Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 5) - No Sophmore Slump, please Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Last July, certainly. At the training camp though and early season? Not so sure.

Poehling was fine at training camp until the injury. He looked good up until that concussion, which I believe was his first so it's possible he struggled with it or lingering effects when he was sent to Laval.

But typical Habs and MB shit development, Poehling goes pointless in his first 3 games in Laval, then puts up 5 pts in 6 games, then goes pointless in the next 4 (one of which he gets benched) only to get called up to the NHL for 4 games where he played just under 8 mins to just over 9 mins a game. Goes back to Laval, gets 1 pt in 8 games before finally starting to get something going again picks up 6 pts in 5 games so of course he gets called up again just as he was starting to find a grove. Plays 23 games and puts up just 2 pts. only 3 of those 23 did he play more then 12:38 but 14 were over 10 mins. Goes back down puts up 1 pt in the final 10 games with Laval getting that point in the final game.

Development 101 by MB.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
The world Juniors were hus age group and he didn't dominate there. I don't see the problem with playing against his age group.

If he dominates in Junior, can he be called up to the AHL?
The wjhc is a whole different concept (you need quick chemistry and momentum)... Short tournament, on every team there's players that need to adjust to roles they're not necessarily used to... team usa as a whole had a disappointing wjc ultimately, i do not see a problem with him playing his age group either, it's mostly a "next logical step" to me really... And no you can't call up a junior (chl) player except for an emergency call up. Since he played a year in college maybe the rule is different I'm not quite sure... Again not saying you're right or wrong it's just my opinion, i wouldn't be outraged if he ended up in the soo

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Poehling was fine at training camp until the injury. He looked good up until that concussion, which I believe was his first so it's possible he struggled with it or lingering effects when he was sent to Laval.

But typical Habs and MB shit development, Poehling goes pointless in his first 3 games in Laval, then puts up 5 pts in 6 games, then goes pointless in the next 4 (one of which he gets benched) only to get called up to the NHL for 4 games where he played just under 8 mins to just over 9 mins a game. Goes back to Laval, gets 1 pt in 8 games before finally starting to get something going again picks up 6 pts in 5 games so of course he gets called up again just as he was starting to find a grove. Plays 23 games and puts up just 2 pts. only 3 of those 23 did he play more then 12:38 but 14 were over 10 mins. Goes back down puts up 1 pt in the final 10 games with Laval getting that point in the final game.

Development 101 by MB.
Poehling also pouted and bitched like a little kid when things weren't going his way and stopped trying even when the Habs wrongfully called him up to make him happy. He also didn't train properly to have a shot at redemption in the play ins not to mention there are serious rumours about him being addicted to video games. It won't matter when we called him up when a guy has an attitude like this. So much preach about having attitude/mentality/whatever f***ing synonym they want to use, yet this kid has been the polar opposite of what our supposed identity is. His nightmare of a season had very very little to do with us calling him up. The kid has a problem and he could have the best development team in the history of sports, but that won't resolve a damn thing. Only thing we can do is hope he grows up or else it's likely done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1909

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Where's this guy going to play?

no one knows yet, the NCAA has not made anything official.

Poehling also pouted and bitched like a little kid when things weren't going his way and stopped trying even when the Habs wrongfully called him up to make him happy. He also didn't train properly to have a shot at redemption in the play ins not to mention there are serious rumours about him being addicted to video games. It won't matter when we called him up when a guy has an attitude like this. So much preach about having attitude/mentality/whatever f***ing synonym they want to use, yet this kid has been the polar opposite of what our supposed identity is. His nightmare of a season had very very little to do with us calling him up. The kid has a problem and he could have the best development team in the history of sports, but that won't resolve a damn thing. Only thing we can do is hope he grows up or else it's likely done.

I can't speak to the pouting, all I know is after having watched a lot of him in the NCAA, most of his games since he was drafted he didn't look like himself at all. Did the concussion play into that? was he pouting, I don't know all I can say was while I was very disappointed in Brook, Poehling was shockingly bad and I can't really say why whereas with Brook I could see his issues more clearly.

As for the call up, it's not so much about the move as you never know how it's going to effect each prospect, it speaks more to a GM that is utterly clueless and hasn't learned a thing from past issues. That's what concerns me the most, I know some poo poo development which I can never get behind but in all my years of hockey I have never seen a GM and coach make so many mistakes it actually blows my mind how pros could be that bad at their job and have them for as long as each did. But he's at least fixed one issue on the development side and not rushing Caufield shows maybe he is learning from past mistakes.

In the end Poehling needs to be way better or he's going to be a 4th liner that bounces around and if he doesn't learn to keep his head up he likely won't have a long career either. That said I know he can be a lot better then he's shown at least at the AHL level as I didn't see too much of him at the NHL level.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Where's this guy going to play?

Right now, Caufield is still set to play in the NCAA. There is no official word on their hockey season yet.

NCAA teams have prepared their ice rinks and opened their gyms for the players to hit the ice and work out (with guidelines of course). There is a post somewhere in the thread that shows Caufield and some of his Wisconsin teammates working out in the gym.

If the NCAA pushes their start date back, then it depends how far back they push it. So he may end up staying there and train until the NCAA season starts.

If the NCAA cancels their season, then it depends. He can play for the Soo Greyhounds of the OHL, who drafted him in the CHL. However, in a recent interview with Arpon Basu, Caufield is not interested in that option. He would rather either play in the NCAA, where he plays against older players than to go in the OHL where he would play mostly against players his age or younger.

He told Arpon that if the NCAA season is cancelled, he thinks signing with Montreal is the best option. And signing with Montreal doesn't necessarily mean he would play in the NHL, but rather play in Laval.

Reactions: cphabs

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Newhook had great d+1 year, better than Caufield actualy. Not the best exemple for me.
Krebs would have been a risky pick also.

But, yeah, going for a high risk, high reward player at 16, if possible.
I don't know man. I didn't watch them this year. But their stats are similar. Newhook had 6 more assists while playing on a stacked BC team. Caufield was the leading horse of the offence for Wisconsin.
And before the draft last year, Caufield was in the top ten on most people's list whereas Newhook was in the teens. Caufield was considered to be arguably the best pure goal scorer of the draft and he dropped due to his size. I've always viewed Caufield as a first-line goal scorer should he fulfilled all of his potential whereas Newhook is a top 6 with better two way play.

Reactions: Toene

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
I don't know man. I didn't watch them this year. But their stats are similar. Newhook had 6 more assists while playing on a stacked BC team. Caufield was the leading horse of the offence for Wisconsin.
And before the draft last year, Caufield was in the top ten on most people's list whereas Newhook was in the teens. Caufield was considered to be arguably the best pure goal scorer of the draft and he dropped due to his size. I've always viewed Caufield as a first-line goal scorer should he fulfilled all of his potential whereas Newhook is a top 6 with better two way play.

Caufield was a high risk, high reward for sure. Newhook was risky also in the way that some ranking had some dought about his ceiling. Krebs was risky because of his injury, with higher ceiling also (great IQ). Caufield is less complete (defensively, and he needs a playmaker to feed him) and he is really small. In a redraft, I think Newhook and Krebs are in front of Caufield right now. But, It doesn't meen that Caufield is not a good pick. Well see.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Newhook has a very high ceiling. My concerns about him were the brainfarts he would have every single time I watched him play.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Caufield was a high risk, high reward for sure. Newhook was risky also in the way that some ranking had some dought about his ceiling. Krebs was risky because of his injury, with higher ceiling also (great IQ). Caufield is less complete (defensively, and he needs a playmaker to feed him) and he is really small. In a redraft, I think Newhook and Krebs are in front of Caufield right now. But, It doesn't meen that Caufield is not a good pick. Well see.

If you rewatch the draft, I don't like the way they made the decision on the draft floor - and that their decision was based on our need of drafting a goal scorer who can help on the pp. ALWAYS DRAFT BPA. IF YOU CAN'T DECIPHER WHO YOU THINK IS THE BPA, YOU SHOULDN'T BE A SCOUT.

At the 3 minute mark.

Reactions: Eegs and Frank JT

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Right now, Caufield is still set to play in the NCAA. There is no official word on their hockey season yet.

NCAA teams have prepared their ice rinks and opened their gyms for the players to hit the ice and work out (with guidelines of course). There is a post somewhere in the thread that shows Caufield and some of his Wisconsin teammates working out in the gym.

If the NCAA pushes their start date back, then it depends how far back they push it. So he may end up staying there and train until the NCAA season starts.

If the NCAA cancels their season, then it depends. He can play for the Soo Greyhounds of the OHL, who drafted him in the CHL. However, in a recent interview with Arpon Basu, Caufield is not interested in that option. He would rather either play in the NCAA, where he plays against older players than to go in the OHL where he would play mostly against players his age or younger.

He told Arpon that if the NCAA season is cancelled, he thinks signing with Montreal is the best option. And signing with Montreal doesn't necessarily mean he would play in the NHL, but rather play in Laval.
Thanks Adam!

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If you rewatch the draft, I don't like the way they made the decision on the draft floor - and that their decision was based on our need of drafting a goal scorer who can help on the pp. ALWAYS DRAFT BPA. IF YOU CAN'T DECIPHER WHO YOU THINK IS THE BPA, YOU SHOULDN'T BE A SCOUT.

At the 3 minute mark.

Hopefully Claude remembers why they drafted him when he gets him and doesn’t try to make him a ‘better person’ before he gets a chance to show what he can do

Reactions: montreal

tooji

Nov 24, 2015

At the 3 minute mark.

Not sure what you're seeing in this video. They were clearly gunning for caufield and just hoping that one of the other teams took a goalie to have a better shot at him.

Reactions: Mandala

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure what you're seeing in this video. They were clearly gunning for caufield and just hoping that one of the other teams took a goalie to have a better shot at him.

I saw right after Philly picked and we were up to pick, Timmins say: "What do you want to do? I say Caufield." Churla then says: "we need goal scoring. We need power play. Let's go Caufield."

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

At the 3 minute mark.

You’re reaching with this one. If the choice is between a forward and a dman BPA isn’t an obvious decision. Both seemed pretty convinced on Caufield.

It’s possible a few players were available on their list.

Reactions: Dutronc and Mandala

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I'm really hyped about Caufield and hope he turns into the goal scorer this team desperately need (if Bergy can't pull off a Laine trade of course hehe), but I really hope something like this never happens to him lmaooo

Reactions: Hins77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You’re reaching with this one. If the choice is between a forward and a dman BPA isn’t an obvious decision. Both seemed pretty convinced on Caufield.

It’s possible a few players were available on their list.

Am I really reaching? It's a couple minutes until you have to get up and make your selection and you ask your team: "what do you want to do, I say Caufield?" Like really, guys, you don't have a list of players in order, made in advance, and know who you'll choose based on that list???

And they specifically said let's draft Caufield because we need scoring and help on the pp. I mean Timmins has openly admited they weren't taking BPA in later rounds and rather targeting left D. But just because he's admitted it, doesn't mean I can't criticize the philosophy of not taking BPA.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Am I really reaching? It's a couple minutes until you have to get up and make your selection and you ask your team: "what do you want to do, I say Caufield?" Like really, guys, you don't have a list of players in order, made in advance, and know who you'll choose based on that list???

And they specifically said let's draft Caufield because we need scoring and help on the pp. I mean Timmins has openly admited they weren't taking BPA in later rounds and rather targeting left D. But just because he's admitted it, doesn't mean I can't criticize the philosophy of not taking BPA.

Maybe your philosophy is based off of stringent guidelines that don’t exist for people who actually work in the field.

“BPA” is pretty meaningless when you’re drafting in later slots and most players come with question marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad