Confirmed with Link: Cole Cassels will not receive a qualifying offer

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Confirmed by Rick Dhaliwal:

Discuss?

What new players? Gaudette is the only C in the system potentially in Utica this year.

AHL vet rule makes it pointless to keep guys like Cassels around for too long, even on AHL contracts. He’s not some AHL star and he has no NHL potential so he gets phased out.

Better off giving his spot to someone younger.

Cassels is not considered an AHL veteran.

Madden is a much better prospect

In 2018.

2015 Cassels was a better prospect than 2018 Madden by a country mile.

Cassels wasn't going to make it as a regular NHLer but I'm not sure this is the best idea.

Utica has been painfully thin at center for the past couple years and moving out a non-veteran reliable two-way center - at the point where he finally became an effective player at that level after investing 5 years in him - seems a bit iffy.

In Cassels' last 54 games last year he was 9-19-28 while carrying pretty heavy defensive responsibilities. If we can replace him, great, but picking up a guy to fill that role who won't qualify as an AHL veteran won't be as easy as some here are claiming.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I have a feeling it's a bit of both. Decisions on players are made on multiple levels... talent/age/fit/contract etc.

Of course. I am just saying that not qualifying a pick from 5 drafts ago doesn't really mean anything about the strength of your system in and of itself. We didn't qualify Jordan Schroeder in 2014 and it didn't exactly mean our prospect pool then was terrific. It just meant that his ELC had expired and we wanted new blood, so it is with Cassels.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I definitely get not qualifying him, but he might be worth keeping around on an AHL deal as a depth player, at least until he hits the veteran threshold.

Reactions: PM and MS

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Disappointed but definitely understandable.

I had some hope for the kid back in the day.

Seemed like he was full of piss and vinegar and would be a good bottom 6 center for us one day.

Best wishes. :/

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What new players? Gaudette is the only C in the system potentially in Utica this year.

In 2018.

Cassels wasn't going to make it as a regular NHLer but I'm not sure this is the best idea.

Utica has been painfully thin at center for the past couple years and moving out a non-veteran reliable two-way center - at the point where he finally became an effective player at that level after investing 5 years in him - seems a bit iffy.

In Cassels' last 54 games last year he was 9-19-28 while carrying pretty heavy defensive responsibilities. If we can replace him, great, but picking up a guy to fill that role who won't qualify as an AHL veteran won't be as easy as some here are claiming.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Unless they are already planning to have Gaudette in the AHL all season and/or Motte, I am not really seeing the "odd man out" angle. The only C we drafted was Madden and he's committed to Northeastern. Who are these new centres who are pushing Cassels out?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

In 2018.

Yeah, I know he's not a vet until the season after next I believe. I'd just rather have the Canucks/Comets give a lesser experienced player a shot in his spot or sign a better AHL C who can actually produce.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I remember when people said this was going to be our guy to shutdown McDavid. The perfect example of how fans overrate their own prospects, and why you shouldn't overrate the team's prospect pool because of shiny new draftees.

I think the shine of the 2017 draft is about to wear off once Lind and Gadjovich go pro. 2016 is already an abomination only 2 years later, partly from the lack of picks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I know he's not a vet until the season after next I believe. I'd just rather have the Canucks/Comets give a lesser experienced player a shot in his spot or sign a better AHL C who can actually produce.

Lesser-experienced players aren't available via UFA (they're all still on ELCs) and there is nobody new joining the system other than Gaudette. What you're saying sounds good in theory but isn't really how it works in practice.

Center in Utica was a complete mess last year with ECHL guys on short-term deals forced to carry huge loads.

Cassels' first two pro years were a disaster and he isn't going to be an NHL regular. But he righted the ship last year and became a good AHL player who scored at a 40-45 point pace for the back portion of the season while playing well defensively. Given the void at center throughout the system, cutting loose this player at this point is an odd decision. And replacing his contribution without signing an AHL veteran will be difficult.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think the shine of the 2017 draft is about to wear off once Lind and Gadjovich go pro. 2016 is already an abomination only 2 years later, partly from the lack of picks.

Oh for sure. 2016 was an awful draft year for the Canucks. 2017 I still think will be a decent one in the long run, but I think people are really overhyping guys like Lind, Gadjovich, and even Rathbone and Palmu.

With Lind going to the AHL this year it’ll be a good test to see just how good of a prospect he is. And I think it’ll be an eye opener for some when he doesn’t tear up the league.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
What a beast he was in the CHL, especially in the playoffs against McDavid.

Shows you how important skating is. He had so much heart and will, but just not gifted with the physically . I hope he makes a career of hockey one way or another.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Right from the start in Utica, Cassels showed very poorly. Became obvious early that he lacked the speed and talent to compete at the pro level. People made endless excuses for his poor showing and clung to hope way beyond anything that was reasonable.

That said, Cassels was a very game player. Always gave a very good effort and not afraid to get his nose dirty. Was decently effective in some parts of last year but even then was never a candidate to be moved up.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Cole Cassels is exactly why a lot of us in Utica don't buy into the prospect hype that comes with so many Canucks draft picks until we see them play with our own eyes. Too many of them have not lived up to the hype.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would have thought we would have better luck with Cassels than Gagners...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What a beast he was in the CHL, especially in the playoffs against McDavid.

Shows you how important skating is. He had so much heart and will, but just not gifted with the physically . I hope he makes a career of hockey one way or another.

Which makes it strange to me how the son of a former NHLer has such poor skating. I would have figured that Andrew would have paid for a skating instructor when Cole was 14/15 and was looking to the CHL route. Strength can come with time, but skating is something that should have been addressed sooner. Unless he physically unable to due to genetics, like the short limbs on Hodgson, isn't able to develop much.

At a minimum, you'd think he would be average in skating.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Too bad, that injury early on really set him back but he could just never get his skating up to par. Thought he had a bit of a breakthrough last season but not enough obviously.

The good news is that this just means our prospect pool is that much stronger, that much more competitive. Sets the bar and sends a notice to everyone in the org.

Agreed. Too bad, there was a lot to like in his game.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
wow this proves the ahl is a tougher and better league than the nhl

no way mcdavid can survive down there

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Should have traded him a couple seasons ago. But this management group has no clue on asset management or how to evaluate talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad