Confirmed with Link: Cole Cassels will not receive a qualifying offer

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Cole Cassels is exactly why a lot of us in Utica don't buy into the prospect hype that comes with so many Canucks draft picks until we see them play with our own eyes. Too many of them have not lived up to the hype.

Who other than Cassels is an example of this?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Who other than Cassels is an example of this?
Just going off the top of my head. The first year that the Comets were in Utica and I started following this site Frankie Corrado and Nick Jensen were being hyped. After that Hunter Shinkaruk and to a lesser extent Brendan Gaunce. Then came Jordan Subban and Cole Cassels. This is just the draft picks that managed to make it to the AHL level.

It's easy to fall in love with these kids that put up big numbers in juniors but it is a big adjustment when playing against bigger, older and faster players at this level. Some succed and many do not.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Too bad he never really amounted to anything. He'll always have that McDavid "shutdown" merit badge to remember though. Kind of an example of why skating isn't always the easiest thing to improve, and why you can't always just overlook it in the draft...even when a guy looks plenty serviceable at the Junior level.

Wonder if he'll catch on somewhere in a continued AHL depth/filler role, or if he'll be one of the guys that heads to Europe and carves out something there for a while.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Shinkaruk, Subban, Cederholm, Williamson, Liberati?
Just going off the top of my head. The first year that the Comets were in Utica and I started following this site Frankie Corrado and Nick Jensen were being hyped. After that Hunter Shinkaruk and to a lesser extent Brendan Gaunce. Then came Jordan Subban and Cole Cassels.
OK, there was absolutely no one hyping up Williamson or Liberati (who never received contracts) nor Cederholm (who was constantly cited as a signing which never made sense).

Shinkaruk and Subban were good AHL players who showed plenty of promise. Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Jensen were first-rounders – find me a North American sports team who isn't excited to see what their first-rounders can do. The idea that that has anything to do with "this fanbase" is nonsensical. Also, Gaunce was another good AHL player who has graduated to the NHL.

Frank Corrado was "hyped" (if you can call it that... he wasn't actually) because he appeared to be NHL ready very early on (by playing there competently), so the assumption was that he would be a good AHL player who would eventually make it to the show. No one expected him to win Norris Trophies.

People were excited by Cassels because of the strong finish to his junior career. Again, find me a fanbase who wouldn't be excited to see what he can do. The "hype" pretty much stopped the moment he turned pro.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What new players? Gaudette is the only C in the system potentially in Utica this year.

Cassels is not considered an AHL veteran.

In 2018.

2015 Cassels was a better prospect than 2018 Madden by a country mile.

Cassels wasn't going to make it as a regular NHLer but I'm not sure this is the best idea.

Utica has been painfully thin at center for the past couple years and moving out a non-veteran reliable two-way center - at the point where he finally became an effective player at that level after investing 5 years in him - seems a bit iffy.

In Cassels' last 54 games last year he was 9-19-28 while carrying pretty heavy defensive responsibilities. If we can replace him, great, but picking up a guy to fill that role who won't qualify as an AHL veteran won't be as easy as some here are claiming.

The truth spoken here resounds in volumes. I have said he could be replaced, but not until that actually transpired. He could hold down the fort on the 4th line instead of Hamilton or at least serve as the 5th center in reserve. We all know full well the guy in that position will get plenty of games throughout the season. As I have already posted in the Utica thread, the Chaput trade did nothing for the Comets other than switch out a vet center for one who isn't a vet. Everything else about them 2 is a wash. I'm also not sure Benning didn't acquire Kero for the Canucks and not the Comets. Every trade I can think of since Henning left 3 years ago has moved a Comet and acquired a Canuck with no Comet replacement coming back. This would start year 4 on the same note. That may sound paranoid but past practice supports my feeling.

As of now the centers definitely in house are Darcy and X, X, X, and X. Darcy best fit is #3. Lots of posters seem to think they know who will be here, but no one can verify any of those lists until Benning has had the summer to wheel and deal and the Canucks break camp in October. Right now the best options for the 4 remaining Xs are Kero and Motte. That leaves the same 2 they have been short for 3 straight years. Either centers are cut from Vancouver or some serious shopping for a #1 and one more is still a necessity. Kero is the same player as Chaput and that makes him a solid #2 and a stretch for #1. Chaput's best work here was actually from the #2 slot. He just never was the puck dealing forward that the first line talents needed. Goldobin and Boucher did more offensively as a twosome than they did depending upon Chaput's skill set. No #1 center here since O'Reilly left after the 2015 playoffs. He led that team in points in both the regular season and the playoffs.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Remember when he shut down Mc David in the OHL Plays and that was going to happen for 10 to 15 years in the NHL in Legendary Playoff battles.

well it was fun to dream about it

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Of course. I am just saying that not qualifying a pick from 5 drafts ago doesn't really mean anything about the strength of your system in and of itself. We didn't qualify Jordan Schroeder in 2014 and it didn't exactly mean our prospect pool then was terrific. It just meant that his ELC had expired and we wanted new blood, so it is with Cassels.

The problem is there are no readily available centers in the Canucks depth pool. Unless you believe the exalted one is going to act differently than he has in the last 3 seasons in acquiring centers to fill up the void.

All you have to do to dissuade me is identify the guy that can be called "the new blood."

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
He won’t be too hard to replace. Put it that way.

He certainly isn't tough to replace on the Canucks, not having played for them nor being anywhere close to having earned a callup.

Otoh, as of right now the Comets have two centres (real centres as opposed to wingers who still show center in their listing) those being Kero and Darcy. Cassels would not be a veteran under AHL rules so he wouldn't limit what other skaters can dress in Utica.

He's replaceable in Utica, but he wouldn't have been without value there.

I have no concerns about not having him in the Vancouver prospect pipeline, but do wonder if the Comets will actually take some action to replace him.

Madden is a much better prospect

This will be a popular impression but it gave me a couple of sober thoughts.

Cassels was a 3rd round draft pick in 2013 after scoring 43 pts in 64 games and going +7 for the Oshawa Generals of the OHL.

Madden was a 3rd round draft pick in 2018 after scoring 34 pts in 50 games and going -5 in the USHL. He's also listed on hockeydb as weighing 152 lb.

When drafted Cassels was a little less than average age to be draft-eligible for the first time. Madden is older than the average 1st time draft eligible prospect.

Madden is young so he has more potential-but he most certainly isn't at this stage such a good prospect that we can count on him for the future, nor be happy getting rid of a prospect because we've got Madden in the pipeline. Nor is it clear that he is better as a prospect than Cassels was five years ago and he probably isn't as good a prospect as Cassels appeared to be three years ago.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah, I know he's not a vet until the season after next I believe. I'd just rather have the Canucks/Comets give a lesser experienced player a shot in his spot or sign a better AHL C who can actually produce.

There is no "lesser experienced player" in the whole organization from top to bottom! Why do I continue to see this concept floated out here? I know you guys know who is in the system, I think?

Are you suggesting Gaudeete will be here? You know any top level Canuck signed guy who ends up in Utica will be gone the second there is an injury up top. There are too many real prospects coming in here for the first time. They happen to be wings and not one center. They must have talented centers to work with them. They are not here. Cassels could at least do a decent job on the 4th line or serve as that guy in the wings who plays when you need him. He wasn't incompetent defensively. He was just a very poor offensive center.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Cole Cassels is exactly why a lot of us in Utica don't buy into the prospect hype that comes with so many Canucks draft picks until we see them play with our own eyes. Too many of them have not lived up to the hype.

Touche, again.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Just going off the top of my head. The first year that the Comets were in Utica and I started following this site Frankie Corrado and Nick Jensen were being hyped. After that Hunter Shinkaruk and to a lesser extent Brendan Gaunce. Then came Jordan Subban and Cole Cassels. This is just the draft picks that managed to make it to the AHL level.

It's easy to fall in love with these kids that put up big numbers in juniors but it is a big adjustment when playing against bigger, older and faster players at this level. Some succed and many do not.

All of those players were good AHL players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thought there was chance he'd be qualified since the Canucks are thin at center, but after three years in Utica the improvement just wasn't apparent.

Just goes to show how little stock you can put in junior hockey stats and the Memorial Cup in particular. Cole Cassels, Tobias Lindberg and Michael Dal Colle were all big time players on that Oshawa team that shut down McDavid and the high-scoring Erie Otters to win the Memorial Cup....and looks like like none of them will make any kind of mark on the NHL.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Everybody thought he would make the nhl at that time

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
OK, there was absolutely no one hyping up Williamson or Liberati (who never received contracts) nor Cederholm (who was constantly cited as a signing which never made sense).

Shinkaruk and Subban were good AHL players who showed plenty of promise. Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Jensen were first-rounders – find me a North American sports team who isn't excited to see what their first-rounders can do. The idea that that has anything to do with "this fanbase" is nonsensical. Also, Gaunce was another good AHL player who has graduated to the NHL.

Frank Corrado was "hyped" (if you can call it that... he wasn't actually) because he appeared to be NHL ready very early on (by playing there competently), so the assumption was that he would be a good AHL player who would eventually make it to the show. No one expected him to win Norris Trophies.

People were excited by Cassels because of the strong finish to his junior career. Again, find me a fanbase who wouldn't be excited to see what he can do. The "hype" pretty much stopped the moment he turned pro.
There were fans on here telling us guys like Carcone and Molino were elite talent.... There were others. Most of these kids take until at least Xmas to figure things out.... some never do....the AHL is an extremely tough league....

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Who the hell thought Carcoen and Molino were elite talents?

This is the first year you are getting a good prospect since Shinkaruk and Gaunce, and I know they are not great players but at least they were first rounders. Getting Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Joulevi, Jasek (for a full year) and maybe Hughes is the best prospect collection ever for Utica. Some of them will probably need time to adjust but this is the first time that there is hope for talent in Utica

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Having some hope for a guy ≠ calling him elite.

The Molino signing was roundly mocked in these parts.

A bit of perspective and non-selective memory is a must-have when remembering what actually transpires in this place. One crazy account registered to defend management for two weeks before disappearing hardly sets the consensus around here. And in this case, I don’t think there was even much of that.

Much like no one ever seriously said anything like “Cole Cassels will shut down McDavid” (this was an oft-repeated joke... I’d be hard-pressed to remember anyone saying it seriously).

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
The problem is there are no readily available centers in the Canucks depth pool. Unless you believe the exalted one is going to act differently than he has in the last 3 seasons in acquiring centers to fill up the void.

All you have to do to dissuade me is identify the guy that can be called "the new blood."

This is why I winced at the Hughes pick, not because there is anything wrong with Hughes but because until you have MORE than enough centers, you have NO BUSINESS DRAFTING ANYTHING ELSE WITH A HIGH PICK

Center ice is EVERYTHING, BY FAR the most important position in hockey, We have Horvat.....Who GILLIS got us....Peterson will NEVER play center in the NHL, so don't even bother, that leaves Mr. Electricity Gaudette to bring his electrifying offense to lines 2-4 on the Canucks and 1-4 on the Comets....oh, wait....is Sloth-man still around? What's his face.....1st rounder, Damn.....ANYWAY, he scored in Utica, let him be the #1 center ther....GAUNCE!!

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Everyone saying they never expected anything from Castles is lying through their teeth

EVERYONE, Myself included were high on him

I guess in three year no one will claim to have thought Gaudette was worth anything either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad