Confirmed with Link: COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
he’s not, though. He doesn’t skate above average, he shoots below average, he is a perimeter player. He’s heckin smart, and that covers a lot of his shortcomings, but his shot is a muffin, he isn’t fast, and isn’t creative / skilled. Look at what Grimaldi has done since leaving the Avs; I put players like Gerbe, Grimaldi, and Kerf in the same boat. Not really worth anything, but you can plug them in on the third line and they can be effective.

You're on another planet if you don't think Kerf is a good skater. Even his most ardent detractors here can admit that.

An "average skater" is Jost. Big difference.

I won't argue with you about the other things, I'm just kinda tired of it and he's not with the Avs anymore so it's not necessarily worth my time. But not a good skater? That's just not true.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You're on another planet if you don't think Kerf is a good skater. Even his most ardent detractors here can admit that.

I won't argue with you about the other things, I'm just kinda tired of it and he's not with the Avs anymore so it's not necessarily worth my time. But not a good skater? That's just not true.

I would say Kerfoot was probably the 4th best skater on the team 100% behind Mack and Girard and then in the same range as Compher. That was probably his best attribute as a player imo.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's a good passer, but also not good enough that he can do the no look, behind the back passes to no one that he loves. He killed a lot of momentum last year where he'd get the puck, get into some open space and then just fling it out of the zone because he thought he was being so sneaky.
This is a good way to put it. Kerfoot is capable of making great passes. But he also sends plenty of blind passes perfectly onto the blade of the other team too which prevents me from considering him a good “playmaker”. He has dished out plenty of nice passes for sure. I feel like he has good vision in a way of seeing teammates that a lot of other players wouldn’t see, while also having tunnel vision and only focusing on said teammate while neglecting where everyone on the other team is.

Kerfoot is a real good skater. He’s also not afraid to play in the dirty areas, especially in front of the net.

I don’t miss him at all, but he certainly had some decent qualities. Overall I hated him though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He is a good skater but lack the explosiveness to get himself out of situations where he'd get pushed off the puck by a stronger player, which was the root of 80% of the rage against him here.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya I actually dont think I would call Kerf a particularly great skater. He has/had a lot of the same issues Jost had. He didn't have that explosive step to create enough separation to make up for his size deficiencies.

In terms of pure skating ability he's pretty good I guess. But relative to size I think he was pretty average. Relative to size I'd say he was below Rantanen, Compher, Nieto, Zadorov, and Calvert.

His best asset was and always will be his brain.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado

Fair, I may have been a bit harsh. Skating is probably slightly above average - what makes him look faster than he is (in my opinion) his intelligence. He sees the play, makes smart plays, and often reacts to get to the correct spot a split second quicker. As a result, at times he looks faster than he is. No denying he’s a wicked smaht player, in a way that can’t be coached.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He is a good skater but lack the explosiveness to get himself out of situations where he'd get pushed off the puck by a stronger player, which was the root of 80% of the rage against him here.
He has been playing with John Tavares on the 1st/2nd line. Will see how that works out for us:skeptic:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He has been playing with John Tavares on the 1st/2nd line. Will see how that works out for us:skeptic:
If that's anything like when he played with Mackinnon you probably won't enjoy the experience.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I said it long ago, and I still stand by it... Kerfoot is like PAP. He's a solid player that can help a bad team, but he's not a player you want on a good team.

While I don't think I agree with this being used to describe Kerfoot, I do think there should always be this type of player in the league. I'd gladly welcome guys like that rather than a talentless meathead who runs around injuring guys.

And the patron saint of this type of player you describe has always been Lee Stempniak.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Is it possible this trade actually made both teams a bit worse? (At least in the short term for us, if Barrie would have walked anyways).

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is it possible this trade actually made both teams a bit worse? (At least in the short term for us, if Barrie would have walked anyways).

It didn't make us worse. Without Kadri who's 2C? PEB? JTC? Kerfoot?

Kadri may be very frustrating at times but he's vital to this team.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I said it long ago, and I still stand by it... Kerfoot is like PAP. He's a solid player that can help a bad team, but he's not a player you want on a good team.

Agreed, it's what I was saying last year as well. He'll be productive and have flashes of being a legitimate Top-6 option until your team is ready to compete and then his deficiencies start to really shine through

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Agreed, it's what I was saying last year as well. He'll be productive and have flashes of being a legitimate Top-6 option until your team is ready to compete and then his deficiencies start to really shine through

They wanted him at 3C (that was their plan) but it isn't working so they moved him at wing and now try to play him in the top 6.

He's perpetually stuck in limbo where he shouldn't be in your top 6 but isn't suitable for your bottom 6.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No. Frustrating as he can be at times, Kadri has been a big upgrade at 2C over previous options, not to mention a guy who actually wins faceoffs, which Bednar has been using to his advantage.

Also, ever since Keefe took over, Barrie has been scoring at a perfectly good clip.

It's still a good trade.

Reactions: Koolboss

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
It will be interesting to see what Barrie gets in the free agent market this summer. If he was a UFA last year, I wouldn’t have been shocked if he got close to 8-8.5. This year I’m not too sure he gets there. I guess a lot hinges on the way he plays down the stretch.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If Barrie continues at his current pace under Keefe he will end the season with 56 points. Not bad for the start of the season he had.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

What?? Kadri has been a monster for us.

19 goals, 16 assists, 93 PIMs. On pace for 31 goals. Literally the only guy on our team that can win a faceoff and stick up for our players.

I love the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad