Cole Caufield: Is this the year?

How Many Goals Will Caufield Score in 2023/24?

• Total voters

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I thought 30 was his basement. :laugh:

Honestly, him being at 20 is shocking. 320 shots and you don't get 30 goals out of it? Insane.
His shot % has been awful..............could the surgery had some effect??

Look for a big rebound year next year for sure....
He has played a much better all around 200ft type of game....and he has shown he can pass the puck.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Of course there is more there. But what we have to consider is Caufield is not a 40+ goal guy each and every season. There will be some seasons he gets 20+, some 30+, and some 40+.

I'd be curious to see his season averages once he is 30.
I do think, that as Slaf develops and gets more attention, you will see CC snipe more chances....no way his shooting percentage stays so low, like this year...

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I do think, that as Slaf develops and gets more attention, you will see CC snipe more chances....no way his shooting percentage stays so low, like this year...
His % is out of wack due in part to his shoulder injury that he may still be recovering from. he's getting into position, but miss the mark. He's over compensating or over thinking his shot. I'm not sure he stays with Suzuki and Slaf long term, he may benefit from playing with Dach on the 2nd line to balance the scoring and have him away from top pairing D on the other side. Regarless...this season shouldn't be seen anthing other then a transition year for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yeah, I think this is one of the low goal total seasons he will have. Hopefully when our top 9 and PP units are better, he is able to capitalize more. I'm a firm believer that surrounding talent matters.

Caufield is the type that burns you in open space and right now, he's not getting much of it. He's snake bit a little right now, and I'm sure he shake it off over time.

Reactions: BLONG7

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ah fair enough. I'm also starving for an exciting player that can put 100+pts per season. i'm just not judging Cole season as harshly as some. He's far from perfect... there are so many moment that I wish he was stronger so he could win more physical battle, but he's still on track to be a dam good player for this team. Lets see how he fair next season. to me that will be a more indicative test.
The fact is our top three guys have all matched or surpassed their totals of last season with 12 games remaining.
I don't want to hear about more games played because I only care about totals. Just like for me last season only totals counted.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

He has played a much better all around 200ft type of game....and he has shown he can pass the puck.

well his shot % tanked hard AFTER the all-star break so it's kinda weird (3% since the break). Technically the surgery should have less of an effect with time, so he could be injured again or it caught up to him in some weird way

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
well his shot % tanked hard AFTER the all-star break so it's kinda weird (3% since the break). Technically the surgery should have less of an effect with time, so he could be injured again or it caught up to him in some weird way
I think Matheson being unable to feed the right boards on the pp and chosing to shoot himself half the time makes for fewer “free” quality shooting chances and less time/space for Caufield. I don’t remember many times where an opportunity to shoot was created for him instead of him having to dangle for a shooting lane.

Do we know how his pp vs 5v5 shooting percentage compare to his usual average? Can’t wait for Mailloux and Hutson to give the pp qb a go.

Reactions: Rapala

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I think Matheson being unable to feed the right boards on the pp and chosing to shoot himself half the time makes for fewer “free” quality shooting chances and less time/space for Caufield. I don’t remember many times where an opportunity to shoot was created for him instead of him having to dangle for a shooting lane.

Do we know how his pp vs 5v5 shooting percentage compare to his usual average? Can’t wait for Mailloux and Hutson to give the pp qb a go.
One thing I noticed, and i'm not sure if this has always been the case but on the PP, the player being isolated is Slaf. Matheson, Suziki and CC all work on the same side of the ice. The bumber (Manahan and Newhook) also tend to play closer to that side (may just be a fonction of Suzuki being there more tho.... so all that to say, Cole has less space/time to get open and shot on the PP. rarely one timer opportunities. So it is either a forced shot or a pass

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One thing I noticed, and i'm not sure if this has always been the case but on the PP, the player being isolated is Slaf. Matheson, Suziki and CC all work on the same side of the ice. The bumber (Manahan and Newhook) also tend to play closer to that side (may just be a fonction of Suzuki being there more tho.... so all that to say, Cole has less space/time to get open and shot on the PP. rarely one timer opportunities. So it is either a forced shot or a pass
Indeed I bring it up every chance I get. The one player on our PP who needs the most space to work with is Cole Caufield.
He and Matheson are the players defenders are most likely going to go after the hardest.
In the first case they want Caufield pinched. In the second they feel they can force a mishandle.
The guys we have who can best deal with tight spaces are Suzuki and Slaf both players can burn you if you get too aggressive with them.
Suzuki and Caufield interchanging on that left side hasn't worked in months and yet they keep going back to it.
Suzuki and Slaf however are bigger bodies and able to go to the net and play down low when they interchange.
Both possess very good shots and compliment each other Both are very good at creating lanes for the cross crease.
Who wouldn't want to set upon the side that CLEARLY gives you more options The Montreal Canadiens and a Burrow's run PP that is who.
I will never talk about this anymore except to gloat when they do it more often and we start scoring on our PP again. :sarcasm:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In Paciorettys time, Crosby would've led the league with his current, 35 years old, pace. Either he got better with 10 years of hockey or the league isn't the same and making those asinine parallels is worth nothing.

Charlie Coyle has as many points as Caufield.
Zach Hyman has 14 more points than Caufield.
36 YO Kopitar has 9 more points than Caufield.
Evan Bouchard has 17 more points than Caufield.
Gustav Nyquist has 8 more points than Caufield.
40 years old Pavelski has 4 more points than Caufield.
38 years old Giroux has 3 more points than Caufield.
36 YO Zuccarello has 1 more point than Caufield, while playing 9 less games and having the exact same %.
Gaudreau has 3 less points than Caufield.
Yegor Sharangovich has 3 less points than Caufield.
The corpes of Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn have outproduced Caufield.

We need to stop sugarcoating every thing in Habs land, it's a bad season and were not "ungrateful" or wtv WTK is trying to say. We need more from him and hopefully it's on the shoulder injuries, until then, we just have to hope he bounces back next year, otherwise he's just another Gaudreau.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
In Paciorettys time, Crosby would've led the league with his current, 35 years old, pace. Either he got better with 10 years of hockey or the league isn't the same and making those asinine parallels is worth nothing.

36 YO Zuccarello has 1 more point than Caufield, while playing 9 less games and having the exact same %.

We need to stop sugarcoating every thing in Habs land, it's a bad season and were not "ungrateful" or wtv WTK is trying to say. We need more from him and hopefully it's on the shoulder injuries, until then, we just have to hope he bounces back next year, otherwise he's just another Gaudreau.
Indeed. 20 goals and 60 points in 2024 is not as valuable as 10 years ago. But we Habs fan barely have had any 60 points players in the last decade so we don't notice the trend as much and still get excited by such a total. Some teams have players with twice as many points ffs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I don't know man. Your guess is as good as mine. It's entirely possible that the surgery meant he lost some zip on his shot. Even then though, he still should've had more goals. I really thought he was almost certain to do 40 goals and I was way, way wrong. But on the plus side, the shots are there and the underlying numbers are there. So I think it's a fluke.

Totally agree with you on the rest of his game. He's young and took a nice step forward on that front. From that perspective it's overwhelmingly positive.

So... his season is a disappointment and a success. Both things can be true at the same time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, but again... he seemed to bounce back big time for about 15 or so games. Then he seemed to get hurt and went really cold. So injuries could be a factor.

Honestly though, he's been playing pretty well for a while now and still isn't getting rewarded. It's really strange.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

oh so you think Caufield SUCKS?!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

He has scored fewer goals, but got more assists, and has become a better 200ft player, so no sugar coating here, he just didn't score as much as we hoped. He did, become a better overall player, so call it what you will.

Pretty sure most of our fan base could care less about those other clowns...............not sure if any of them are on a bottom feeder half way through a rebuild.....

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He has scored fewer goals, but got more assists, and has become a better 200ft player, so no sugar coating here, he just didn't score as much as we hoped. He did, become a better overall player, so call it what you will.

Pretty sure most of our fan base could care less about those other clowns...............not sure if any of them are on a bottom feeder half way through a rebuild.....
No, he's not a better player than he was last year, matter of fact, he is a good bit worse. This post is just copium. He's not "a better 200 ft player" or a better passer, he's just a worse shooter.

Reactions: ORRFForever

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No, he's not a better player than he was last year, matter of fact, he is a good bit worse. This post is just copium. He's not "a better 200 ft player" or a better passer, he's just a worse shooter.
He has more points, and his coach, yes his coach disagrees with you. Do you watch the games?
As mentioned his shooting and scoring is not there.........................the rest is.

Caufield is the least of our worries....
Cheers....

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He has more points, and his coach, yes his coach disagrees with you. Do you watch the games?
As mentioned his shooting and scoring is not there.........................the rest is.

Cheers....
A sane point of view...Thank you

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
yeah coaches not named Torts notoriously tell it how it is while talking to the media :sarcasm:

you ask him how Colin White is doing and he'll tell you he's working hard and he's doing good but in the back of his mind he's asking himself the same thing as we all are; "wait is colin still in the lineup?"

you can find a better argument than that

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

I totally agree with this post , that said its not like i'm worried about caufield.

But scoring is so high right now a 60-70 point player is not even something to gloat about anymore

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I totally agree with this post , that said its not like i'm worried about caufield.

But scoring is so high right now a 60-70 point player is not even something to gloat about anymore
1 goal in his last 17 games.fair to say that he was signed for more than that. 20 on the season and how many were in OT?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Cheers....
What is MSL gonna say? I suck at my job, I made Cole a worse player?

Come on.

Hes also down on his overall production, not only on goals.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
1 goal in his last 17 games.fair to say that he was signed for more than that. 20 on the season and how many were in OT?
Would you rather him score 40 and us be in the playoffs? Its a great time for Caufield to struggle , we are rebuilding , ill start panicking if the team is decent and he isn't pulling his weight. If the contract ever prevents us from winning than ill worry

Reactions: rik schau

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Would you rather him score 40 and us be in the playoffs? Its a great time for Caufield to struggle , we are rebuilding , ill start panicking if the team is decent and he isint pulling his weight
Yes, as I said Im giving him next years first few weeks to judge him. The injury is still a good excuse. In october 2024 it wont be.

Theres no reasons to lie and act like hes a better player or has a better season this year.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad