Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Sakic wasn't the GM of the Avalanche at that time, it was Sherman. Sakic was an executive advisor.

Given the majority of Sherman's trades were pretty subpar in terms of getting maximum value for the value of the assets of the time, I believe he was involved in the components of the trade moreso than Sakic. A high 1st and 2nd rounder for a goalie who only posted strong numbers as a backup goalie in one season was an overpay at the time. In my opinion, Grubauer actually had higher value since he had a larger body of work to evaluate his level of consistency but even then, most Caps fans agree that he was at most worth a low 1st rounder / high 2nd rounder. Taking on Orpik's salary helped lower his value for us.

Schneider cost a lot because he had three years with the Canucks where he posted strong numbers for a backup (higher sv% and lower GAA than Varlamov's best year with the Caps) so there was a large demand for him.

While Varlamov had one truly outstanding year, he also had a number of years where it was hard to justify the cost of acquisition, especially when we're talking about not adding Filip Forsberg (or one of the defensemen taken in the Top 10). Starting goalies can be acquired for far less than what the Avs paid as shown by Sakic's trade for Grubauer, which is why I was never a fan of the trade.

Sakic has been around so long I confuse his reign with Sherman's sometimes. I still think Sakic was pulling the strings during the 2011 season, he was becoming more and more involved with the hockey operations at that time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Replace Sakic with Lacroix.

What if Lacroix broke into the Avs front office over night, called Poile and Dubas while doing his best Sakic impression, and PL was actually the one that made the Duchene and Barrie trades?

Then just like that...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Still a good trade of course, but I sure wish Parkkila would work on getting him to quit over-committing on guys coming in on the short side. He slides WAY out of position and it almost always leaves him unable to defend any wraparound attempts.

Regardless, if tandems are the future, the Avs appear to have a very good one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
OMG OMG OMG, I need to "acquire" that cooler with Leon's signature!

...oh yeah...Gru's more chill n laidback than I expected, but my perspective on goalies is definitely tainted by just how out-going every single one that I've ever played with was :laugh:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think the Avs have got to try to keep him this offseason. There are no replacements available either internally or via UFA, we're really over a barrel with him. Hopefully we can get it at a reasonable cost, I'm not so worried about the term because of his age, but the cap hit on his raise is going to be an issue as we continue to pinch pennies to ice a full lineup.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think the Avs have got to try to keep him this offseason. There are no replacements available either internally or via UFA, we're really over a barrel with him. Hopefully we can get it at a reasonable cost, I'm not so worried about the term because of his age, but the cap hit on his raise is going to be an issue as we continue to pinch pennies to ice a full lineup.

I'm fine with the Avs resigning him and rolling with him as their long term #1 until/if Annunen is ready. Outside of a horrible midseason stretch a few years ago Grubauer has been pretty damn solid. He'll never be a Gibson, but I also doubt a Gibson will fall into the Avs lap without doing something they'll probably regret.

I've always believed goalies on good teams steal too much credit from the defensive cores playing in front of them. As the Avs young D continue to develop and come into their prime I would not be surprised at all if Grubauer all of a sudden starts looking better and better.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I think he'll walk, personally. Unlike Landy, I don't get the impression that Gru has any real loyalty to the Avs. I think he'll chase the $$$, and there will be multiple teams lining up to pay him what he wants. IMO, Markstrom and Murray are the comparables, and one makes $6M and the other $6.25M. I doubt Joe ponies up $6M+ with the flat cap and having to re-sign Landy, Saad, Calvert, and Makar. The only way he gets that is if EJ gets moved, and I personally don't see Joe doing that. He'll go out and get a cheaper alternative to Gru, someone like a Kuemper. JMO.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think he'll walk, personally. Unlike Landy, I don't get the impression that Gru has any real loyalty to the Avs. I think he'll chase the $$$, and there will be multiple teams lining up to pay him what he wants. IMO, Markstrom and Murray are the comparables, and one makes $6M and the other $6.25M. I doubt Joe ponies up $6M+ with the flat cap and having to re-sign Landy, Saad, Calvert, and Makar. The only way he gets that is if EJ gets moved, and I personally don't see Joe doing that. He'll go out and get a cheaper alternative to Gru, someone like a Kuemper. JMO.

Yeah, this wouldn’t surprise me either, actually. I hope they’re able to retain him, but I could see a team like Edmonton giving him a Markstrom like contract.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There's more loyalty in the game then you might think.

Often times for a player to actually hit UFA and leave a team, they either have to really want out, the team shows zero interest in signing them, or cant afford to keep them.

Gotta remember these guys have families and often young families to. So on top of moving to a completely new city with brand new teammates and a new organization... They have to uproot that young family and move them to a new place as well.

That's not to say Gruby will stay. But I think if the Avs offer him a fair competitive offer we should be able to retain him. I would be hesitant to give up too much term, but in terms of $$$ especially if he continues to perform at the level of a ~Top 10 Goalie in the league, I'd have no problem going up to 5.xx to keep him around, I'd just prefer not to go above 3-4 years on said deal.

4 Years and 20M would be a perfect contract in my books.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm fine with the Avs resigning him and rolling with him as their long term #1 until/if Annunen is ready. Outside of a horrible midseason stretch a few years ago Grubauer has been pretty damn solid. He'll never be a Gibson, but I also doubt a Gibson will fall into the Avs lap without doing something they'll probably regret.

I've always believed goalies on good teams steal too much credit from the defensive cores playing in front of them. As the Avs young D continue to develop and come into their prime I would not be surprised at all if Grubauer all of a sudden starts looking better and better.

I wouldn't count on Annunen. I doubt he's ever going to establish himself as a NHL player, let alone a starter.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
There's more loyalty in the game then you might think.

Often times for a player to actually hit UFA and leave a team, they either have to really want out, the team shows zero interest in signing them, or cant afford to keep them.

Gotta remember these guys have families and often young families to. So on top of moving to a completely new city with brand new teammates and a new organization... They have to uproot that young family and move them to a new place as well.

That's not to say Gruby will stay. But I think if the Avs offer him a fair competitive offer we should be able to retain him. I would be hesitant to give up too much term, but in terms of $$$ especially if he continues to perform at the level of a ~Top 10 Goalie in the league, I'd have no problem going up to 5.xx to keep him around, I'd just prefer not to go above 3-4 years on said deal.

4 Years and 20M would be a perfect contract in my books.
4 years would be ideal. That wohld lineup nicely with Sebastian Cossa's timeline if they Avs want to take a goalie in the late 1st this year.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I wouldn't count on Annunen. I doubt he's ever going to establish himself as a NHL player, let alone a starter.

Not really counting on him per se, I want to say he's the Avs best bet internally but I don't claim to know much when it comes to goalie prospects.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
There's 22 games in 39 days until the April 12 deadline , including 4 back-to-backs, and 6 games against Anaheim and 6 against Arizona. The only difficult back-to-back on paper is against the Blues, with the other 3 being against Anaheim and/or Arizona.

That being the case they probably figure that they can get away with Grubauer starting 75% of games until the deadline, which is 16.5 games in 39 days, and giving Miska 6 games including 4 on back-to-backs, 3 of which are against Arizona/Anaheim.

Not saying that it's the right decision, but it seems like a calculated gamble to wait until April 12th to add a goalie based on a relatively easy schedule until then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad