Confirmed with Link: [COL/TOR] Colin Smith & 2016 4th Rd Pick For Shawn Matthias

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So we know the 3rd line(Think it will be a great line btw), what does that leave for the rest of the lineup?

Iggy - Duchene - Greg
Landy - Mack - X
McCleod - Mitchell - Skille

With X I guess being Tanguay? Would look so much better if X was actually Rantanen.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
News came out that the Avs actually assigned #18 to Matthias rather than Matthias getting to choose his number (though he probably would have chosen it if it were available since it is his favorite number). Interesting that the Avs would assign that number to him considering Winchester is still on the roster "technically" for a few more months.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news....al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
News came out that the Avs actually assigned #18 to Matthias rather than Matthias getting to choose his number (though he probably would have chosen it if it were available since it is his favorite number). Interesting that the Avs would assign that number to him considering Winchester is still on the roster "technically" for a few more months.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news....al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I seen that in his interview, but someone had enough knowledge of him back to his days in Florida to give it to him automatically. He said he wore that number for years in Florida and before that as you pointed out.

Honestly, they might have wanted him as a UFA or someone in the organization had seen him enough to know that 18 was his favorite number.

Kind of cool to see a subtle little thing like that regarding a guy they picked up for a 4th rounder. Someone is paying attention to the details.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
i thought i heard the avs have to offer a contract to get the 2nd. is this not true?

Yes although there's some debate as to if that's just the hold his rights "offer" that everyone gets or an actual ELC on the table. The compensation rule is put in place for teams that have the player defect rather than just decide not to sign them, which hasn't happened in over 10 years. The compensatory pick they'd get would be #53 in a draft where the draft scouting community is saying that the draft falls off a cliff at #50 so I doubt our scouts are clamoring to just take the compensation. On a AHL team where they just got rid of one of their better centers, have 2 forwards signed for next year and desperately need organizational depth at center none of that makes sense. If they truly want to be rid of him then he'll get traded. I guess we'll see by Monday what happens.

Is that written anywhere? IRRC Cherry(rip) never got an offer and the rangers still managed to get a 2nd.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I seen that in his interview, but someone had enough knowledge of him back to his days in Florida to give it to him automatically. He said he wore that number for years in Florida and before that as you pointed out.

Honestly, they might have wanted him as a UFA or someone in the organization had seen him enough to know that 18 was his favorite number.

Kind of cool to see a subtle little thing like that regarding a guy they picked up for a 4th rounder. Someone is paying attention to the details.

Honestly I thought it was more likely having an 18 jersey already made and easy to change out.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Honestly I thought it was more likely having an 18 jersey already made and easy to change out.

LOL, could be

That's just a hell of a coincidence, or maybe they just look for players who like the #18 ahead of time because they know they won't last long?

Lets hope if he does not, its in UFA and not a Mueller situation from his buddy Polak.

My 600 lbs Line?

Haha, that might even be closer to 700lbs but that sounds better as the official name for their line.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Just like how Wagner had to wear 36 or whatever it was and Gormley was 46. They have certain things on hand. For 20 games they might not bother with getting something else plus he likes it anyway.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm calling it the MODO line, after Foppa's team and it's a fusion of their names. They should be as beastly as Forsberg at least, but with only 1/2 the talent.. combined.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Matthias is going to be a very nice addition to the team. He's big, he can skate, he is decent along the boards, he protects the puck nicely, he seems to have a decent awareness in the defensive zone, and he has some puck skills. He's not a big banger but he uses his size effectively.

I like the Soderberg, Matthias, Comeau line a lot. If tonight is a glimpse of what Matthias brings to the team then I hope the Avs sign him before he hits free agency.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Just call up Rantanen already.

92/29/96
25/9/12
18/34/14
55/7/8

I like Tanguay, but he's been garbage all year. He's slow, weak, pass happy, and when he does shoot it he misses the net high or wide by what seems like 5 feet.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If Lecavalier and Richards can find teams that were willing to gamble on them, I can't see why Tanguay can't. He at least had a productive season last year.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'd rather keep Tanguay for a playoff run and the chance to retire an Av than get the 5th-7th round pick he might return. This is of course assuming he wants to stay and not chase the cup.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd rather keep Tanguay for a playoff run and the chance to retire an Av than get the 5th-7th round pick he might return. This is of course assuming he wants to stay and not chase the cup.

For me it's not about the return, it's about the exchange. I don't care if we traded Tanguay for future considerations, but the thought of a Landy-Mack-Rantanen line is droolworthy and the only way Tanguay isn't a regular in this lineup is if he isn't part of the team. No way Roy scratches him and he's too soft for the 4th line.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
As I fully expected, felt Matthias was very solid in his debut. Some misplays with the puck but was big, strong, won a lot of battles. Is really a perfect fit for how Roy wants to play the game.

If he can keep that up somewhat consistently they'll definitely sign him to an extension.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Yeah that Matthias-Coral-Comeau line was pretty good last night, went to the net and did the dirty things needed to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

They still desperately need to upgrade on Tangs and that 6th D slot, though.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Yeah that Matthias-Coral-Comeau line was pretty good last night, went to the net and did the dirty things needed to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

They still desperately need to upgrade on Tangs and that 6th D slot, though.
Totally agree.

Tanguay is really bad right now. He's even losing his ability to make a simple pass. It's really painful to watch.

Another top 4 d-man would be ideal right now too. Holden has been playing poorly lately and dropping him down to the 3rd pairing while having Bodnarchuk sit in the stands would be a huge boost to the D. Of course, getting a top 4 D-man right now is not likely or would cost a lot in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad