Confirmed with Link: COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
How does Toronto even get out of the mess they are in? I mean the offense on paper is so good but they are barely hanging on to playoffs.

Where do they even go from here with their salary cap tied up? How do they fix their defense issues?? Big mess

Leafs overpaid for their players and it’s going to worse after each year. They should consider dumping AM and MM which accounts for 20+% of their cap. Send them to teams with deep prospects and committed to rebuild quickly.

AM - AZ, NYR or CAR
MM - LAK, CHI or PHI

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How does Toronto even get out of the mess they are in? I mean the offense on paper is so good but they are barely hanging on to playoffs.

Where do they even go from here with their salary cap tied up? How do they fix their defense issues?? Big mess

They need to learn the lesson from the Duchene era Avs. Improve the defensive ability of the defense, or you'll never get anywhere with your rebuild, and will need a 2.0 and possibly 3.0 version to get it right.

Doesn't matter how good you are offensively, no team is going anywhere with a bad defensive core, outside a year or two of outlier seasons with a red hot goalie, or a bunch of bounces going their way.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This comment right there

2wr5tyM.png

Dude was on pace for 30 goals before the injury. Sure he takes some penalties, but he draws a ton too.

upload_2020-2-17_17-56-30.gif

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ha. Who could’ve seen that one coming? But leafs fans were absolutely not having it when he signed that contract.

The hate on Barrie is a little surprising. Everyone knew he wasn’t going to solve their problem but I still thought he’d put up a ton of points there.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Ha. Who could’ve seen that one coming? But leafs fans were absolutely not having it when he signed that contract.

The hate on Barrie is a little surprising. Everyone knew he wasn’t going to solve their problem but I still thought he’d put up a ton of points there.
I mean he has 26 points in 36 games since Babcock got fired. Or his usual pace of 60 points so the points are 100% there.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In that case, what are they complaining about?
That he isn't a 1D probably. Since Keefe took over he's played exactly how he has over his whole career, high risk and high reward. But he wasn't the type of dman they needed so now they're putting all the blame on the new guy.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
How do they get out of this mess? It's not rocket surgery, but their fans won't like it. Gonna have to trade some guys making big $$$ for some 3rd/4th line grit, Dmen, and let Barrie walk. Maybe even take a step back for a year or two to get out of it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How do they get out of this mess? It's not rocket surgery, but their fans won't like it. Gonna have to trade some guys making big $$$ for some 3rd/4th line grit, Dmen, and let Barrie walk. Maybe even take a step back for a year or two to get out of it.

Trading Nylander at the draft for a two way defenseman should be step 1.

TBH, trading Barrie at the deadline for the best deal on the table should be step 1, but I'm not sure if they'll do it while they're in a playoff spot. Unless it's for another vet defenseman in a hockey trade.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Leafs have a history of overpaying their players. Zaitsev has one good year playing in the NHL, and they decide to give him a ridiculous 7-year extension, which immediately blows up in front of them. The Marleau signing was expensive for a guy who was clearly on the tail end of his career and wouldn't play out the entire contract in Toronto. Marner is a great player but I would not have given him a contract that made him among the Top 5 NHL leaders in cap hit. Then there was the Kessel contract which tanked his trade value.

All those moves add up.

It means less cap space (Leafs will have Kessel's cap hit for another two seasons) than you should have for the players on the roster, less tradeable assets (1st rounder used to trade Marleau, Connor Brown sent to Ottawa), which subsequently leaves less options to build a contender.

I don't see them really reaching the contender status without a major move like trading one of Marner or Nylander for a true top pairing defenseman that can play with Rielly.

Reactions: Kaizer

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
They either need to go the Penguins route and roll 2 high profile centers or they need to trade some of their more expensive depth options, such as Kapanen, Johnsson, etc. The big problem I think is Matthews doesn't have the two way game that Crosby, Malkin or Tavares have. I think Leafs fans were hoping that would develop by now.

Kerfoot isn't a bad option for them in regards to the deal. Where they screwed up was in getting Barrie. Every and their mother knew he wasn't the right fit. Nice to see him bounce back. Still think hes gonna get paid and he will succeed if hes used right.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
They either need to go the Penguins route and roll 2 high profile centers or they need to trade some of their more expensive depth options, such as Kapanen, Johnsson, etc. The big problem I think is Matthews doesn't have the two way game that Crosby, Malkin or Tavares have. I think Leafs fans were hoping that would develop by now.

Kerfoot isn't a bad option for them in regards to the deal. Where they screwed up was in getting Barrie. Every and their mother knew he wasn't the right fit. Nice to see him bounce back. Still think hes gonna get paid and he will succeed if hes used right.

Matthews is horrendous defensively. He just doesn't care and shows no effort. You can't win with guys like him as the leader of your young core. Same with Marner.

It doesn't help that they quit on Babs and Keefe can't say anything to them. They are entitled little rich brats.

I'd keep Tavares as a 1C and ship out Marner and Matthews hoping to add a 1D and a good 2 way winger. Trade Barrie at the deadline for a 1st and prospect. Keep their depth guys.

Reactions: snowkiddin

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
In Leafs practice, Barrie is on the third pairing with Marincin.

When was the last time Barrie was a third pairing defenseman on the Avs?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In Leafs practice, Barrie is on the third pairing with Marincin.

When was the last time Barrie was a third pairing defenseman on the Avs?

Toronto is doing what the Avs did with Barrie. Moving him around pairings and playing situationally. Barrie is playing ~2:30 more per game than Muzzin in Feb and since Reilly went down, a minute more than any other defender.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Can't defend.

They knew what they were getting, and his defense improved exponentially.
Barrie knew it was an area he could focus on, as did Colorado, and the world:
Barrie improving his defensive game for Avalanche

They got exactly what they wanted from him, and he hasn't regressed. Their fans need to give him time to become acclimated to their style and build chemistry.

I'd have him back here in a heartbeat if it were for picks.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Leafs will get there, it's just not happening this year. Way too many things tripping them up.

I'm not sure about that... their best two chances were last year and this year. They will enter cap hell next year with very little on defense that will likely cause a ~2 year reset. By that time Andersen and Reilly are either out or paid a huge amount, Nylander and Matthews will be close to UFA status, Tavares will be way past his prime... IMO they will need to make some major changes to the make up to the team to contend after this season.

Reactions: MarkT and Koolboss

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not sure about that... their best two chances were last year and this year. They will enter cap hell next year with very little on defense that will likely cause a ~2 year reset. By that time Andersen and Reilly are either out or paid a huge amount, Nylander and Matthews will be close to UFA status, Tavares will be way past his prime... IMO they will need to make some major changes to the make up to the team to contend after this season.

Not sure I agree with that. I think Sandin and Liljegren will be a very solid pairing for them, Dermott should be fully healthy (I don't think he is at present), and they'll have Rielly and Muzzin on the back end in key roles. Throw in Holl and I think that's a really good, if not quite elite, defense.

Depth will be an issue going forward, yes, but I don't think this team has hit its "prime" yet. Mind you I think the next two seasons are crucial. I agree by the time 2022 rolls around they'll be in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille