Confirmed with Link: [COL/TOR] Colin Smith & 2016 4th Rd Pick For Shawn Matthias

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Colin Smith having a big game today. 1+1. +3 today on a line with Carrick and Frattin. By far the best line on the Marlies today. He's looking good in my first viewing of him. Bottom 6 potential.

Yeah because being good offensively in the AHL translates to energy/grinding lines in the NHL. Also a big assumption to make in your first viewing. Hope he does work out for you though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Colin Smith having a big game today. 1+1. +3 today on a line with Carrick and Frattin. By far the best line on the Marlies today. He's looking good in my first viewing of him. Bottom 6 potential.

Nahhhhh, he's one of those top 6 in either the NHL or AHL. His game doesn't really have the strengths to be a bottom 6 player in the NHL. I will say is if he gets physically stronger he will be in the NHL as a 2nd liner, his talent was never really a question IMO. But that might be a couple more offseasons down the road. Avs are closer in the playoff hunt than the Leafs who can spend their time with him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Is it too soon to re-sign Matthias? He has been such an outstanding fit.

Take the goals out of the equation, and he's still been a great fit. Big body, great powerful long strides that make him really quick out there, finishes checks, sound defensively, great on the PK, outstanding in the offensive zone corners chipping pucks free, outstanding protecting the puck and maintaining possession, really great behind the net with that long reach sending passes to the slot, and best of all when his linemates have the puck, he goes straight to the net and stays there every time. Plus he's shown a great finish on his shots.

Different players but it reminds me a lot of how great Barnaby fit in right off the bat. The Matthias-Soda-Comeau line reminded me a lot of the KGB line. It looks even more like it with Landy playing the Kono role.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Matthias may not be a superstar but if he keeps playing like he has for the Avs he's exactly the type of player that could help the Avs get to, and possibly even win in, the playoffs.

He has done so many things right for the Avs he's the perfect fit right now.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
We really, really needed a guy who could do all of those things and reliably score those greasy goals in and around the crease. If he plays too well though he'll price himself right out of CO.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
We really, really needed a guy who could do all of those things and reliably score those greasy goals in and around the crease. If he plays too well though he'll price himself right out of CO.

I doubt it. Only the last 20 games, and he played a full season in Vancouver and never had any takers. I think he'll be happy with the Avs, knowing that under Roy he'll get solid minutes.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Matthias may not be a superstar but if he keeps playing like he has for the Avs he's exactly the type of player that could help the Avs get to, and possibly even win in, the playoffs.

He has done so many things right for the Avs he's the perfect fit right now.

Or we'll give him a 3 year deal, and he'll go back to looking like he did in Toronto.

I hope the front office has learned to stay away from term on depth guys.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I believe Robin made a point regarding this type of situation anyways. Either we need to sign Matthias( or someone like him) or we'll just keep throwing away assets trading for these type of players at the deadline every season.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Matthias certainly had good things to say about the organization in his post game presser. I'm hoping he enjoys his stay in Denver enough to sign a reasonable extension.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't overpay but when you find a good depth guy that fits you should try to keep them. I really like what Matthias has brought and I heard his comments too, he seems to like this team. If it takes a 2 year deal that's ok.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Matthias certainly had good things to say about the organization in his post game presser. I'm hoping he enjoys his stay in Denver enough to sign a reasonable extension.

The whole time he's been here he's seemed to really enjoy playing on this team. I think he fits in perfectly personality wise with this team too. Bet he could turn into a real leader in the room if he sticks around.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Matthias' fit so far reminds me of what Winnik did for this team while he was here. Nobody has really filled that role effectively since he left, so it's good to get a truly capable 200 foot guy for the 3rd line.

I'd offer him an extension of two years right now, at the same money he's making (two years at 2.25 per). I'm sure he'd take it after being a bit of a suitcase the last couple seasons.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I would think he would take a bit of a cut for a two year deal. He knows he was overpaid in TO, but if he can keep it up, he is easily worth $1.75M x 2 years.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I know Matthias has been pretty much the perfect fit for this team but I'm hesitant to give him a new contract right now. He has always had hot streaks in March and he still is brand new to the team. Lets wait till that new car smell wears off before giving this guy a contract we regret.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
I know Matthias has been pretty much the perfect fit for this team but I'm hesitant to give him a new contract right now. He has always had hot streaks in March and he still is brand new to the team. Lets wait till that new car smell wears off before giving this guy a contract we regret.

Hot streaks in March are a good thing. Hot streaks in October not so much.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He has had some good games but also a few where he didn't look so great IMO. Hold off on a possible extension until after the season. Seven games is way too small of a sample size.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
At this point with Matthias, you pretty much know what you are going to get. It isn't like the guy is new to the NHL. His 7 year resume pretty much speaks for itself. He is a solid 3rd liner that you can count on being somewhere in the 20s in points and teens in goals while playing a solid 200' game. If you can get him for 2 or under for 2-3 years, that is a pretty solid deal IMO. The only issue there is you have to find a way to dump salary elsewhere to sign Boedker/Radulov/top 6 replacement.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The problem is you don't know what you're going to get with him. One of the main criticisms of him is that he doesn't always hustle and play physical and he has long stretches where he's not doing much.

Sorry but some people are way too quick to pull the trigger on extensions. Like giving Skille 3 years after about 25 games earlier this season. No harm is just letting it play out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The problem is you don't know what you're going to get with him. One of the main criticisms of him is that he doesn't always hustle and play physical and he has long stretches where he's not doing much.

He is inconsistent... always has been, always will be. That is why with his skill set he is a 3rd liner instead of a top 6 guy.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

I think it would be best to get MacK and Barrie signed first as well. IMO, that 3rd line spot should be last on our list of priorities (MacK, Barrie, Top6- Boedker/Radulov/etc, Grigo, bottom pair- if it's still needed, Pickard, then Bottom 6- Matthias/Whoever)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad