Confirmed with Link: COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Starting to think that this might be one of the ever elusive win:win trades.

If Toronto extends Barrie I think it is. If they don’t Kadri, and his contract, is a high price for a rental Barrie. Kerfoot for Rosen + 3rd net out in my mind.

There’s a lot of second guessing on the Toronto board right now regarding this trade.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
If Toronto extends Barrie I think it is. If they don’t Kadri, and his contract, is a high price for a rental Barrie. Kerfoot for Rosen + 3rd net out in my mind.

There’s a lot of second guessing on the Toronto board right now regarding this trade.
They're not still trying to talk themselves into believing Kerfoot is the best 3C in the league anymore?

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Kerfoot to me is still someone you don’t want at his price tag, I’ve watched every Toronto game and his wingers are driving the play much better than he is. He’s in that Desharnais, PAP, or Ennis tier of player that you don’t want in a checking line role as they are soft and not especially good defensively, but if they are in your top 6 you probably aren’t a contender.

I don’t know about other posters but if given the choice of getting Kerfoot back for that 3rd rounder, I would easily decline. Kerfoot to me plays empty while Kadri plays with intensity. I really think this trade was a good one.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Barrie is always a slow starter.
This is good news for us then lol. He’s looked solid enough so far. Funny enough, Kadri is usually the same way. So stoked he’s got off to a good start for you guys, we certainly miss him. @CB Joe Kadri has a reputation of being dirty but he plays well between the lines 99% of the time. He has a habit of getting caught up in big emotional moments and if someone crosses that line on the other side, he’ll take it to the next level. To me, it’s a skill set you want on the team. He will always defend a player if necessary.

Wanted to ask if Barrie has always taken a high amount of shots from the point. Seems like he’s always trying to get it through rather than making a play to the wall. I don’t necessarily love a Dman taking low percentage shots from there. Especially on a team that lacks big bodies and a general netfront presence to screen/tip. I’d actually like to see Barrie on the PP1 but I think we’re legitimately trying to lower his point totals and sewer his value to re-sign. Unfortunately he’s good and putting up points regardless lol.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
This is good news for us then lol. He’s looked solid enough so far. Funny enough, Kadri is usually the same way. So stoked he’s got off to a good start for you guys, we certainly miss him. @CB Joe Kadri has a reputation of being dirty but he plays well between the lines 99% of the time. He has a habit of getting caught up in big emotional moments and if someone crosses that line on the other side, he’ll take it to the next level. To me, it’s a skill set you want on the team. He will always defend a player if necessary.

Wanted to ask if Barrie has always taken a high amount of shots from the point. Seems like he’s always trying to get it through rather than making a play to the wall. I don’t necessarily love a Dman taking low percentage shots from there. Especially on a team that lacks big bodies and a general netfront presence to screen/tip. I’d actually like to see Barrie on the PP1 but I think we’re legitimately trying to lower his point totals and sewer his value to re-sign. Unfortunately he’s good and putting up points regardless lol.
He's used to having Landeskog in front of the net to redirect the puck. Avs rarely use shots against the boards.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

In a vacuum, I think the trade was fair value. But it’s just not what the Leafs needed. The Leafs are a Ferrari that desperately needed a new transmission, but went with upgraded rims instead. Looks nice, but not at all what was needed.

So while the Leafs got fair value, I just think it was a bad deal for them. I’d argue that the Leafs May be better off re-signing Muzzin and not Barrie, because without Muzzin’s defensive prowess, they would be much much worse.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Yes Barrie is a volume shooter. It’s something he learned from playing with Burns at the Worlds a few years ago. It’s a positive thing though because Barrie is really really good at getting pucks through traffic.

They may seem like “low percentage” shots but every shot that reaches the net is a valuable one. Especially with traffic and screens in the way.

Reactions: S E P H

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Yes Barrie is a volume shooter. It’s something he learned from playing with Burns at the Worlds a few years ago. It’s a positive thing though because Barrie is really really good at getting pucks through traffic.

They may seem like “low percentage” shots but every shot that reaches the net is a valuable one. Especially with traffic and screens in the way.
There’s definitely a benefit to that and it’s needed some times. But When when you have 3 all world players on your team like the Leafs, you’d rather those guys shoot just based solely on the percentages.

Reactions: Big Cactus

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There’s definitely a benefit to that and it’s needed some times. But When when you have 3 all world players on your team like the Leafs, you’d rather those guys shoot just based solely on the percentages.
Meh I don’t really agree. I can’t say this with any certainty but I doubt there’s much eveidence in the history of the sport that shows more success coming from passing up shooting opportunities to trying to create the perfect play.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Why? The Avs had 2 all world shooters in Mikko and Mack on our PP and it worked quite well with Tyson taking shots. Hell we're seeing now that the top PP is struggling without Barrie's shot as Cale is far too passive and not confident enough in himself to shoot the puck.

Getting the puck on net from the point no matter what kind of shot is a very good thing.

Anyway, ya the Leafs board is a funny read regarding this trade. Some of them are doing everything they possibly can to convince themselves Kerfoot is a better fit than Kadri was for them. Even going so far as to believe his ridiculous shooting percentage and on ice shot percentages wont fall back down to Earth.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Unless the Leafs win a cup/extend Barrie this will look bad for them.

I don't think they have the team to win it all and they barely have any cap space to re-sign Barrie.

Reactions: MarkT and Koolboss

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

No coach would intentionally make his players play worse just for them to be easier to resign. That is actually an insulting accusation on Babcock's integrity.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IMO Kerfoot will always have a high shooting % because he doesn't shoot often and when he does it is because the odds of scoring are well in his favor. It happens quite often with guys that overpass.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
No coach would intentionally make his players play worse just for them to be easier to resign. That is actually an insulting accusation on Babcock's integrity.
I should have phrased that better (I’m joking obviously) I’m not saying that’s the only factor but it’s certainly going to be a byproduct of Reilly playing the PP1. No coach is going to bring in a new player and put him in over a player who has played within the system for years and has similar offensive production. To be fair babs has questionable lineup decisions anyways. You know... Matthews Tavares playing 18 mins.

Anyways I didn’t come here to de-rail this thread, I was more curious if Barrie was always a high volume shooter from the point.

Last edited:

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
IMO Kerfoot will always have a high shooting % because he doesn't shoot often and when he does it is because the odds of scoring are well in his favor. It happens quite often with guys that overpass.
Alex Tanguay says hello. However, Kerfs numbers aren’t sustainable at this point IMO. There’s no doubt in any logical leafs fan that Kadri is by far the better centre.

Reactions: Murzu

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Alex Tanguay says hello. However, Kerfs numbers aren’t sustainable at this point IMO. There’s no doubt in any logical leafs fan that Kadri is by far the better centre.
Never said it was sustainable. I said he will probably always have a high shooting %. His career number is 17%.

Not sure why you bring up Tanguay. I'm pretty sure he had a higher than average % as well. Not sure where to find that data though.

geofff

Aug 12, 2014
www.makeitsostudios.com
Never said it was sustainable. I said he will probably always have a high shooting %. His career number is 17%.

Not sure why you bring up Tanguay. I'm pretty sure he had a higher than average % as well. Not sure where to find that data though.
His point was that Tanguay is the same, didn't shoot much so he had a high shooting %. Career 18.6%. Alex Tanguay Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad