Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Gruuub has been a really underrated acquisition for this team. Kid looks like a solid #1 goalie. It’s nice being able to watch a game where every night it seems like we’re not letting in one of those deflating goals. Bobrovsky is making 10 mil per year. Let that marinate a little bit.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Gruuub has been a really underrated acquisition for this team. Kid looks like a solid #1 goalie. It’s nice being able to watch a game where every night it seems like we’re not letting in one of those deflating goals. Bobrovsky is making 10 mil per year. Let that marinate a little bit.
Yeah, ever since he found his game in Colorado he's been rock solid. He's a huge part of this team and their success for sure.

Reactions: MacBradley

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Seems to have gotten even more solid and calm since he became the bonafide nr 1. One of the things I like most about him is that he doesn't let a bad goal destroy his game it instead make him play better.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Sakic had a hell of a 2nd round last year without out actually picking in the 2nd round.:sarcasm:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Our pro-scouts have always been the team's strongest areas. They've been able to find these gems that has more upside than previously thought.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This trade makes up for overpaying the caps for Varlamov

Grubby's been great so far, and Varly's tenure was marred by injuries, but he was worth the price they gave up for him.

He's still the 2nd best goaltender in Avalanche history, though Grubby can potentially surpass him if he keeps up his play, and the team has success.

I don't think people fully realize how terrible those teams were, because Varly bailed them out so often. It's scary to think how much worse they would have been without him.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Grubby's been great so far, and Varly's tenure was marred by injuries, but he was worth the price they gave up for him.

He's still the 2nd best goaltender in Avalanche history, though Grubby can potentially surpass him if he keeps up his play, and the team has success.

I don't think people fully realize how terrible those teams were, because Varly bailed them out so often. It's scary to think how much worse they would have been without him.
Yep, he was our poor mans Mikka Kiprusoff.

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012

I feel bad for Varly, he had a couple years where he was stealing games that we had absolutely no business being in with stunning regularity, and gets very little recognition outside of from Avs fans that know just how bad those teams were.

That 2013-2014 season was absolutely incredible - he lead the league in GSAA (27.45) while putting up a .927 SV% on a team with horrible defense and dragged a mediocre team kicking and screaming to a division title.

His biggest issue, as you said, was just that he couldn't stay healthy - he played injured a lot and missed a bunch of games. I would have loved to see how a prime/healthy Varly would have done on a decent team.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
If the Avs had the roster they do now back in 2013-14 with Varly in net we'd probably have won the cup.
I dunno, Varly could have played better in game 7 and the Avs would have won that series. Not convinced he is the type of goaltender who will shut the door late in games to carry the team to a cup.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
I feel bad for Varly, he had a couple years where he was stealing games that we had absolutely no business being in with stunning regularity, and gets very little recognition outside of from Avs fans that know just how bad those teams were.

That 2013-2014 season was absolutely incredible - he lead the league in GSAA (27.45) while putting up a .927 SV% on a team with horrible defense and dragged a mediocre team kicking and screaming to a division title.

His biggest issue, as you said, was just that he couldn't stay healthy - he played injured a lot and missed a bunch of games. I would have loved to see how a prime/healthy Varly would have done on a decent team.
Varley should have won the Vezina that year, but they gave it to Task who had slightly better numbers playing behind perennial Selke finalist Bergeron and a Norris finalist in Chara.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just another great move by the front office. I loved the trade when it happened, it got dicey for a bit during the season, but then Grubauer settled in and never looked back. The only thing he now has left to prove is if he can handle the workload for a full season. However, if Francouz keeps playing like he has, they may not even have to work Grubauer too much in the regular season.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Sneaky move to use our cap space to take on Orpik to keep the cost of acquiring Grub to a 2nd round pick only.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Sakic really can't do much wrong nowadays. The drafting/development could and should be better but nearly everything else is going great.
Signs are good in that regard. In addition to a Calder candidate a rookie started the year on the team and Justus has been impressing.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This trade makes up for overpaying the caps for Varlamov

Except we didn't overpay for him. People were screaming for Sakic to deal a 1st round pick for a young goalie. People just got pissed that it was Varly instead of Schneider or Bernier as they wanted it to be.
Funny thing is...Varly was better than both of them since that trade was made.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Except we didn't overpay for him. People were screaming for Sakic to deal a 1st round pick for a young goalie. People just got pissed that it was Varly instead of Schneider or Bernier as they wanted it to be.
Funny thing is...Varly was better than both of them since that trade was made.

Sakic wasn't the GM of the Avalanche at that time, it was Sherman. Sakic was an executive advisor.

Given the majority of Sherman's trades were pretty subpar in terms of getting maximum value for the value of the assets of the time, I believe he was involved in the components of the trade moreso than Sakic. A high 1st and 2nd rounder for a goalie who only posted strong numbers as a backup goalie in one season was an overpay at the time. In my opinion, Grubauer actually had higher value since he had a larger body of work to evaluate his level of consistency but even then, most Caps fans agree that he was at most worth a low 1st rounder / high 2nd rounder. Taking on Orpik's salary helped lower his value for us.

Schneider cost a lot because he had three years with the Canucks where he posted strong numbers for a backup (higher sv% and lower GAA than Varlamov's best year with the Caps) so there was a large demand for him.

While Varlamov had one truly outstanding year, he also had a number of years where it was hard to justify the cost of acquisition, especially when we're talking about not adding Filip Forsberg (or one of the defensemen taken in the Top 10). Starting goalies can be acquired for far less than what the Avs paid as shown by Sakic's trade for Grubauer, which is why I was never a fan of the trade.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sakic wasn't the GM of the Avalanche at that time, it was Sherman. Sakic was an executive advisor.

Given the majority of Sherman's trades were pretty subpar in terms of getting maximum value for the value of the assets of the time, I believe he was involved in the components of the trade moreso than Sakic. A high 1st and 2nd rounder for a goalie who only posted strong numbers as a backup goalie in one season was an overpay at the time. In my opinion, Grubauer actually had higher value since he had a larger body of work to evaluate his level of consistency but even then, most Caps fans agree that he was at most worth a low 1st rounder / high 2nd rounder. Taking on Orpik's salary helped lower his value for us.

Schneider cost a lot because he had three years with the Canucks where he posted strong numbers for a backup (higher sv% and lower GAA than Varlamov's best year with the Caps) so there was a large demand for him.

While Varlamov had one truly outstanding year, he also had a number of years where it was hard to justify the cost of acquisition, especially when we're talking about not adding Filip Forsberg (or one of the defensemen taken in the Top 10). Starting goalies can be acquired for far less than what the Avs paid as shown by Sakic's trade for Grubauer, which is why I was never a fan of the trade.

Varly was also a high draft pick and young as opposed to Grub who was older and didn’t have the same potential as Varly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Varly's issues were always consistency and health. When he was on his game, almost nobody better in the NHL. The only year he was consistent and fairly healthy for the whole season was 13-14. 14-15 and 17-18 he had good seasons overall, but still fought the injury and consistency bug a bit. The rest of his seasons here he was too up and down to be counted on and hurt as much as he helped. I really wish him nothing but the best though. Great personality and hell of a goalie when he is on his game. Overall, glad we took the chance on Grubs.

Reactions: kitsel

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Varly's issues were always consistency and health. When he was on his game, almost nobody better in the NHL. The only year he was consistent and fairly healthy for the whole season was 13-14. 14-15 and 17-18 he had good seasons overall, but still fought the injury and consistency bug a bit. The rest of his seasons here he was too up and down to be counted on and hurt as much as he helped. I really wish him nothing but the best though. Great personality and hell of a goalie when he is on his game. Overall, glad we took the chance on Grubs.
What I hated most about Varlamov is how unclutch he was. He could be having an amazing game but would still somehow let in a late 3rd period goal to lose the game. He was also far from perfect in game 7 against Minnesota when it counted. Grubauer could be having a terrible game but find ways to shut the door in the 3rd period.

Reactions: S E P H

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What I hated most about Varlamov is how unclutch he was. He could be having an amazing game but would still somehow let in a late 3rd period goal to lose the game. He was also far from perfect in game 7 against Minnesota when it counted. Grubauer could be having a terrible game but find ways to shut the door in the 3rd period.

I noticed it more in the last couple years, but yeah. Right after we score, at the beginning or end of a period, late in the third.

Varly can not handle being cold at all. I was sort of wondering how he'd fit on a Trotz coached team even putting aside the impact injuries have had on his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad