, and get something out of at least 1 of the 2.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's right in they likely didn't have a future here after everything that transpired.

But it also didn't have to be that way. Signing Brennan Evans so one of Sproul or Backman had to be scratched every night was idiotic. They could have and should have made room for the prospects to be regulars. Backman's whole thing was he wanted to play, for the sake of his development. And I don't fault him for that. I'm sure Nill will handle the situation better, and get something out of at least 1 of the 2.

Considering at least one of XO, Marchenko, or Jensen could/should have started the year in Detroit and even signing Evans shouldn't have been a problem getting everyone ice time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Considering at least one of XO, Marchenko, or Jensen could/should have started the year in Detroit and even signing Evans shouldn't have been a problem getting everyone ice time.

Right, the whole thing should've been handled better. But hoarders gona hoard.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Totally suck. Can you be our GM? Top 3 rounds eh? Mantha, Larkin, Tatar, Gator, Nyquist, XO, Sproul etc.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Right, the whole thing should've been handled better. But hoarders gona hoard.

Well, on the upside, moving the two Swedes to Dallas does free up more spots moving forward. For every departure is another chance for a different guy, probably somebody the Wings like more, to step up.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well, on the upside, moving the two Swedes to Dallas does free up more spots moving forward. For every departure is another chance for a different guy, probably somebody the Wings like more, to step up.

Have to think Athanasiou and Larkin looking so impressive on this side of the Atlantic, and Holmstrom having the season he had in Sweden made it a lot easier to move Janmark. Nosek deserves mention, too. Realistically, was Janmark going to pass any of the guys in North America right now? I don't think so, even if he came to GR next year he'd be potentially competing with Athanasiou, Nosek, and Larkin for center spots. Good luck with that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Have to think Athanasiou and Larkin looking so impressive on this side of the Atlantic, and Holmstrom having the season he had in Sweden made it a lot easier to move Janmark. Nosek deserves mention, too. Realistically, was Janmark going to pass any of the guys in North America right now? I don't think so, even if he came to GR next year he'd be potentially competing with Athanasiou, Nosek, and Larkin for center spots. Good luck with that.

Don't really care about Janmark as much, but Backman was what, our 3rd ranked D prospect for awhile? He was always in our top 10 ranking on here. And Babcock liked him and spoke highly of him too.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Don't really care about Janmark as much, but Backman was what, our 3rd ranked D prospect for awhile? He was always in our top 10 ranking on here. And Babcock liked him and spoke highly of him too.

He sealed his fate when he skipped back to Sweden, though. I agree that we shouldn't have had such a log jam in GR and that he should have been getting minutes regardless, but he also wasn't setting himself apart down there. I'm guessing the Wings were seeing something in his play at GR that raised some red flags for them. They had to know he was unhappy at least a little while before it went public, and they didn't exactly rush to ensure he'd get playing time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad