Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I am stoked with this pick even if he is another smurf on the team. I would not have been unhappy with Krebs there but Cole was a shock.
Cole's coach last season did a little analysis of every play in the offensive zone. Since his players played so much together they knew to drop pucks in zones expecting players to understand where that puck would be dropped. Cole was number one in finding that zone. It's an impressive trait because it shows he has that great hockey sense.
He's small but not soft. And with his heavy shot his game will translate well in the show. He will be a first line all star type player and many teams will be kicking themselves.
here locally the Coyotes moved up to take a Swedish D when they desperately need scoring. But happy my Habs were smart and stood their ground despite the Wild's offer to move up.
What was the wilds offer out of curiosity?

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Gallagher was 19? He could squeeze his way in but has to do it ahead of Suzuki imo
he was 19 when he almost cracked the club at training camp then he spent the year in in the chl before he spent a few games in the ahl the. was called up to never look back.. he was one of those lefevbre era success lolll (the less you played under Lefevre the more chance you had to make the NHL lol)

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I read that Caufield was practicing with the Wisconsin players today, I'm not sure why though as it seems really early. It's likely just informal as the NCAA has strict rules like coaches can't be there until a certain date, so they are called captains practices.
Captains practices, didn't know that. Thanks for the input.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Cole is really going to have to think long and hard to try and figure out how to make the NHL this year. He looks like he wants it but he may require high skilled forwards to play with that montreal may or may not have. He is one heck of a player ( although a bit weak physically right now )and montreal NEEDS to get someone this season via trade or in the 2020 draft at his skill level ( like aho... Sigh ) in order to see cole realize his potential. Do you guys think kotka has it in him realistically?

To me, in dev camp, cole was playing the college game hes used to playing, against weaker defense/With high skilled teammates, and thats why he couldnt produce better scoring chances even though he did show some skills with the puck and a couple end of the game shootout goals ( showed a great quick release with soft hands, mackinnon, mcdavid lite ).

Heres to hoping these next 12 months bring bergevin and the canadiens some more good fortune or there may be a business decision made.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Kid is going to score lots of NHL goals, his shot is elite. Very accurate and gets it off extremely quickly. Pure goal scorer.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If he develops as I hope he will may become a sniper version of Marchand minus the dirty play.....and the nose. Marchand is listed at 5'9" but that is b.s. as you can clearly see in pictures beside Gallagher that he is at least an inch shorter.

download (1).jpeg

Gallagher's head is tilted down a little but you can clearly see the difference in shoulder height.

If Cole can continue to build on his lower body and core there is no reason that he shouldn't be able to find success.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Cole is really going to have to think long and hard to try and figure out how to make the NHL this year. He looks like he wants it but he may require high skilled forwards to play with that montreal may or may not have. He is one heck of a player ( although a bit weak physically right now )and montreal NEEDS to get someone this season via trade or in the 2020 draft at his skill level ( like aho... Sigh ) in order to see cole realize his potential. Do you guys think kotka has it in him realistically?

To me, in dev camp, cole was playing the college game hes used to playing, against weaker defense/With high skilled teammates, and thats why he couldnt produce better scoring chances even though he did show some skills with the puck and a couple end of the game shootout goals ( showed a great quick release with soft hands, mackinnon, mcdavid lite ).

Heres to hoping these next 12 months bring bergevin and the canadiens some more good fortune or there may be a business decision made.
Not just a skilled forward but he will need a pass-first skilled forward

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't think so, would be a surprise. Not impossible. Habs usually let players go to NCAA cause they've been huge fans of usa hockey systems/players the last couple of years. He's supposed to go to Wisconsin iirc and that's probably where he'll go.

Cole isn't committed to any leagues yet and he's said he's gonna work as hard as he can to make the team. But even if he's good enough to make it on the roster, he won't go further than the 9 game stint imo.
The problem is that if he goes to training camp he cant play in Wisconsin so if he has a 9 stint and doesnt stick he can only go to the soo or Laval afaik

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Well, he appears to be able to do that at the level he’s at. Just a fan here, but 80% of the goals I’ve seen him score involved making room for himself. Not perfect passes and just shooting. Just my .02. Be good brother!
I’m not sure you understand the concept of ‘driving the play’. Just my .02.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I disagree. He can drive the play.
I don't see it especially at the next level
The things that he does well relate to his ability to shoot: find time and space stealthily, receive a pass (even a difficult one), quickly find balance to shoot (shift his weight), and shoot quickly and precisely. These qualities don't necessarily map to driving the play, except in a give-and-go scenario. As soon as he has the puck, the stealthy aspect becomes infeasible: defenders focus on the puck carrier.

None of which detracts from his elite abilities listed above.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
If he develops as I hope he will may become a sniper version of Marchand minus the dirty play.....and the nose. Marchand is listed at 5'9" but that is b.s. as you can clearly see in pictures beside Gallagher that he is at least an inch shorter.

View attachment 243635

Gallagher's head is tilted down a little but you can clearly see the difference in shoulder height.

If Cole can continue to build on his lower body and core there is no reason that he shouldn't be able to find success.

Might want to get a refresher:

Types of Perspective Drawings Explained With Illustrations

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I disagree. He can drive the play.

Regardless of if he does or not. Montreal is set to have two centers in their top 6 for years to come that will compliment him well.

Kotkaniemi is a pass first type of guy, gets in the zone, makes sick passes to open shooters. How many times this year did we see Lehkonen or Armia fluke on a perfect KK pass? My gut says Caufield likely has a much better release for those slick passes.

Poehling on the other hand gets in the zone and grits in the hard areas with a solid vision for passes, meaning Caufield will get the puck delivered perfectly on his stick more often than not.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Regardless of if he does or not. Montreal is set to have two centers in their top 6 for years to come that will compliment him well.

Kotkaniemi is a pass first type of guy, gets in the zone, makes sick passes to open shooters. How many times this year did we see Lehkonen or Armia fluke on a perfect KK pass? My gut says Caufield likely has a much better release for those slick passes.

Poehling on the other hand gets in the zone and grits in the hard areas with a solid vision for passes, meaning Caufield will get the puck delivered perfectly on his stick more often than not.
Who’s this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad