Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gotta extend Caufield before the season starts cuz he's gonna score a shitton of goals next season. :laugh:

Agreed. If he plays in a loose style and with Suzuki all year, he's going to put up 60+ points and maybe 30 goals. That's going to earn him a Suzuki contract or worse... higher cause it's signed 2 years later with a better idea of the growing cap. Bergevin was smart to sign Suzuki when he did.

8 years at $7M gets it done IMO. I think it might appear high today but after he reaches ceiling level and a higher cap, it quickly becomes fair and a possible value contract. Get it done this summer.

There is a reason why Weber was moved and creating room for a long term deal with Caufield is one of them. Good timing with Byron, Drouin, Dadonov expiring.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hayton had OHL stats to be a player taken at the end of the first round and finally been took at 5th. Thats crazy.

This is why I don't like the general statement that Centers and D are worth more. Yeah, but if they are below average types, they are not worth more than a potential top line or top 6 winger.

Both Hayton and KK got drafted earlier than they should have. Why? Cause they were centers. Hayton was ranked 11th on Bob's list right before the draft.

Reactions: Kiss Under the Guy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see him as a 30-goal scorer and if he becomes more than that it would be great but let's see how he deals with more attention from opposing teams, scoring 40-50 goals is not an easy task.

I went to war with someone this past weekend on the golf course about Caufield's next contract. He said he's just as valuable as Suzuki and should get $8M AAV. I said, he's not putting up 30+ goals without Suzuki.

I then said who do you like more? Laine or Caufield. He said he would prefer Laine. I said what's the ideal contract for him? He said $8M but they tripped on his words. Yeah, why would you want me to pay Caufield $8M then? Makes no sense. He was an Islanders fan.

Right now the Habs are playing loose with a free style of structure. That's bad news if Caufield heads into this season with no extension and plays with Suzuki all year. Love Caufield but I hope he is not the greedy type to take us to max deals.

I say $7M for 8 years is very very fair. And that might be too much. Basically, I'm willing to overpay him now but to have better savings later. Why? Cause if you delay contracts (like we did with Subban), and there is a rising cap, it's going to burn you and the agent will give you fits.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I went to war with someone this past weekend on the golf course about Caufield's next contract. He said he's just as valuable as Suzuki and should get $8M AAV. I said, he's not putting up 30+ goals without Suzuki.

I then said who do you like more? Laine or Caufield. He said he would prefer Laine. I said what's the ideal contract for him? He said $8M but they tripped on his words. Yeah, why would you want me to pay Caufield $8M then? Makes no sense. He was an Islanders fan.

Right now the Habs are playing loose with a free style of structure. That's bad news if Caufield heads into this season with no extension and plays with Suzuki all year. Love Caufield but I hope he is not the greedy type to take us to max deals.

I say $7M for 8 years is very very fair. And that might be too much. Basically, I'm willing to overpay him now but to have better savings later. Why? Cause if you delay contracts (like we did with Subban), and there is a rising cap, it's going to burn you and the agent will give you fits.

I agree, but something tells me he's gonna be expensive. If he is, I hope Hughes is ready to play hardball with him.

I agree with your point about playing loose this year, it suits his style well.

They should just do what I do on NHL22. Bury him on the 4th line until Jan 1 then sign him long term for 4.5m :D

Obviously some of it is going to depend on how he does to start this year, but if he's pacing for anything around 30G ~60-70P I doubt he signs long term for 7m.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree, but something tells me he's gonna be expensive. If he is, I hope Hughes is ready to play hardball with him.

I agree with your point about playing loose this year, it suits his style well.

They should just do what I do on NHL22. Bury him on the 4th line until Jan 1 then sign him long term for 4.5m :D

Obviously some of it is going to depend on how he does to start this year, but if he's pacing for anything around 30G ~60-70P I doubt he signs long term for 7m.

This summer is the right time to get a deal done. Otherwise, he stands to have a good season with MSL next year and playing with Suzuki all season.

Regardless, I can't see it being higher than the Suzuki contract but you never know what the agent pushes for.

Timing of contracts needs to be managed carefully by HuGo. Cap is going to grow fast after the NHLPA pays off their balance and they already paid off a large chunk last season. They are ahead of schedule.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I see him as a 30-goal scorer and if he becomes more than that it would be great but let's see how he deals with more attention from opposing teams, scoring 40-50 goals is not an easy task.

Son of a gun,you got one of them pillows Gallo has been pimping on the radio for so long.:laugh:

download.jpg

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Me? I’d package him with one of our low 1st round picks to get another top 3

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Me? I’d package him with one of our low 1st round picks to get another top 3
I wouldn’t add a first on top of Caufield though but I would have to think long and hard about Caufield for second overall

Reactions: cphabs

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
By 30 goal scorer do you mean around 30 or the entire 30-39 range? I ask because he had 22 goals in 38 games last year playing on the only productive line for a last-place team which is a 47G pace. If anything I think he's only going to get less attention on a team that will likely be adding Wright and should have a much better version of Dvorak than what we had last year.

It wouldn't surprise me (nor would I be disappointed) if he ended up with 37-39 goals or something, but I think we should be expecting 30G as the floor, not the median.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
By 30 goal scorer do you mean around 30 or the entire 30-39 range? I ask because he had 22 goals in 38 games last year playing on the only productive line for a last-place team which is a 47G pace. If anything I think he's only going to get less attention on a team that will likely be adding Wright and should have a much better version of Dvorak than what we had last year.

It wouldn't surprise me (nor would I be disappointed) if he ended up with 37-39 goals or something, but I think we should be expecting 30G as the floor, not the median.
If he scores 40-50 it would be amazing, maybe he can but I will stay conservative with my prediction and go with 30-35 goals which would be really good.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
If he scores 40-50 it would be amazing, maybe he can but I will stay conservative with my prediction and go with 30-35 goals which would be really good.
I definitely get where you're coming from, but I just think 30 is what should be the floor rather than something to strive for with his talent level. I know some of his scoring last year was a bit of a hot streak, but he's been a prolific, dominant scorer at every level, showed flashes in the playoffs last year, and then instantly was able to get back to being a prolific scorer again once they replaced a historically bad coach. To me his time under Ducharme was the anomaly, not the second half of the year.

Based on what he's done so far and what we need him to become for the Habs to be competitive any time soon I think 30 would be just OK and rather disappointing. Closer to 35 would be solid, but to go from 22 in 38 to 30 in 82 would be a pretty big disappointment to me barring injuries or something unexpected like eg. he demonstrates high-end playmaking ability we haven't seen yet and he puts up 30G 45A or something like that.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Best pure goal scorer since Richer.
Imagine with modern day versions of Chelios, Robinson or even Svoboda and Desjardins skating it out for him... Hopefully some of our young D emerge as elite puck movers If the forwards want to start challenging for scoring titles.

Reactions: Tyson

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

22 in 37, 49 goals pace

Caufield's shot is too good to not get to 40. We need to sign him long term before he gets the kind of contract Debrincat will get.

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
I have to say I'd be a bit disappointed with 35 goals this year. That might be irrational since 35 is pretty awesome, but still...a bit disappointed.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad