Cole Caufield re-draft 2019

Caufield redraft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Perfetti?

That's pretty optimistic. I mean a season of ppg maybe but think any expectations of that kind of production consistently is probably unfair for those players.
You could be right, I try not to deviate from my initial potential I label guys with (once I learn about them) too much based on prospect production.

Many examples around the league, multiple each franchise, of guys who are mediocre or lackluster as prospects; then they find another gear in the NHL (my theory is its a lot of maturity and when it happens, as to overlapping your NHL start)

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
How was that post arrogant?
I think he thought you were saying "look how smart I am, knowing all these prospects!", when in reality you were very clearly saying "Look how many of these young prospects and players have made themselves known with how good they are!".

Thats my take on it, anyways.

Reactions: Doc5

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
IMO
1. Caufield
2. Seider
3. Zegras
4. Hughes
5. Dach

But so much can change starting as soon as next season. They are all still so young. But as of now I would pick Caufield esp after his amazing performance in the playoffs where many players and even superstars struggle immensely *cough*cough Marner *cough

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
IMO
1. Caufield
2. Seider
3. Zegras
4. Hughes
5. Dach

But so much can change starting as soon as next season. They are all still so young. But as of now I would pick Caufield esp after his amazing performance in the playoffs where many players and even superstars struggle immensely *cough*cough Marner *cough

10 points in 18 playoff games is amazing? Now subtract his offense from how brutal he has been with his turnovers, positioning and shot selection.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
IMO
1. Caufield
2. Seider
3. Zegras
4. Hughes
5. Dach

Marner had 17 points in his first 20 playoff games though, so is it not a little early to count your chickens before they hatch?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Marner had 17 points in his first 20 playoff games though, so is it not a little early to count your chickens before they hatch?
sure points are points... But even then as a star 17 in 20 isnt that good esp when taking into his most recent playoff performances.
I mean vs MTL he scored 4 in 7, not bad eh? But he was absolutely brutal every single game and gifted a few goals to mtl.

Most will agree marner isnt the same in the playoffs and that he is bad when the competition ramps up. His G7 stats are atrocious. And hes paid 10M+.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
sure points are points... But even then as a star 17 in 20 isnt that good esp when taking into his most recent playoff performances.
I mean vs MTL he scored 4 in 7, not bad eh? But he was absolutely brutal every single game and gifted a few goals to mtl.

Most will agree marner isnt the same in the playoffs and that he is bad when the competition ramps up. His G7 stats are atrocious. And hes paid 10M+.
I can agree to a lot of that but in his first two playoffs he was actually extremely good both sides of the puck and was also putting up points. Since then he has fallen off, so I'm just saying its a little early to declare Caufield as a future stud based on 18 playoff games. I think the body of work Hughes has put in (where he hasnt had a chance to show his playoff prowess) deserves to retain the number 1 spot and its a bit premature to put Caufield above that, yet.

Not to say he cant get there, because by all accounts he looks fantastic most of the time.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I think he thought you were saying "look how smart I am, knowing all these prospects!", when in reality you were very clearly saying "Look how many of these young prospects and players have made themselves known with how good they are!".

Thats my take on it, anyways.
Oh yeah definitely the latter, I love following prospects but suck at analyzing them and forecasting how good they’ll be. I just meant that the fact that even I know them means that they’re doing well.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I can agree to a lot of that but in his first two playoffs he was actually extremely good both sides of the puck and was also putting up points. Since then he has fallen off, so I'm just saying its a little early to declare Caufield as a future stud based on 18 playoff games. I think the body of work Hughes has put in (where he hasnt had a chance to show his playoff prowess) deserves to retain the number 1 spot and its a bit premature to put Caufield above that, yet.

Not to say he cant get there, because by all accounts he looks fantastic most of the time.
I agree Marner was actually good in the playoffs in the first two years but as i said recently he has been awful. Tho tbh I would absolutely love to have him in MTL even at his cap hit.

About Caufield, im not basing my opinion on just 18 games or so but rather the way they look play and control the play. I just see more star potential in Caufield than Hughes imo. I could be wrong obv... But Caufield has literally everything you would want in your superstar minus size. So skilled and quick with an other worldy shot. Insane talent.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
IMO
1. Caufield
2. Seider
3. Zegras
4. Hughes
5. Dach

How on Earth does Hughes fall here? Really weird considering he was the Devils' most dominant player this season and outscored everyone else on that list for pace and raw numbers.

Monsterdave316

Jul 4, 2021
I have him at #5 but wayy too early to tell. Would like to see his play around the puck improve as well as his defensive awareness.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How on Earth does Hughes fall here? Really weird considering he was the Devils' most dominant player this season and outscored everyone else on that list for pace and raw numbers.
He had what, a 50 point pace?

For a #1OA in his sophomore season it’s still disappointing even he’s trending the right way, personally I would take Seider and Zegras ahead of him. Caufield, no.

Reactions: TS Quint

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
He had what, a 50 point pace?

For a #1OA in his sophomore season it’s still disappointing even he’s trending the right way, personally I would take Seider and Zegras ahead of him. Caufield, no.

That doesn't make those players better than him. You can be disappointed but he projects really and is outplaying these guys despite that

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Cuz the devils suck and I expect to him struggle to score much with bad devils linemates

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Jersey would gladly take Caufield over Hughes if given the chance for a do-over

No chance they'd give up their most dominant player for a decent young complementary player.

Cuz the devils suck and I expect to him struggle to score much with bad devils linemates

Good argument for him actually being better than he gets credit for. Two or three weeks of COVID in there too

Caufield is a nice young piece who has had some success, but i have a very hard time putting him in the top five, and bumping Hughes down doesn't make much sense

Reactions: vtdevils2k

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think 10 points in 18 games playoffs games it's pretty good and 3 games it's against a very good team like Tampa. In a season on 82 games against bad team... this kid is going to put some multi-point.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Jersey would gladly take Caufield over Hughes if given the chance for a do-over
Hmm.. A Center who makes Sedin twin like passes that make the Devils stable in the Center position for years or a 2nd line goal scorer that is a liability when he isn't scoring, Not to mention that He's a giveaway machine and is easily pushed off the puck.

Caufield is already close to hitting his ceiling, He's not going to grow bigger and no matter what weight puts on he will get Knocked off the puck. Cole is so one dimensional that he is one leg injury away from being out of the NHL.

Meanwhile If Hughes gains muscle he will get harder to be pushed off the puck and if Hughes has a similar injury he still could rely on his play making.

Montreal got a great pick at 15 but no GM in the NHL would pick Caufield 1st overall. He's like 5 spots down on the list of type of players Teams need to be competitive.

Reactions: tacogeoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad