Confirmed with Link: COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Barrie had the lowest EV ice time among Leafs defensemen tonight and Dermott is the only defenseman with less ice time overall.

Not great on a night when Friedman got the trade speculation rolling and specifically mentioned how important this season is for Barrie because of his contract status.
-4 and on the ice for 5 goals against...Yikes.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Barrie will clearly search for a team that would use him on the top unit

He's going to sign in Winnipeg. It checks all the boxes. Central division. 1st powerplay unit. Team need at RHD.

I feel bad that Barrie is having a tough time dealing with adjusting to the Leafs, but these are the kinds of situations you need to factor in, when you're insisting on top dollar to re-sign with the team you've had all your success with.

I love ROR as a player, but he was on his way to a similar fate in Buffalo. He got lucky they traded him to the Blues, where he fit like a glove, and was given a big role to play a style that suited his strengths.

He could have easily been traded to a bad team, or a bubble team, or one that he didn't fit with, and he'd be stuck there until he was 32. Where he'd then have to go Cup chasing, and depending on the term he signed for, he'd only a couple rolls of the dice to pick a team that would win a Cup.

I'm all for players chasing the dollar and getting paid as much as possible, but you don't always get to have your cake and eat it too. A lot of times you end up a whipping boy because you're overpaid, or end up on a team that likes to overpay guys. Which is usually a team that has trouble staying competitive.

I'm so glad to see someone say this. So many people on these forums don't talk about the negative aspects of players going for as much money as they can. Almost every free agent would be better off taking a little less money/term, but picking a team with the right situation for them.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Tys was on the ice for 5 goals against last night. Only one he wasn’t on for was the PP goal. He did this while playing the fewest 5v5 minutes of any defenseman on the team. Man I feel awful for him. It’s just not working.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Tys was on the ice for 5 goals against last night. Only one he wasn’t on for was the PP goal. He did this while playing the fewest 5v5 minutes of any defenseman on the team. Man I feel awful for him. It’s just not working.

Yeah it's a shame all around. He's such a good dude. He doesn't deserve this.

Reactions: flyfysher

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Very interested to see Barrie's next contract. If this continues he might not break 30 points, which is just absurd after being pretty much a 60 point D for the Avs.

Maybe he takes a 1 year "prove it" contract, settles for less or maybe someone goes wild in desperation and hands him the keys to the treasure chest.

Reactions: MarkT

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Come on TB. I'm rooting for you to land on your feet and do well (except against the Avs).

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Tyson Barrie at $2.75m would be an awesome rental. Could see Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg being interested

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
The same way they would've fit Barrie in if Babcock weren't going all Bednar-2017 on him, but with Tyson's money going to Pie instead? You let Muzzin, Tyson & Ceci walk, spend your cap-space on re-signing Dermott* & bringing Pietrangelo in; while moving Nylander for a 2nd pairing guy on a good deal. Rielly, Pietrangelo, Dermott, Nylander-trade, Sandin + random #6 off the scrap heap; would be imminently doable if Stl let Pie go & he was interested in Toronto.

*assuming he makes a full recovery & is back to form by season's end, if not, then use the dermott money on retaining Muzzin instead.

Not sure that works. Depending on what you get for Nylander of course, but if they cannot swing that, they would be icing a 21 man roster with 300k in cap space (assuming a $2mil bump in cap and giving the pending RFAs including Dermottt just $1M contracts). Testingnot a real attempt - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not sure that works. Depending on what you get for Nylander of course, but if they cannot swing that, they would be icing a 21 man roster with 300k in cap space (assuming a $2mil bump in cap and giving the pending RFAs including Dermottt just $1M contracts). Testingnot a real attempt - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I am assuming that trading Nylander for a middle-pairing guy on a good deal would save them around 2-3M from where they sit with Nylander's full cap hit on the books...and an extra 2-3M should be enough for them to bridge Dermott, especially with him still getting back into the form he was in before his injury.

May also require dumping a Johnsson/Kerfoot over the summer, for futures to use at the deadline, but that shouldn't be too hard if this hypothetical came to pass.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I am assuming that trading Nylander for a middle-pairing guy on a good deal would save them around 2-3M from where they sit with Nylander's full cap hit on the books...and an extra 2-3M should be enough for them to bridge Dermott, especially with him still getting back into the form he was in before his injury.

May also require dumping a Johnsson/Kerfoot over the summer, for futures to use at the deadline, but that shouldn't be too hard if this hypothetical came to pass.

Ian Cole??

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Cole retained and Graves for two seconds. Leafs can probably get that for Barrie. End up even on assets and cap but have a much better defensive zone unit.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
I went to the game last night, and man oh man does Barrie look putrid. He has zero confidence with the puck right now, Muzzin has no trust in him and his defensive lapses are only more glaring. He has no idea where he is supposed to be in this system.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Very interested to see Barrie's next contract. If this continues he might not break 30 points, which is just absurd after being pretty much a 60 point D for the Avs.

Maybe he takes a 1 year "prove it" contract, settles for less or maybe someone goes wild in desperation and hands him the keys to the treasure chest.

It's UFA market. He will get paid for his years with Avalanche.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad