Confirmed with Link: COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I see Barrie's ceiling this year around 50-60. He's on the second PP unit which has sucked so far and he's not going to supplant Rielly in terms of being the #1 guy on the back end from an offense perspective. Plus being paired with Muzzin he's going to get harder defensive matchups and usage. He will still rack up 5v5 points though because the Leafs play at a high pace and score a lot up and down the lineup.

I'm not so sure about the racking up points thing. Sure he'll put up points if for no other reason than he's a pretty good passer and has a decent shot. But the way he produced most of his points in the past was through the powerplay and jumping up into the play. We already know his powerplay numbers will take a hit, and Babcock seems to be coaching him to stay up at the point and not try to create odd-man rushes.

I keep watching Leafs games and there are moments when my brain goes "and here comes Barrie rushing in on the back side ready to make a play" and it doesn't happen.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Is Kerfoot really hitting more? He is at 12 hits already on the season when in his first two years he had like 60 combined.

Either they hand hits out East more easily or he is basically a younger, cheaper, more aggressive and better defensive Kadri.

Lost the trade.

Reactions: TopCheese

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Is Kerfoot really hitting more? He is at 12 hits already on the season when in his first two years he had like 60 combined.

Either they hand hits out East more easily or he is basically a younger, cheaper, more aggressive and better defensive Kadri.

Lost the trade.

Hits, like takeaways/giveaways, are notorious for varying from rink to rink, and team to team. I wouldn't put too much into it either way.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I see Barrie's ceiling this year around 50-60. He's on the second PP unit which has sucked so far and he's not going to supplant Rielly in terms of being the #1 guy on the back end from an offense perspective. Plus being paired with Muzzin he's going to get harder defensive matchups and usage. He will still rack up 5v5 points though because the Leafs play at a high pace and score a lot up and down the lineup.

The logic doesnt really check out here.... Barrie in Colorado his last year was getting Top PP time on one of the best PP units in the league. And his usage on 5on5 saw him getting a lot of offensive zone starts and shifts with the Avs top line.

In Toronto hes going to get less favorable PP time, and partnered with Muzzin and playing more tougher defensive minutes as well.

Doesnt make a lot of sense to still be expecting upwards of 60 points in less favorable conditions for him to succeed in Toronto. I actually think ~50 is where he winds up but without the PP time I could see 40-45 being the number in the end.

Reactions: MarkT

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The logic doesnt really check out here.... Barrie in Colorado his last year was getting Top PP time on one of the best PP units in the league. And his usage on 5on5 saw him getting a lot of offensive zone starts and shifts with the Avs top line.

In Toronto hes going to get less favorable PP time, and partnered with Muzzin and playing more tougher defensive minutes as well.

Doesnt make a lot of sense to still be expecting upwards of 60 points in less favorable conditions for him to succeed in Toronto. I actually think ~50 is where he winds up but without the PP time I could see 40-45 being the number in the end.
I said ceiling, not necessarily what is likely, 60 is the absolute max and I think that is farfetched myself; nowhere did I say upwards of 60. In terms of what's more likely he'll probably fall somewhere in the 45-50 range.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm not so sure about the racking up points thing. Sure he'll put up points if for no other reason than he's a pretty good passer and has a decent shot. But the way he produced most of his points in the past was through the powerplay and jumping up into the play. We already know his powerplay numbers will take a hit, and Babcock seems to be coaching him to stay up at the point and not try to create odd-man rushes.

I keep watching Leafs games and there are moments when my brain goes "and here comes Barrie rushing in on the back side ready to make a play" and it doesn't happen.
The thing is the Leafs have really good scoring distribution throughout the lineup. No disrespect to the Avalanche, but most of your scoring was concentrated in one line last year, which is why I imagine the trade for Kadri was made. The Leafs had 7 players who scored 20 goals or more, and 10 that scored double digit goals. 8 players also scored 40+ pts, and 10 that cracked 30+ pts.

As a team the Leafs also generate a ton of scoring chances at 5v5, they are #2 this year in Scoring Chances/60 minutes, as well as #1 in shot attempts/60. Last year they were the 2nd highest 5v5 scoring team and were top 3-5 in all the scoring chance and shots for metrics.

By virtue of that alone Barrie will probably pick up a lot of assists. Gardiner had 52 pts in 2018 (only 5 goals) and Barrie is essentially playing a similar role to him this year.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Awww come on. There’s at least 3 reasonable people on our board lmao.

Barrie sucks and his early season struggles reflects his true abilities.

Leafs gave us Kadri which is exactly the player the AVs needed.

Buckwheat - Clap.gif

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada

Lost the trade.
Kerfoot has been excellent for the leafs so far, a lot better than I was expecting. Has way more hustle and grit than i thought and has good offensive IQ. Barrie on the other hand has not been that noticeable, good or bad. Hoping its just a case of adjusting to a new team and he picks it up

Reactions: flyfysher

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Kerfoot has been excellent for the leafs so far, a lot better than I was expecting. Has way more hustle and grit than i thought and has good offensive IQ. Barrie on the other hand has not been that noticeable, good or bad. Hoping its just a case of adjusting to a new team and he picks it up

I'm pleased the TML fans like Kerfoot and his production. Admittedly, I couldn't stand Kerfoot as his style of play just did not fit in Colorado. But he seemingly fits in well in Toronto and does well in their system. Good all around. And I'm thrilled with Rosen as part of the return. Kerfoot's situation is analogous to Jost's. A lot of Avs fans are ready to trade him and he had not contributed a lot offensively earlier. He needs to breakout this season and show more consistent offensive production. Maybe they aren't the greatest fit here. But let's not undervalue them either in trying to trade away an asset.

Each of us knows what we got and needed in Kadri and Barrie. It was a great hockey trade. I cannot speak for TML fans but I'm certain the majority of Avs fans approved of the trade even though Barrie was a fan favorite here.

Reactions: Patagonia

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
I'm pleased the TML fans like Kerfoot and his production. Admittedly, I couldn't stand Kerfoot as his style of play just did not fit in Colorado. But he seemingly fits in well in Toronto and does well in their system. Good all around. And I'm thrilled with Rosen as part of the return. Kerfoot's situation is analogous to Jost's. A lot of Avs fans are ready to trade him and he had not contributed a lot offensively earlier. He needs to breakout this season and show more consistent offensive production. Maybe they aren't the greatest fit here. But let's not undervalue them either in trying to trade away an asset.

Each of us knows what we got and needed in Kadri and Barrie. It was a great hockey trade. I cannot speak for TML fans but I'm certain the majority of Avs fans approved of the trade even though Barrie was a fan favorite here.
agreed. The fact that most leafs fans and most avs fans think that their teams won the trade shows that it was a win win. Both teams acquired players that fit their system / needs.

Reactions: MarkT and flyfysher

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Let's not forget that Avs fans love Kerfoot at first, too.
Definitely not all. I didn’t like that he made the team as a rookie and wanted him sent down to San Antonio. My hatred for him dates back to rookie camp that first year lol.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Kerfoot always starts the year well and then slowly declines as he wears down from the rigors of an NHL schedule.

Barrie will likely do the opposite. He generally starts a bit slow and then gets better as the year goes on.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can't remember if I voiced the concern at the time of the trade or not but I wouldn't be surprised if Barrie is being a little restrained by Babcock. If he's forcing Barrie to play like Rielly and rely more on long passing to galvanize the offense instead of letting him loose to jump into the play, then that's a huge problem.

Or maybe it's just Barrie on a bit of a cold streak, which isn't a big deal. I haven't seen much of the Leafs games this year so I really don't know. I still think he should be the guy QBing the top power play.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I can't remember if I voiced the concern at the time of the trade or not but I wouldn't be surprised if Barrie is being a little restrained by Babcock. If he's forcing Barrie to play like Rielly and rely more on long passing to galvanize the offense instead of letting him loose to jump into the play, then that's a huge problem.

Or maybe it's just Barrie on a bit of a cold streak, which isn't a big deal. I haven't seen much of the Leafs games this year so I really don't know. I still think he should be the guy QBing the top power play.

Barrie, understandably, hates his teammates and wants O.U.T!

Reactions: Pokecheque

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There’s no way Barrie re-signs in Toronto.

If they put him on the top pp and give him leash to play his own game 5v5 he’s going to score too much for them to be able to afford him.

If they don’t do those things for Tyson he’s going to tell them to shove it and will sign with a team who uses him properly.

Reactions: Avs71

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Kerfoot always starts the year well and then slowly declines as he wears down from the rigors of an NHL schedule.

Barrie will likely do the opposite. He generally starts a bit slow and then gets better as the year goes on.

Kerfoot is a nice fit on the 3rd line for the Leafs. Barrie benefited under the AVs being on the PP. I just cannot see him improving to the same level under the Leafs and less likely to extend.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Lets wait a few more months to see what Leaf fans think of Selke Kerfoot. The honeymoon is still on and Kerfoot is probably playing his best hockey right now like he usually does.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Lets wait a few more months to see what Leaf fans think of Selke Kerfoot. The honeymoon is still on and Kerfoot is probably playing his best hockey right now like he usually does.

Kerfoot playing the 3rd line is perfect. Bednar had him playing beyond his abilities including 1st and PP options. He is exactly where he should be.

Barrie is more difficult. Excellent on the PP and feeding passes to the top line. Relegated to the 2nd line, there is less opportunity. Fans will consider him a disappointment. Still early, but doubtful he’ll improve much further to justify the rumoured $8M+ per he’s seeking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad