Cole Caufield: Is this the year?

How Many Goals Will Caufield Score in 2023/24?

• Total voters

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It’s like people are watching games through a fun house mirror. Caufield was amazing on the forecheck last night and caused a few turnovers. He had and created several chances as well.But you get folks talking about how much he sucks. :laugh:

The goals are a huge disappointment. Totally get that. But people need to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Everything else about his game has improved.
It's easy to see, but you have to actually watch the games to fully get it.
We have a lot of fans who love to talk stats when it suits the agenda.....there have been many people recently talk CC and how he has changed his game in both ends of the ice................

The goals will be back I have no worries.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Not a fan of where he’s set up on the PP. I’d put him on the point. Give him more room to move.
The PP, and most of the top PPs in the league employ a 1-3-1 with 1 PP QB, who is usually a D
Maybe one of the teams uses a F there
But it's certainly not 'us' lol

The days of 2 D on a PP are going extinct, and even more so like I said : even a F on the 'point' has transformed into 'F at top of circle'

The problem right now is, Slaf took Suzuki old PP spot, which has helped, but now Suzuki spends a bit more time on the other side, and so Caufield remains a bit crowded over there

We must figure out the right system on the PP that can incorporate all of Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield together at sure-fire locations, but with newhook showing bumper skills, and Dach eventually coming back:

We're going to possibly, amazingly, have to abandon the 'overload PP1' we've JUST started to use this season and have been clamoring for a few years lol.., where you use PP1 for 1:30 mins
And we may very well have to construct 2 solid PP units because there's Roy as well who needs a spot

A lot of this has to be discussed by MSL and his staff, because we've got personel on the way too

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I don't think the current PP strategy which is "everyone just stands there and cycle the puck until Matheson loses it" is very helpful for anyone, not just Caufield

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Gord Miller on his weekly TSN690 segment just now said that his understanding is that Caufield will be playing for the US at the upcoming World Championships.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Gord Miller on his weekly TSN690 segment just now said that his understanding is that Caufield will be playing for the US at the upcoming World Championships.
Yeah really think a couple of our boys will do this this year, they'll all go together so it won't be lonely lol
And it's the best time to do it too, as we're playoff bound the next few seasons

Reactions: sheed36

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It’s like people are watching games through a fun house mirror. Caufield was amazing on the forecheck last night and caused a few turnovers. He had and created several chances as well.But you get folks talking about how much he sucks. :laugh:

The goals are a huge disappointment. Totally get that. But people need to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Everything else about his game has improved.
MSL wanted him to become a more versatile player because he knew that the rest of the league would defend him differently and it would allow him to contribute when the goal-scoring isn't there.

Reactions: Paddyjack and Tyson

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I didn't watch the game, so I didn't see this,

Apologies for the annoying twitter group, but it's the only one I found of it I can share.

Unless

Nice didn't know Instagram worked, but this is much less annoying than the other one

• Love
Reactions: Tyson

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Caufield clearly hasn’t recovered 100% from the shoulder surgery. His release isn’t as quick, hard, or accurate as it was prior.

The question now to me is whether he can get back to that level. I think Cole’s been to looking to pass more because he’s aware of the issue, and Suzuki has developed a renewed confidence in his shot because they’ve had no choice but to rely on him as a shooter.

The funny thing is whatever the issue is, it’s probably made them all better players as a result.
If he plays for the US in the world championship will that change your opinion?

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I dunno. He was a defensive black hole last year and he's been perfectly OK at it now on our primary matchup line, and he'd never been above 22 assists at any competitive level of play before this year and will probably finish with 40+ assists and ~62 to 65 points while looking like a more creative passer to the eye test and becoming a shiftier & more effective forechecker. I'm not jumping for joy about this season or anything, but Caufield hitting low-mid 60s point totals on a bottom five team while shooting 7.4% is just not something I really feel worried about.

This year has shown that he can turn bottom quintile defensive play and passing into perfectly average NHL tools. I don't think it's accepting mediocrity to look at those bright spots and say it bodes well for the future when he's 8th in the league in shots and 431st in the NHL in shooting percentage coming off a shoulder surgery.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Well, he must feel good physically if he has expressed the desire to be there.
Yup but it remains to be seen if he actually does end up playing there but I'd say that Miller is very plugged in regarding ongoing NHL stuff behind the scenes so it seems he's heard this to mention it on the radio. Guess we'll see soon enough.

For anyone who wants to take a listen here's a link to the Miller TSN690 audio from a bit earlier. The World Championship talk starts at around 5:50 in regarding if Crosby might go. Asked about any potential Habs players attending about 7 minutes in where he made his Caufield comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If he plays for the US in the world championship will that change your opinion?

Time will tell if he goes to play at the WC’s, and even if he did that’s not to say that he doesn’t have a nagging minor thing that isn’t critical and can be addressed in the off-season.

They aren’t going to come out and say anything , it’s not good for the team or him as a player. If teams know his shooting is impaired they’d shift their focus to Suzuki.

I’d expect some transparency next season during training camp if they ask about his summer regimen, they made pipe up if they feel it’s addressed now.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
A reason Caufield will go to the World Championships is that Guerin who is the GM of the US team said don't skip it if you want to be a part of the 4 Nations or the Olympics.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Time will tell if he goes to play at the WC’s, and even if he did that’s not to say that he doesn’t have a nagging minor thing that isn’t critical and can be addressed in the off-season.

They aren’t going to come out and say anything , it’s not good for the team or him as a player. If teams know his shooting is impaired they’d shift their focus to Suzuki.

I’d expect some transparency next season during training camp if they ask about his summer regimen, they made pipe up if they feel it’s addressed now.
Coming back from surgery, it takes time for the shoulder to feel as normal as it was before the surgery so his shot doesn’t have the same velocity and precision right now, doesn’t mean it’s injury.

I find kinda crazy people are asking why his shot isn’t like it was and why it’s a little more difficult for him this year goal wise as if he would come back couple of months after and be 100% himself that soon. Playing the WC could be beneficial to get more playing time and find his shot back.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Coming back from surgery, it takes time for the shoulder to feel as normal as it was before the surgery so his shot doesn’t have the same velocity and precision right now, doesn’t mean it’s injury.

I find kinda crazy people are asking why his shot isn’t like it was and why it’s a little more difficult for him this year goal wise as if he would come back couple of months after and be 100% himself that soon. Playing the WC could be beneficial to get more playing time and find his shot back.

Yeah that’s exactly what I’m getting at.

He hasn’t forgot how to play hockey, or how to shoot. If anything he’s playing the best hockey he’s ever played, but you can tell something is off with his shot this year. The obvious conclusion to draw is that he isn’t 100% from the surgery yet, whether it’s something minor that needs to be cleaned up or he needs some form of training in the offseason to adjust.. time will tell.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It'll get better

But the guaranteed 40g seasons don't look great right now
Nobody guaranteed anything. But I definitely believed it.

And it’s even harder to believe he’s not going to do it based on his shot volume. He should already be at 40 just based on that. 7 percent is almost impossibly bad.

Last edited:

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Sniper goes hot and cold like goaltenders, it happens to nearly everyone of them. They're needed so your option are to wish or to pray. You need a great collection, build competition within and try to play your hotter hands above your colder hands.

its the Stephane Richer law.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad