Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

Discussion in 'Colorado Avalanche' started by Freudian, Jun 22, 2018.

1. The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park Registered User

It’s been pretty even if not more for Grub. Varly got none at the start of the year because he played well. There were people tearing into Grub no matter how he played st the started the year. I think more people defended Grub, but that’s cuz we have to know what we truly have in him. Whereas we know what we get with Varly.

S E P H and CobraAcesS like this.
  2. dahrougem2

dahrougem2 Registered User

People rip into Grubauer a lot more than they do Varlamov

S E P H likes this.
  3. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

It's like 10-1 the amount of people who come out of the woodwork and rip Varly over every goal versus Grubauer.

They both deserve heat when they play poorly, but to act like Grubauer gets more heat than Varly is not even close to reality.

4. The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park Registered User

Grubauer got eviserated by board here during the oilers game after letting in that McDavid breakaway after he relived Varly. It’s probably 50/50 but grubs gets crapped on for way less.

S E P H and CobraAcesS like this.
  5. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

There were three games in a row during that bad stretch in December where Varly didn’t give up a single bad goal, and yet there were tons of people ripping him on here. I posted all the goals and no one could explain how any of them were bad, yet it didn't stop anyone from ripping on him.

They both get deserved heat for playing poorly, but the number of people complaining is more for Varly, especially on goals that weren't bad. He gets lots of heat every game just for goals, regardless how they went in.

klozge likes this.
  6. Tralfamadore

Tralfamadore Don't Panic.

I think people around here were hesitant to admit that the D was still a major issue considering the great start the group had. There had to be a target for complaints and it fell on Varly.

People have come around recently and have realized the D is still pretty ****.

7. CB Joe

CB Joe Registered User

People rip in to Grubauer more than Varlamov because Grubauer has been worse, not just because he's Grubauer.

CobraAcesS, Foppberg and Waingro like this.
  8. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

You basically described the last eight years or so. Varly deserves heat for poor performances, and being injury prone, but he's also the favorite scapegoat of many.

The defensive breakdowns rarely get acknowledged because they're harder for some to see. The D core has gotten better but Girard is still young, Zadorov is still a little inconsistent, Barrie is still bad defensively, EJ had a poor start, and Cole and Nemeth are falling back to earth.

9. Tralfamadore

Tralfamadore Don't Panic.

I'm still not here to defend the goaltending. It's been an issue and the team is just not getting that one save it needs whether its early in the 1st to settle things down or in the 3rd when they are down a goal.

Waingro likes this.
  10. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

I think the ones in the first are the big problem. Both have given up some bad goals late in games recently, but the early ones are the big problem IMO.

Last game not withstanding, the Avs can't seem to stabilize after getting down early, until it's too late in the 3rd period when the opposition starts sitting back. They start gripping their sticks too tight and making mental errors.

11. Foppberg

Foppberg Registered User Sponsor

And Varly has been with us for way longer and has actually been great for us for the for majority of his time here.

12. dahrougem2

This just isn't true at all.

CobraAcesS, Pokecheque and Avs_19 like this.
  13. Avs44

Avs44 Registered User

Yeah, I couldn’t disagree more with that take. The ratio of people who rip Grubauer vs those who rip Varly is far higher. There’s zero tolerance for any Grubauer mistake

Avs_19 likes this.
  14. Foppberg

Maybe if he showed some promise there would be more tolerance.

15. LieutenantDangle

LieutenantDangle Barry McKockner

Golf Professional
    People wanted to keep Pickard over Varlamov. Like lots of people. Let that sink in.

The Kingslayer and Pokecheque like this.
  16. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

Really? You think the reaction to Varly's last game is at all close to the reaction to any of Grubauer's games this year? That the number of negative posts is at all close? You think Grubauer gets dozens of critical posts for goals he lets in that weren't bad goals like Varly does? This happens constantly, and it has for years. You think there's anywhere near as many trade offers for Grubauer by Avs fans as there is for Varly? You think if they both have bad games their next outing, the reaction will be the same?

17. The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer Registered User

Unjustly. Everyone should just agree that both are playing like ****. I will say though when Grubauer is bad hes alot worse than Varlamovs bad. Maybe thats why people here hate the german with a passion. You can basically count on 3-4 posters to jump in the GDT and torch his ass when he lets in a bad goal haha.

CobraAcesS likes this.
  18. The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer Registered User

I wanted them both gone after that 16-17 season. Havent liked Varly since then in all honesty.

CobraAcesS likes this.
  19. dahrougem2

Yes, for literally everything you said save for the trade offers part but that's because Grubauer just got here. I don't understand how you don't see it unless you intentionally avoid it.

I know you have defended Varlamov like crazy, and you've made valid points regarding him but the vitriol towards Grubauer is just as bad if not worse since he got here.

20. Foppberg

Eh.. I'd say it's pretty even. Both get **** on plenty.

CobraAcesS likes this.
  21. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

Maybe I haven't seen the GDT's enough lately, or maybe you're basing this off twitter, but if there's 3-4 people who jump into the GDT to torch Grubauer when he lets in a bad goal like mentioned, you can multiple that times 2 or 3 for Varly, and do the same for a bunch of goals that weren't bad as well.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain that cross ice one timers, screens, and defections aren't bad goals. Barring the occasional off base comment, I don't see people doing that to Gru. I see people getting upset when he plays poorly though.

22. Pierce Hawthorne

Pierce Hawthorne Formerly Avsare1

You are out to lunch.

23. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

I would place money on the fact you root for Varlamov to lose when he's in net, so your opinion means nothing to me.

24. Ivan13

Ivan13 Super Joe!

I really don't see why discuss who gets more hate. Both are vilified when they play poorly. Hell, people whined about Grubauer even after those 40 save performances because "he didn't look right".

Waingro and CobraAcesS like this.
  25. HartKinnon

HartKinnon Registered User

Well every goalie in NHL can make 40 save performances when stars are aligned in a right order.

I don't know what others think but my main concern with Grubauer is that he has too many flaws to be a succesful starter when Avs enter in to their Cup window and three millions is way too much money for back up goalie when it is Avs time to shine. I have asked many times what u guys see in Grubauer that let you believe we must invest more time in him? I haven't got any answers for that question and that tells me enough.

Grubauer is our new shiny toy whereas Varly is the inconsistent always banged up goalie who most of this board wants gone. Many of you just forgets that he has got surgeries to fix those nagging problems and we brought in Parkkila who has modified Varly's stance in goal to be more upward position and Varly doesn't put his pads on ice as easy as he was doing before Parkkila came in. Varly's injury problems are being sorted out but sure go ahead and hang on those old injuries when judging him.