Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The league is too easy for him. Wish he played in Europe instead.

I think this is a good test of Caufield this year right where he is. There is not much talent for him to work with compared to what Newhook has or had last year and Caufield leading his team both in production and making others better around him would be of value to me.

With his size, I rather see good development from season to season as he gains muscle and strength as he gets older. Bumping him forward might cause a setback. The biggest evaluation to Caufield is when he turns pro and how he adjust to less time and space and more bigger/physical players. That's probably the 21/22 season... I don't see any problems with two years of NCAA at age 18 and 19.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm ok with him gaining confidence, as Suzuki did in 2018-2019 in the OHL while KK hit a wall 2/3 of the way into the NHL season. The NCAA is supposed to be a much better league than the OHL, because players tend to be much older.

Agreed. I think we all know his skill already but Caufield figuring out how to play with less time and space and more physical players is the other part of his development that flies under the radar. His skill and shot is not in question. The other 200' part of the game is undetermined but I feel he is focusing at that area and I like it!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Production comes and goes but the encouraging thing is hearing how dynamic and well rounded Caufield has been playing thus far this season. That’s the real take away for me so far. Glad he got a hatty as it was definitely due based on his play.

Agreed. The evaluation on his overall game beyond point production is great development if he shows he can be a leader by how hard he works. Making players around you better is underrated and I feel Caufield is doing that.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
To see Caufiled dominate in a mans league like he is, is extremely promising. This isn't the OHL where this is common place. He's killing it and had a slow start. I can only imagine how much better he'll be when he hits his stride. He has scary level talent. If he was 2 inches taller, he'd have gone earlier in the top 10, maybe top 5. There aren't a lot of names ahead of him I'd rather take a year later.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed. I think we all know his skill already but Caufield figuring out how to play with less time and space and more physical players is the other part of his development that flies under the radar. His skill and shot is not in question. The other 200' part of the game is undetermined but I feel he is focusing at that area and I like it!

We all know the old saying: "I've seen players come to the NHL 1 season too early and it hurt their development, but I've never seen a player play too many seasons in the AHL."

I haven't heard the same said about the CHL or NCAA. But I would think it's true.

Caufield will have plenty of time to learn to play with less time and space. I would have no problem with him playing 1 full year in the AHL next year. I would have no problem with Poehlibg joining him next year for a 2nd consecutive full year in the AHL.

Tatar and Plekanec each played 4 full years in the AHL and went on to have great careers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To see Caufiled dominate in a mans league like he is, is extremely promising. This isn't the OHL where this is common place. He's killing it and had a slow start. I can only imagine how much better he'll be when he hits his stride. He has scary level talent. If he was 2 inches taller, he'd have gone earlier in the top 10, maybe top 5. There aren't a lot of names ahead of him I'd rather take a year later.

NCAA is a heavily coached league between games too. I'm sure the other team's coaches are focusing on Caufield on their game plans. This is a good test for Caufield playing on a team with limited talent.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
easily a top 5 pick if he was taller

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
in regards to his all round game, as I said many times last year his effort at times without the puck was just embarrassing. He very clearly stated he wanted to sign an NHL contract and then must have gotten a big surprise when MB told him no. So credit to him for not sulking and being a leader at least as evidenced by his on ice play (not talking about the offense). I had said going into this season I expected that he was told no contract because of how poor the effort was and that he would get the message do what was asked of him so that he can sign at the end of this season. Granted that was based off nothing but speculation on my part but so far it looks to be the case.

The good news is we should see him turn pro in a few months, the bad news is after that we have nothing at forward unless Ylonen turns into something really good or Poehling finds an offensive level I haven't seen. Of course you have the '20 draft guys so we'll see how they look by the end of the season.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014

The second one is a nasty, nasty wrister. He really seemed more physically mature and it's a great thing to see. We can also see that he is more than "just" a goal scorer.

He's looking like the real deal (not that he wasn't prior to this season) and can't wait to see him in the NHL.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
The second one is a nasty, nasty wrister. He really seemed more physically mature and it's a great thing to see. We can also see that he is more than "just" a goal scorer.

He's looking like the real deal (not that he wasn't prior to this season) and can't wait to see him in the NHL.
His shot is ridiculous, he would have one of the best shots in the NHL right now if he were playing in the league
The all around game really seems to be coming together as well
People who doubted him are going to look awfully silly in a few years time

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
His shot is ridiculous, he would have one of the best shots in the NHL right now if he were playing in the league
That's a bit of a stretch. he would definitely have one of the most precise shot for sure. Overall shot no. He has an extremely Quick release and precise shot but it's not that strong. He can score from any angle but not any distance, hence why it's f***ing stupid he plays the left point or top right circle on the powerplay right now.

Good news, You can pretty much only beat goaltenders up close or when they are screened in the NHL. his types of goal are HIGHLY translatable to the NHL and as much as people like to shit on his size, his type of play isn't very counterable. he'll always find soft ice, create passing lane for himself, quickly move the puck to set himself a lane to shoot from, mix that with being able to shoot from any angle. Trying to cover Caufield will open even more dangerous spot and when he'll play with highly talented players he'll look even better. Using his playmaking abilities and deceptions to his game like he is right now will make him extremely dangerous.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looking at this video, I think Caufield has a ways to go along the walls... especially when he turns pro. He bailed on the puck once he knew contact was coming and a turnover on the PP. Remember, Both Drouin and Domi got heat for that on our team when they did that! Listen, I believe in this kid just as much as any other Habs fan but time and space when he turns pro and playing against more physical players will require adjustment. Hope he proves me wrong like Suzuki did! In the exception to the rule, does both Suzuki and Caufield become exceptions? :sarcasm:

Kid has very good offensive game but time will tell how he adjust to the pro level and how long it takes him to adjust. He's going to need a physical center... I think KK fits more than Suzuki to be honest.

I'm usually labeled as a "positive one". Are the negative ones going to notice this? I doubt it, they already have their mind made up and rarely notice things like this. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Dude relax, that isn't true. Have you even watched guys like Tatar and Suzuki snap the puck? Kotkaniemi has a deadly shot, so does Leks. At this point its just a 'shot', and those are dime a dozen in the NHL. However he has nice accuracy, and hand/eye

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Dude relax, that isn't true. Have you even watched guys like Tatar and Suzuki snap the puck? Kotkaniemi has a deadly shot, so does Leks. At this point its just a 'shot', and those are dime a dozen in the NHL. However he has nice accuracy, and hand/eye
It is true, but go off I guess
Caufield's shot is by far his best asset and the reason he shattered the USNDTP goal record

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It is true, but go off I guess
Caufield's shot is by far his best asset and the reason he shattered the USNDTP goal record

You are talking about 2 different ideas now. Of course it is his best asset, this was never argued. You said his shot would be tops in the NHL, but that's just silly and untrue.

Reactions: Gravity

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
in regards to his all round game, as I said many times last year his effort at times without the puck was just embarrassing. He very clearly stated he wanted to sign an NHL contract and then must have gotten a big surprise when MB told him no. So credit to him for not sulking and being a leader at least as evidenced by his on ice play (not talking about the offense). I had said going into this season I expected that he was told no contract because of how poor the effort was and that he would get the message do what was asked of him so that he can sign at the end of this season. Granted that was based off nothing but speculation on my part but so far it looks to be the case.

The good news is we should see him turn pro in a few months, the bad news is after that we have nothing at forward unless Ylonen turns into something really good or Poehling finds an offensive level I haven't seen. Of course you have the '20 draft guys so we'll see how they look by the end of the season.

Maybe Ruscheinski could transition to forward and do the reverse Brent Burns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad