Confirmed with Link: Cole Cassels will not receive a qualifying offer

HarvP19

Nov 19, 2014
I got to say the writing was on the wall after the past three seasons in utica. We were too hyped after he shutdown mcDavid in Oshawa.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Thank god. He's been very underwhelming since going pro.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Probably for the best for the team. Too bad for him

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
AHL vet rule makes it pointless to keep guys like Cassels around for too long, even on AHL contracts. He’s not some AHL star and he has no NHL potential so he gets phased out.

Better off giving his spot to someone younger.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This can't be right. He was our 3C on hundreds of roster mock ups!

rip cassels. welcome to madden as our new 3rd rounder undersized centre son of a great nhl player.

it is a measure of how far our prospect pool has come that madden is not likely to be 3c in utica in a mock up anytime soon.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Biggest disappointment out of any Canucks prospect based on expectations. I thought at least he could be a #4 C in the NHL. I don't think he worked hard enough . He isnt a better today than he was in junior.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Not exactly a surprise but with our dearth of centres in the system I am not sure I understand the "odd man out" stuff. I would hope it means we are planning to sign a bunch of centres but this is something they have failed to do for about 3 years now.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
That draft looked so promising too, Cassels And Subban both had us all cheering.....at least that Bo Horvat guy looks like he might stick in the NHL or something

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Too bad, that injury early on really set him back but he could just never get his skating up to par. Thought he had a bit of a breakthrough last season but not enough obviously.

The good news is that this just means our prospect pool is that much stronger, that much more competitive. Sets the bar and sends a notice to everyone in the org.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Too bad, that injury early on really set him back but he could just never get his skating up to par. Thought he had a bit of a breakthrough last season but not enough obviously.

The good news is that this just means our prospect pool is that much stronger, that much more competitive. Sets the bar and sends a notice to everyone in the org.

It doesn't really mean that at all. Every prospect pool will have players that age out of it regardless of its quality.

Even if we had a terrible prospect pool we would still be replacing older ones with younger ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad