Confirmed with Link: Cole Cassels will not receive a qualifying offer

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This should be a lesson for people who were penciling Cassels into future lineups based on his performance "shutting down" McDavid...but of course it won't be.

People were wrong to do so based on that series. However he was a decent prospect who had great statistical progression in the OHL, had good vision, and a solid two-way game. Very deadly on the powerplay in junior as well. He got into injury troubles and was unable to overcome his skating issues. Still not a bad gamble for a third rounder and there was reason to be optimistic.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I guess in three year no one will claim to have thought Gaudette was worth anything either
Gaudette surveys the game at an high level and seems fearless.

If he busts I'll eat shit.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Just going off the top of my head. The first year that the Comets were in Utica and I started following this site Frankie Corrado and Nick Jensen were being hyped. After that Hunter Shinkaruk and to a lesser extent Brendan Gaunce. Then came Jordan Subban and Cole Cassels. This is just the draft picks that managed to make it to the AHL level.

It's easy to fall in love with these kids that put up big numbers in juniors but it is a big adjustment when playing against bigger, older and faster players at this level. Some succed and many do not.
I don't know. You're sample set is during years when the Canucks had hardly any prospects. It was a black hole. The fans knew there needed to be a transition in the NHL club but there was little hope in the system. Hence the overhyping of marginal prospects. You don't see the same thing as much now because there are legitimate high end prospects in the system.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't know. You're sample set is during years when the Canucks had hardly any prospects. It was a black hole. The fans knew there needed to be a transition in the NHL club but there was little hope in the system. Hence the overhyping of marginal prospects. You don't see the same thing as much now because there are legitimate high end prospects in the system.

Revisionist history is fun.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Everyone saying they never expected anything from Castles is lying through their teeth

EVERYONE, Myself included were high on him

I guess in three year no one will claim to have thought Gaudette was worth anything either

Gaudette is a higher calibre prospect but it absolutely applies to Lind and Gadjovich as many of us have been saying for a long time now. Transitioning from juniors to pro is a difficult step.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
This absolutely should be a forewarning to everyone who overestimates our prospects. People were projecting Cassels to be an impactful top 9 forward for a while. How a player looks like prior to the pro's is only an indication of future success, not a guarantee.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I guess so is taking pot shots without any substantive response.

There has never been a time in our history when we felt "hopeless" about our prospects, even when they were relatively poor. People here have always hyped up whatever was available, be it Jordan Schroeder or even Patrick white. I've been around long enough to remember excitement over Kirill Koltsov and Markus Kankaanpera.

Our prospects are objectively better than they were in the past but it's demonstrably false that we weren't excited about what we had in the past. The idea that we were sulking at the time and feeling hopeless because there was nothing on the horizon is pure revisionism.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
There has never been a time in our history when we felt "hopeless" about our prospects, even when they were relatively poor. People here have always hyped up whatever was available, be it Jordan Schroeder or even Patrick white. I've been around long enough to remember excitement over Kirill Koltsov and Markus Kankaanpera.

Our prospects are objectively better than they were in the past but it's demonstrably false that we weren't excited about what we had in the past. The idea that we were sulking at the time and feeling hopeless because there was nothing on the horizon is pure revisionism.
Sure. I don't completely disagree. But Jordan Subban would not be hyped in this current crop of prospects. Nor would Cassels. Look at this year's draft. Arguably Woo and Madden are better prospects than Subban and Cassels were during their draft years. But the postings on this forum are at best mixed. I would expect that, if Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes weren't in the fold, Woo would be the best thing to come along since Scott Stevens.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Sure. I don't completely disagree. But Jordan Subban would not be hyped in this current crop of prospects. Nor would Cassels. Look at this year's draft. Arguably Woo and Madden are better prospects than Subban and Cassels were during their draft years. But the postings on this forum are at best mixed. I would expect that, if Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes weren't in the fold, Woo would be the best thing to come along since Scott Stevens.

Going to strongly disagree. Look at the hype guys like Gadjovich got last year. Not much better than Cassels as prospects.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Going to strongly disagree. Look at the hype guys like Gadjovich got last year. Not much better than Cassels as prospects.
Yes the initial reaction to Gadjovich was very hyped because he had crazy goal numbers in the OHL. But that hype came crashing down to earth pretty quickly. I bet the general consensus now, and even post WJC, is that his skating is going to be a limiting factor.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

2015 Cassels is a better prospect than 2018 Lind or Gadjovich and those guys absolutely get hype.

Cassels was about the #5 prospect in the organization in May 2015 and would have been about the same in May 2018.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
2015 Cassels is a better prospect than 2018 Lind or Gadjovich and those guys absolutely get hype.

Cassels was about the #5 prospect in the organization in May 2015 and would have been about the same in May 2018.

In May 2018? Is that a typo?

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I think the shine of the 2017 draft is about to wear off once Lind and Gadjovich go pro. 2016 is already an abomination only 2 years later, partly from the lack of picks.
Wait wasn't the 2017 draft, literally, the best draft in Canucks history?

Reactions: timw33

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Yeah they absolutely would.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty difficult to compare prospects like Jensen, Gaunce, Cassels and Subban to prospects the Canucks have now, most of whom were selected in the top of the first round of the draft. Everybody knew those kids had 'issues' coming out of junior, which would need to be conquered if they were to become NHL regulars.

In the case of Gaunce and Cassels it was skating; Subban his defensive awareness and size; and Jensen, the physical intensity. There's a reason why they were all drafted late, and frankly just didn't improve much once they turned pro. Seems to me that where the Canucks have dramatically improved is the prognosis for kids drafted beyond the first round.

Demko, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Tryamkin, DiPietro and even kids like Palmu, Jasek, Brisebois, MacEwen and Chatfield all look like they can play. The prospect depth is crazy.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
A little surprised he never reached higher heights. Just goes as a reminder that drafting is only half the step. The player needs to develop further in order to make the NHL. At least he wasn't a 1st or 2nd rounder. Statistically speaking, third rounders rarely make it into the NHL as regular players,

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Pretty difficult to compare prospects like Jensen, Gaunce, Cassels and Subban to prospects the Canucks have now, most of whom were selected in the top of the first round of the draft. Everybody knew those kids had 'issues' coming out of junior, which would need to be conquered if they were to become NHL regulars.

In the case of Gaunce and Cassels it was skating; Subban his defensive awareness and size; and Jensen, the physical intensity. There's a reason why they were all drafted late, and frankly just didn't improve much once they turned pro. Seems to me that where the Canucks have dramatically improved is the prognosis for kids drafted beyond the first round.

Demko, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Tryamkin, DiPietro and even kids like Palmu, Jasek, Brisebois, MacEwen and Chatfield all look like they can play. The prospect depth is crazy.
Good summary. Their scouting process has improved.
I still think the misplaced hype has decreased. Maybe not completely gone, but decreased. Cassels and Subban were definitely hyped despite their "issues". The McDavid match-up was the pinnacle.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
They haven't had a chance to fail either to be fair. Look how Eddie Lack looked initially for example. I think it was "MS" who said, it's often the case where more recently drafted players tend to always look better for that very reason. Another example of a guy that actually played some NHL games (when it really counted to - playoffs) and showed lots of promise was Corrado. Look where that guy is now.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This absolutely should be a forewarning to everyone who overestimates our prospects. People were projecting Cassels to be an impactful top 9 forward for a while. How a player looks like prior to the pro's is only an indication of future success, not a guarantee.

true, but we have better prospects to overestimate now.

Reactions: pgj98m3

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
This is why I winced at the Hughes pick, not because there is anything wrong with Hughes but because until you have MORE than enough centers, you have NO BUSINESS DRAFTING ANYTHING ELSE WITH A HIGH PICK

Center ice is EVERYTHING, BY FAR the most important position in hockey, We have Horvat.....Who GILLIS got us....Peterson will NEVER play center in the NHL, so don't even bother, that leaves Mr. Electricity Gaudette to bring his electrifying offense to lines 2-4 on the Canucks and 1-4 on the Comets....oh, wait....is Sloth-man still around? What's his face.....1st rounder, Damn.....ANYWAY, he scored in Utica, let him be the #1 center ther....GAUNCE!!
I really don’t get your enamoration with this centre pick you have. Are you trying to say we should have taken a C in a tier or two below that of Hughes with our pick? That would have been really dumb- that’s picking for positional need over BPA. If we took Kravstov at 7 just because he was a centre that would have been terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->