Confirmed with Link: COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Is it possible this trade actually made both teams a bit worse? (At least in the short term for us, if Barrie would have walked anyways).

AVs vastly improved. Leafs got worse. Consider the roles needed by each team.

AVs needed a 2C, AHL depth and another pick to replenish moving their 2nd & 3rd selections. Kadri fits their needs perfectly, Rosen adds LHD depth and 3rd is better than the 6th. Leafs needed a RHD defensive player and replacement 3C. Barrie is great offensively, but below average defensively. Kerfoot is likely better suited as a 3rd line Winger, too small and slow to play on the top lines.

Leafs completely misread their needs and worse is Barrie is likely gone after this season and Kerfoot is struggling. AVs will have Kadri on a cheap deal for another few years and Rosen could be a callup or packaged in a trade.

AVs clearly became better and easily won this trade.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'd argue the Avalanche won this trade and that Toronto lost it, but the potential was there for both teams to win it.

Barrie was misused early on and while he's turned his season around, it's been too little, too late for Toronto. Meanwhile...while he drove me nuts at times when he was with the Avalanche, the expectations placed on Alex Kerfoot before his Maple Leaf debut were insane.

It was a minor miracle that Kerfoot cracked 40 points last season (only because he was played on God's line the final two+ weeks of the season due to injuries), but reading articles online would lead you to believe that not only was Kerfoot a better value than Kadri financially, but that he was a flat out better player. There was additional significant chatter that Kerfoot was an elite defensive forward and would transform the Leafs penalty kill, despite never being used in the role with the Avalanche.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say 22 points and 0:15 ATOI/PK isn't what Leafs fans/media/management had in mind through 51 games.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I read Kadri is out indefinitely?

Would you guys like a lightly used Barrie for your injured Kadri?

I want him back so bad (aka, hated the trade from the get go)

We called no take-backsies.

Joking aside I believe thanks to the cap retention on Barrie we couldn't trade for him if we wanted to.

Reactions: Balthazar

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I read Kadri is out indefinitely?

Would you guys like a lightly used Barrie for your injured Kadri?

I want him back so bad (aka, hated the trade from the get go)

Can't trade back for a player for whom salary was retained, so it's a moot point.

And truth of the matter is, while Kadri was good value as a 2C, he was overpaid as a 3C. Doesn't really make sense to trade back for him now that the Leafs have committed to AM34 and JT91.

Reactions: DallasGaume

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Kerfoot Is Pretty Meh, Eh?

source.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Quick glance at that thread and it looks like they've turned on both Kerfoot and Barrie.

Must be due to defensive mistakes from Tyson because his scoring picked up after the coaching change. He's gone a bit cold lately though, with only 2 assists in the last 7 games.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Quick glance at that thread and it looks like they've turned on both Kerfoot and Barrie.

Must be due to defensive mistakes from Tyson because his scoring picked up after the coaching change. He's gone a bit cold lately though, with only 2 assists in the last 7 games.
Even with those points they hate Barrie a lot more than they hate Kerfoot.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Fans were saying Barrie was a good acquisition because they needed a RD but honestly, I felt the Leafs needed a legit two-way top pairing defenseman, regardless of shooting side. And we're seeing it in full display this season as the Leafs are among the bottom of the league in goals allowed. While they have had subpar goaltending, the goals last night were emblematic of their flaws: poor decision-making by the defense leading to great offensive chances only elite goaltenders could reliably save.

Kadri's reputation took a dive because of his playoff suspension but he was still Toronto's best asset: still in his prime, cost controlled, redundant position on the team. Package him with a first rounder, a prospect (like Sandin) and you should be able to get a solid upgrade.

Or if the market isn't great, then keep him, wait for him to boost his value and try again later because he's still signed for more years. Guys on the team liked him, he bled blue and white, and he provided a bit of edge that the Leafs lack.

Instead they got a Reilly-lite who is most likely going to walk and a solid third liner.

To me, massively upgrading the second center position without giving up a first rounder / elite level prospect was a homerun by Sakic. It sucks to lose Barrie, but with his upcoming salary bump and the defense we have in the coming years it's not a big deal.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
How does Toronto even get out of the mess they are in? I mean the offense on paper is so good but they are barely hanging on to playoffs.

Where do they even go from here with their salary cap tied up? How do they fix their defense issues?? Big mess

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
How does Toronto even get out of the mess they are in? I mean the offense on paper is so good but they are barely hanging on to playoffs.

Where do they even go from here with their salary cap tied up? How do they fix their defense issues?? Big mess

A solution from left field: Chinese leg-lengthening surgery for Tyson Barrie.

That will reduce his point total this season and make him cheaper to re-sign. When he comes back, #1 Dman. The only issue is getting Barrie strapped to the gurney.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Oh come on, it's not THAT bad. :laugh: They have some really good prospects who look like they'll be ready for NHL time and some, but not a ton, of salary is coming off the books.

They got off to a bad start thanks to Babcock trying to torpedo the team, then hit a really bad rut right before the All-Star break because the goaltending imploded. And now they're getting killed by injuries. They're still a good team, but I'm sure they're obviously disappointed with the results. I'm convinced Babcock was pretty much gone after this season no matter what, they just figured they'd try and load up one more time, hence the Kadri/Barrie deal.

I'm guessing they will re-up Muzzin and let Barrie walk, Dermott will probably sign a bridge deal of some kind, Rielly will be back and healthy, and they'll have the rest of the defense rounded out by Holl, Sandin, and Liljegren. That's actually a pretty good defensive corps on paper. Up front they've obviously got the "Big Four" and a good supporting cast, but I imagine they'll want to swing some kind of deal to improve themselves.

Keefe will also bring in his own assistants, so it's bye-bye to guys like Hakstol, who, rightly or wrongly, was blamed for the Leafs offense collapsing this season.

And it still makes a small difference in the long run that the dead money they've been carrying with Clarkson and Horton comes clean off the books. It didn't count against the cap but it also required them to do some maneuvering in the offseason IIRC that they won't have to worry about going forward.

The big question for me remains in goal. Freddy is prone to some pretty bad stretches, but I can't help but wonder if it's because he's simply been overworked. Maybe with Campbell they'll FINALLY have an actual tandem, but they simply couldn't continue with Hutchinson.

This is absolutely NOT some untenable situation though. They have an elite center tandem, and two extraordinarily good scoring wingers. On defense they have a tremendous amount of talent, and they have a very good, if not quite elite, goalie.

If you want to see a dire situation, go look at Buffalo. They're the ones in deep shit.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He's not that far off to be honest--Kadri's play-driving numbers are pretty bad. Not at all saying he's a bad player, he's been a tremendous add, but the underlying numbers are simply not great. I think the Avs have done a good job of putting Naz with players who have very good possession metrics so that particular deficit doesn't show as bad.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he and Kerfoot are "comparables" but Kerf is still a serviceable bottom six forward.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
4 points in Kerfoot's last 5 games, plus 1. Also on track to score his normal number of points.
Barrie on pace for 50 odd points (close to his normal scoring rate).

Both players relatively healthy the whole season.

Not sure what Leafs fans expected. Those guys are at least on the ice, and providing pretty well exactly what they did with us?

Lastly, it's when you put on an AVALANCHE jersey, you lift to another level. The league need to realise this :bee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad