Prospect Info: Cole Caufield Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Gonna knee jerk here but maybe it was actually Cole that made Jack better.

I’m not going to go dig the posts up, but a lot of folks, including scouts, suggested his numbers were boosted playing with Jack.

Not suggesting it was the other way around but if anything, early indicators say Cole will be just fine.

At the NHL level, if he is paired with Kotkaniemi or Poehling, I think the size issues will be mitigated somewhat. Ideally, there will be at least semi skilled power winger with them.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I’m not going to go dig the posts up, but a lot of folks, including scouts, suggested his numbers were boosted playing with Jack.

Not suggesting it was the other way around but if anything, early indicators say Cole will be just fine.

At the NHL level, if he is paired with Kotkaniemi or Poehling, I think the size issues will be mitigated somewhat. Ideally, there will be at least semi skilled power winger with them.

There was a selection of about 24 games in which Jack Hughes didn't play, but Caufield did, against USHL, international U18 and NCAA, and Caufield f***ed shit up. The idea that Hughes was inflating his totals never engaged with that fact. This fact also challenged the notion that he was just beating up on a weak league. Neither of these were addressed: Caufield was smål.

But there was another thing: just because you are playing with a good player doesn't mean that all of your goals are because of that player. Some fraction of your goals might be because of an incredible play by your wunderkind linemate, but all of them? No way. Thus people who wanted to make that argument needed to quantify by how much his totals were inflated. This was never done in a serious way, that I saw.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I do agree with the last part... Caufield needs to play with a complete 200' center like Kotkaniemi or Poehling and having a power forward or "not soft" type as the other winger.

How does this look and can it be a contender if our kids reach their ceiling?

Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Suzuki
Domi / Poehling / Caufield
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher

I wonder if Tatar is back after the next two seasons? Can Suzuki be the right fit with Drouin and Kotkaniemi? Who do we draft in the next draft or two that might fit into our top 6?

Very curious to see how our roster looks like after the 21 off season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I do agree with the last part... Caufield needs to play with a complete 200' center like Kotkaniemi or Poehling and having a power forward or "not soft" type as the other winger.

How does this look and can it be a contender if our kids reach their ceiling?

Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Suzuki
Domi / Poehling / Caufield
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher

I wonder if Tatar is back after the next two seasons? Can Suzuki be the right fit with Drouin and Kotkaniemi? Who do we draft in the next draft or two that might fit into our top 6?

Very curious to see how our roster looks like after the 21 off season.

I think a Domi-Caufield duo could be great. It will be interested to see if Caufield gets a shot at the end of the year.

Nice to see Drouin developing chemistry with KK. In the brief moments their shifts overlapped last game, KK and Suzuki seemed to have chemistry. It's good to see that Suzuki seems loke he'll be strong along the boards.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think a Domi-Caufield duo could be great. It will be interested to see if Caufield gets a shot at the end of the year.

Nice to see Drouin developing chemistry with KK. In the brief moments their shifts overlapped last game, KK and Suzuki seemed to have chemistry. It's good to see that Suzuki seems loke he'll be strong along the boards.

Agreed.

- Domi with Caufield and Poehling in the mix would be a good line. It would be tough to contain IMO.
- Drouin with Kotkaneimi does look good. Hope they can continue to gain momentum as Kotkaniemi grows into his frame and Drouin enters his prime years.
- Not 100% sure where Suzuki fits yet. Hope he can play wing and chip in at center when needed.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed.

- Domi with Caufield and Poehling in the mix would be a good line. It would be tough to contain IMO.
- Drouin with Kotkaneimi does look good. Hope they can continue to gain momentum as Kotkaniemi grows into his frame and Drouin enters his prime years.
- Not 100% sure where Suzuki fits yet. Hope he can play wing and chip in at center when needed.

both suzuki and kk are smart and creative with the puck. They should play well together. With that kind of line you could potentially see too much east-west play. But I don't think it would happen that way. Both want results, not to screw around. Drouin seems to be the same - finally.

... if we can't make a trade for fair value, 2 of Domi, Suzuki, and Poehling will have to play wing.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
both suzuki and kk are smart and creative with the puck. They should play well together. With that kind of line you could potentially see too much east-west play. But I don't think it would happen that way. Both want results, not to screw around. Drouin seems to be the same - finally.

... if we can't make a trade for fair value, 2 of Domi, Suzuki, and Poehling will have to play wing.
One of those three is not the same as the others, LOL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I have Domi and Suzuki on wing evenutally... if Kotkaniemi and Poehling can be top 2C's. Moving Danault to 3C would be 3 very good 200' centers who can win face offs and not be taken advantage of physically.

Domi can be our puck possession winger like Marchand.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I have Domi and Suzuki on wing evenutally... if Kotkaniemi and Poehling can be top 2C's. Moving Danault to 3C would be 3 very good 200' centers who can win face offs and not be taken advantage of physically.

Domi can be our puck possession winger like Marchand.
The only issue I have with your idea is Danault is going to be way too expensive for 3rd line c after next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only issue I have with your idea is Danault is going to be way too expensive for 3rd line c after next season.

Hard to say... A $5M 3C is not terrible and the cap inflation is a factor. Two more years of cap inflation and what does Danault do more than he is now in the next two years? I think he wants to play in Montreal and $5M might work.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hard to say... A $5M 3C is not terrible and the cap inflation is a factor. Two more years of cap inflation and what does Danault do more than he is now in the next two years? I think he wants to play in Montreal and $5M might work.
I'd be absolutely shocked if he took 5m per year with all the inflated usage he's getting right now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd be absolutely shocked if he took 5m per year with all the inflated usage he's getting right now.

Do you think some team gives him north of $6M AAV from age 29+? I doubt any team has Danault in their top 2C plans. If he bust out into a 60-80 pts center in the next two years, then yeah, we should keep him and pay him!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Do you think some team gives him north of $6M AAV from age 29+? I doubt any team has Danault in their top 2C plans. If he bust out into a 60-80 pts center in the next two years, then yeah, we should keep him and pay him!
The Habs have been playing him 20minutes a night for four years now, he's gonna get at least 6.5 millions.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs have been playing him 20minutes a night for four years now, he's gonna get at least 6.5 millions.

Possible yes and we have two years of production to look at as well as cap inflation. We could let him walk but I doubt he asks for over payment to stay in Montreal.

If Danault forces our hand where he is worth $6.5M on the open market, that is a good thing cause that means he has earned top 2C status (not just on our roster).

Reactions: dralaf

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Possible yes and we have two years of production to look at as well as cap inflation. We could let him walk but I doubt he asks for over payment to stay in Montreal.

If Danault forces our hand where he is worth $6.5M on the open market, that is a good thing cause that means he has earned top 2C status (not just on our roster).
There's GM's just as dumb as ours out there he doesn't have to do anymore than play 20 mins a night for one of them to offer him 6m+ per year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's GM's just as dumb as ours out there he doesn't have to do anymore than play 20 mins a night for one of them to offer him 6m+ per year.

Yes, that is true but we know what we have with Danault. If his production remains the same for this season and next, I'd seriously consider bringing him back and to evaluate what he is asking for. If a team wants to pay him as a top 2C where it's closer to $7M vs $6M, let him walk. But if we are building a contender, Danault in the 3C spot is ideal. I think any team that will be interested in him will feel the same.

Does Danault try to take us to the max deal? I doubt that and it's a balance on what we can offer him vs what others are offering him. Do you think he leaves Montreal for $1M a year difference between what we offer and what he can get?

Very similar to Bozak when the Leafs had him playing as their #1C with Kessel. I think some people say he will get paid like Hayes vs Bozak. Bozak signed his current deal in July of 18 ($5M AAV). Where is he playing right now? 3C! Lets say we have to pay Danault $6M in two years time but let Tatar go? I don't think that is a big problem.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
There was a selection of about 24 games in which Jack Hughes didn't play, but Caufield did, against USHL, international U18 and NCAA, and Caufield ****ed **** up. The idea that Hughes was inflating his totals never engaged with that fact. This fact also challenged the notion that he was just beating up on a weak league. Neither of these were addressed: Caufield was smål.

But there was another thing: just because you are playing with a good player doesn't mean that all of your goals are because of that player. Some fraction of your goals might be because of an incredible play by your wunderkind linemate, but all of them? No way. Thus people who wanted to make that argument needed to quantify by how much his totals were inflated. This was never done in a serious way, that I saw.

A good example of this is Jarri Kurri. Was he good because of Gretzky? Did he contribute to Gretzky's greatness? Both statements are true IMO. That guy could read Gretzky's play like no other, but obviously the 99 would have been awesome still without him, and Kurri was an amazing goal scorer on his own. The combo however was magic.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
There was a selection of about 24 games in which Jack Hughes didn't play, but Caufield did, against USHL, international U18 and NCAA, and Caufield ****ed **** up. The idea that Hughes was inflating his totals never engaged with that fact. This fact also challenged the notion that he was just beating up on a weak league. Neither of these were addressed: Caufield was smål.

yeah it's pretty clear that the only 'issue' is size and I'm really not worried. I'd love for him to be faster but I think his skating is fine. I've seen him actually turn the afterburners on at times and he's definitely not slow.

His shot's too lethal. I think he's the crown jewel of our organization right now. I have my reservations about KK, Suzuki and Poehling (though I'm still fairly bullish on them) but Caufield pretty much feels like a slam dunk. All he does is score by the truck load. Kid really could be a premier sniper in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad