Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
More than likely......I just think it should have been sooner....let's hope it's not too late, and the kid can be a spark for the PP and finally some team results.

We still need to be careful with expectations. Trevor Zegras ripped up the WJC like nobody else this year on the same team as Caufield and Zegras only had 7 points in 17 NHL games before getting sent back to the AHL.

Reactions: BLONG7

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
We still need to be careful with expectations. Trevor Zegras ripped up the WJC like nobody else this year on the same team as Caufield and Zegras only had 7 points in 17 NHL games before getting sent back to the AHL.
It’s hard to just step into a new team and produce, especially at the highest level. I think that’s why they want CC to get acclimated before unleashing him.

Reactions: jaffy27 and BLONG7

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It’s hard to just step into a new team and produce, especially at the highest level. I think that’s why they want CC to get acclimated before unleashing him.

This, plus the cap and the limited call ups. They wanted Allen to get a rest andxwasnd Prineau to be the backup. That meant no cap room for Caufield to be the emergency call up.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Anyone who likes this kud and wanrs him to succeed should ask to have him sent back to laval.

The issue with habs now will not be solved by a rookie winger. Send him there to play big minutes in all situations.

Reactions: OpenIceHit

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Anyone who likes this kud and wanrs him to succeed should ask to have him sent back to laval.

The issue with habs now will not be solved by a rookie winger. Send him there to play big minutes in all situations.
I just want to watch him play. Him and maybe Merrill are my only curiosities right now.

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto

Yup! I have no idea what he is doing in the stands watching this disaster of a team. He should be in Laval playing pro hockey.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Zxlime

Feb 26, 2012

When they assigned Caufield to the Taxi Squad, the Rocket was on a COVID-hiatus. During that span i believe the Rocket played 2 or 3 games, and now their next scheduled game is on May 4th which is in 9 days from now. On top of that, the Habs are on the West Coast. I'm guessing if Montreal had been playing home games they would have shuttled Caufield back and forth so that he could have played the Rockets games while attending the Habs practies.

So yeah, the Rocket's aren't playing for a while, so it comes down to decide between NHL practies or AHL practices for Caufield. I'd rather have him do the NHL practices.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
When they assigned Caufield to the Taxi Squad, the Rocket was on a COVID-hiatus. During that span i believe the Rocket played 2 or 3 games, and now their next scheduled game is on May 4th which is in 9 days from now. On top of that, the Habs are on the West Coast. I'm guessing if Montreal had been playing home games they would have shuttled Caufield back and forth so that he could have played the Rockets games while attending the Habs practies.

So yeah, the Rocket's aren't playing for a while, so it comes down to decide between NHL practies or AHL practices for Caufield. I'd rather have him do the NHL practices.

The Rocket have played 3 games during that span. I get that there were a bunch of balls in the air but it's not like the Habs were completely blindsided that those Rocket games could/would be scheduled. They would have been up to speed every step of the process to decide that.

The kid has barely got his feet wet in the AHL (two games!) and now some are looking at him as a possible saviour for this season. I'm not a fan of how it's been handled.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Rocket have played 3 games during that span. I get that there were a bunch of balls in the air but it's not like the Habs were completely blindsided that those Rocket games could/would be scheduled. They would have been up to speed every step of the process to decide that.

The kid has barely got his feet wet in the AHL (two games!) and now some are looking at him as a possible saviour for this season. I'm not a fan of how it's been handled.
Important to highlight the bolded...

3 AHL games.

And fans/media act liked he's missed 33 AHL games.

Relax people jeez.

It's not like he forgot to play hockey the last 2-3 weeks and it's also not like playing those 3 AHL games changes anything for his career path.

Not speaking to you specifically but man...does everything always have to be dramatized in Montreal?

Reactions: habsfan92

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Important to highlight the bolded...

3 AHL games.

And fans/media act liked he's missed 33 AHL games.

Relax people jeez.

It's not like he forgot to play hockey the last 2-3 weeks and it's also not like playing those 3 AHL games changes anything for his career path.

Not speaking to you specifically but man...does everything always have to be dramatized in Montreal?
Dumb that they didn't use him in Calgary though. I mean, just leave him in the AHL if you're not going to do that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hard not to get excited by this... the kid can score.

Yeeeup.

At the beginning of the year, after a so so world junior and so so college start, many wanted to trade him as part of a package for Laine or Dubois.

I wouldn't trade him straight up for either one.

Reactions: frapp10

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At the beginning of the year, after a so so world junior and so so college start, many wanted to trade him as part of a package for Laine or Dubois.

I wouldn't trade him straight up for either one.
At this point I wouldn't either. Esp considering he'll be making the minimum for the next three years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
His ceiling is higher than theirs, and he seems to have an almost Brendan Gallagher like attitude.
I don't know if anyone's ceiling is higher than Laine's. But Laine has some baggage and I'm not a fan of trading top prospects regardless of the situation. Esp since you get them cheap for years. As vets get older and make more money, you need to offset it with contracts that provide the value. Paying a guy 11 mil is way easier to manage when you've got a young kid producing at under a mil.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Gustafsson and Merrill were such huge upgrades on what we already had on D that their cap has made it impossible to dress Caufield.

Genius.
The Athletic had some speculation on this. There are two things in play, one is the cap space, the other is having four callups post trade deadline.

Bergevin sent Bryon and Romanov to the Taxi squad and recalled them just after TD (those plus XO were three of the four callups), why did Bergevin need to scrounge that extra cap space? Well, The Athletic article speculates MB was building up cap space to sign DeAngelo, then traded for Gus after that fell through.

If that part is true, just wow: Bergevin self owned his own cap space and his roster moves to try to sign DeAngelo.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Considering Laine's severe attitude problems, i would never package prospect like Bilbo Bustfield for him.

Reactions: habsfan92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce