Confirmed with Link: COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Tyson Barrie at $2.75m would be an awesome rental. Could see Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg being interested

I was thinking of the Flames as well. They had a deal in place with the Leafs until Kadri vetoed it so there was interest in one of the Flames D (rumoured to be Brodie). Maybe there's a Barrie for Brodie/Hamonic trade to be made if things don't improve for both teams. Brodie's health is obviously a concern and that comes first so Hamonic might be more likely.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Tyson Barrie at $2.75m would be an awesome rental. Could see Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg being interested
Leafs are all-in, they aren't going to trade Barrie as a rental. If they trade him it will be a hockey trade for more than likely another RHD.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He would be a great for in EDM

Yeah, the Oilers are definitely the best fit for his style of play outside of Colorado, and he doesn't have another high end offensive defenseman to take minutes away from him there like Toronto or Vancouver. They can pair him all night with McDavid if they want, just like he was with MacKinnon.

That said, not everybody wants to live in Edmonton.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Anyone else feel like we got the 2 best assets in this deal?

You could even call it 3 assets if you view not having to give Tyson a deal that will be awful starting the day it’s signed, as a plus. I guess going down the rabbit hole you can say 4 assets if we’re including the ridiculous deal the leafs gave to Kerfoot.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
From Mirtle's piece on Babcock:

The Tyson Barrie situation is a good example of the dressing-room issues at play. Elliotte Friedman reported on Saturday night’s broadcast that Barrie had not requested a trade. But based on what I’ve been hearing in recent weeks, that still may happen. He is clearly not happy in Toronto, and his camp has had recent talks with the front office about the situation.

Barrie is goalless and on pace for the worst season of his career, right when he’s about to hit unrestricted free agency, at a position (right defence) where the demand is often through the roof. They were expecting a big payday north of $45-million, long term. That’s suddenly in jeopardy.

Mirtle: The pros and cons of the Maple Leafs moving on from...

#FreeBarrie

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Yhea. He was, deservedly, gonna ask for way more than that. Now its becoming less clear every week that goes by. Recency bias will be a bitch for him if things keep heading in that direction... Very curious to see how this is gonna end. I feel bad for the guy...

I was in the camp of people being OK with trading him for the right 2C player, partly because of expected cap constraints with the size of his expected future contract. But I never agreed with people who are unfairly bashing him in order to justify their willingness to trade him. I think he is a very high end player, amazing offensively, who deserves to get paid for what he can provide. I don't think these two positions are in contradiction. Regardless of his value, or because of his value, I thought that trading him was a good option, given our needs and strengths.

So I wish him the best. Now the question is, could the best be a return to Colorado on a reasonable/bargain deal????? How about a 4 years $30M deal?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Yhea. He was, deservedly, gonna ask for way more than that. Now its becoming less clear every week that goes by. Recency bias will be a ***** for him if things keep heading in that direction... Very curious to see how this is gonna end. I feel bad for the guy...

I was in the camp of people being OK with trading him for the right 2C player, partly because of expected cap constraints with the size of his expected future contract. But I never agreed with people who are unfairly bashing him in order to justify their willingness to trade him. I think he is a very high end player, amazing offensively, who deserves to get paid for what he can provide. I don't think these two positions are in contradiction. Regardless of his value, or because of his value, I thought that trading him was a good option, given our needs and strengths.

So I wish him the best. Now the question is, could the best be a return to Colorado on a reasonable/bargain deal????? How about a 4 years $30M deal?

Barrie has always been over-rated.

Good offensively in a PP or structured ES role. Terrible defensively. He is one-dimensional and needs a defensive LHD. There simply is no room for him after: Makar, Girard and Byram.

If there is any offer, I would offer the same deal as Girard 7 years @ $35M or $5M per.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I'm glad the Avs won't do this. His defense has become so bad in the last couple of years.

Edit: And with Makar, Girard, Byram, Timmins and Rosen Avs don't need his offensive talents.
Serious questions for the board re: Tyson:

1. Is Tyson in the bottom 5% of all dmen in the league in terms of defensive ability?

2. If Tyson was a 25pt Dman (which is what he’s on pace for currently), is he an nhl caliber player?

I suspect the usual answers from the usual suspects on each side (myself included), but just curious about everyone’s thoughts.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Serious questions for the board re: Tyson:

1. Is Tyson in the bottom 5% of all dmen in the league in terms of defensive ability?

2. If Tyson was a 25pt Dman (which is what he’s on pace for currently), is he an nhl caliber player?

I suspect the usual answers from the usual suspects on each side (myself included), but just curious about everyone’s thoughts.

1. No.

2. Yes, he is still NHL-caliber.

One bad season does not negate the fact that he's been one of the most consistent and productive defensemen in the league since 2013-14. I think something else will give before he runs completely aground this season though. Either he gets dealt or Babs will finally get the axe, but something will take place where he finds himself in a better position.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Demoted to the bottom pair now with Holl taking his place next to Muzzin. Newport needs to get him out immediately.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Demoted to the bottom pair now with Holl taking his place next to Muzzin. Newport needs to get him out immediately.

I feel like some people don't realize how bad Barrie plays. They just assume he's not producing because of Babcock's style but he's really, really bad.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I feel like some people don't realize how bad Barrie plays. They just assume he's not producing because of Babcock's style but he's really, really bad.

The last game he looked truly terrible. Making bad plays all the time, lots of them costing Toronto dearly. When he's not producing - since I put him in the bottom 10-20% in defensive ability - he's really a liability.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
1. No.

2. Yes, he is still NHL-caliber.

One bad season does not negate the fact that he's been one of the most consistent and productive defensemen in the league since 2013-14. I think something else will give before he runs completely aground this season though. Either he gets dealt or Babs will finally get the axe, but something will take place where he finds himself in a better position.
Agree that 1 bad stretch/season doesn’t negate all the positives he’s done. Yes he was productive and consistent, but the Avs played only to his strengths - heavy PP time and only offensive zone starts - and basically crafted the rest of the D around Tyson’s skill set. There aren’t many teams that want, or have the ability, to do that.

Reactions: MarkT

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Agree that 1 bad stretch/season doesn’t negate all the positives he’s done. Yes he was productive and consistent, but the Avs played only to his strengths - heavy PP time and only offensive zone starts - and basically crafted the rest of the D around Tyson’s skill set. There aren’t many teams that want, or have the ability, to do that.

I mean I would say every successful team plays their players to their strengths and utilizes them in the most effective way possible. So Dubas acquiring Barrie really shows how much of a disconnect there is between him and Babcock because Dubas clearly sees something in Barrie that Babcock doesn’t see how or isn’t willing to.

TLDR; don’t acquire a player if you aren’t going to utilize him in a positive manner.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Echoes of Sandis Ozolinsh. There have always been players like Tyson Barrie, and there will only be more of them as the game gears itself more toward speed and offense. I don't think he's that hard of a player to figure out, or to build around. They just happen to have a coach who right now is going out of his way to go in a much different direction than his GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad