Confirmed with Link: [COL/TOR] Colin Smith & 2016 4th Rd Pick For Shawn Matthias

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I wonder if rantanen will come up after the deadline. If Tanguay/Mitchell are traded and no one is brought in then the Avs would bring up rantanen imo.

Landy - Mack - rantanen
Grigorenko - Duchene - iginla
Mathias - soderberg - Comeau
McLeod - Wagner - skille/martinsen.

Out Tanguay, Mitchell 4th Colin smith. In 2 3rd round picks and Mathias

I would be ok with that deadline. If Mathias plays well re-sign him. One year 1 mil same with skille.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
Not sure if this has been asked or not but do you guys think that the Avs will be making many moves? Looking at this deal, it is seems like we will be buyers but how realistic would it be that we go for a big addition?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They might make a similar move for a D. They might also make a few AHL type moves. I think they make a big move if something clicks and they hit on something they've been waiting for. I think they are active and talk about a lot of things but will only do a deal if it's right. So if something big finally falls into place could be a big surprise but I don't think so and it's not limited to just the deadline. I think they are always thinking/talking on those.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I can def. see them swapping some minor contracts seeing as how Smith is donezos. Deal with some team looking to offload some AHLers they have signed past this year.
But who knows with these guys.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The ONLY AHL players they have signed for next season are Martin, Geertsen, Clark, Corbett, Bourke and Henley. They can do almost anything they want with the team down there. They can load it up Leafs style with prospects and there's quite a few they could sign, they could bring in a ton of AHL vets and grind their way to the playoffs, they could bring in a bunch of Euros and new faces to the org or they could re-sign a lot of the guys and bring very much the same team back. What they do there this summer will be a big indication of where they want to go with the foundation of the org. Getting rid of Smith signals a big change is coming and we'll see if any other guys get moved out. Smith might not have had a future with the Avs but he was the best forward on the Rampage (after you know who) and I thought was a decent candidate to come back. They qualified Hishon twice, Agozzino once, it's not like they've dumped every single small forward the second they could. On a team that's struggled greatly to get any sort of skill in the lineup I just find curious is all. I don't mind that they traded Smith, I just wonder what the plan is here.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
the one playing with tanguay.

Tanguay is a ball-and-chain around the ankle of any linemate he plays with. I understand Patrick's respect for the guy, but enough already. #40's shelf life has EXPIRED.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Tanguay is a ball-and-chain around the ankle of any linemate he plays with. I understand Patrick's respect for the guy, but enough already. #40's shelf life has EXPIRED.

I wonder when I see him play and not produce why they dont bring in some one, anyone hishon etc

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I expect several moves in the next week, none of any consequence. I do hope we swap Siemens for something, anything. And if Bleackley doesn't have a place here, go ahead and move him too. Still not sure why he isn't signed.

Edit: Oops, meant to post in the rumors thread.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I expect several moves in the next week, none of any consequence. I do hope we swap Siemens for something, anything. And if Bleackley doesn't have a place here, go ahead and move him too. Still not sure why he isn't signed.

To get a 2nd round? Probably won't get anything better than a 2nd anyway.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
i thought i heard the avs have to offer a contract to get the 2nd. is this not true?

Yes although there's some debate as to if that's just the hold his rights "offer" that everyone gets or an actual ELC on the table. The compensation rule is put in place for teams that have the player defect rather than just decide not to sign them, which hasn't happened in over 10 years. The compensatory pick they'd get would be #53 in a draft where the draft scouting community is saying that the draft falls off a cliff at #50 so I doubt our scouts are clamoring to just take the compensation. On a AHL team where they just got rid of one of their better centers, have 2 forwards signed for next year and desperately need organizational depth at center none of that makes sense. If they truly want to be rid of him then he'll get traded. I guess we'll see by Monday what happens.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Its interesting that so many scouts believe this draft goes really downhill around #50.

I think it could mean we actually see a lot more buying this year then in the last couple of years, because teams right on the playoff bubble or going for the cup also recognize that this year those 3rd, 4th, 5ths and even some 2nd's just aren't worth what they normally might be?

But yet, of all the trades made so far leading up to the deadline, only the Avs have actually moved a 2016 pick. WSH today moved a 2017 3rd, and SJS yesterday moved 2017 and 2018 2nds.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hm, good point and you are right, teams probably should be trying to move this year's mid-late round picks.

As I said in the other thread, Ive come around to see for the move that was made it was a good deal here. I just hope that picks don't always have to flow in the out direction. We'll see what happens by Monday though.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Looking forward to tonight. Given how many minutes the line usually plays, it's hard to call it Colorado's third line. But Matthias - Soderberg - Comeau will be one of the best third lines in the NHL.

Too bad Tanguay is struggling so horribly playing on the second line. :help:

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'm pretty excited to see how this Matthias-Soda-Comeau line looks. Definitely think it could be a big improvement to get a line like this set and have one less juggling-job going on in the lineup.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
That line is like 650 pounds combined. Love it. Hoping that's our big, cycling, wear-'em-down unit.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That line is like 650 pounds combined. Love it. Hoping that's our big, cycling, wear-'em-down unit.

I'd temper my expectations there. Comeau isn't a consistent enough puck mover to really keep a cycle going. I still think Soderberg with Comeau is a waste of Soda's setup talents, hopefully he'll have somebody on the left now to deliver those sweet passes to.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'd temper my expectations there. Comeau isn't a consistent enough puck mover to really keep a cycle going. I still think Soderberg with Comeau is a waste of Soda's setup talents, hopefully he'll have somebody on the left now to deliver those sweet passes to.

I tend to disagree with most opinions of Comeau. He had a bad stretch of 5-6 games, but for the most part I really like his versatility. He can play different types of styles. He can be a shooter on an up tempo unit, he can cycle when needed, he can support defensively, etc. I think he's a fantastic match with Soda, they play off of each other's strengths and have developed good chemistry offensively. The number of behind-the-back passes Soda makes to Comeau, or how Lake hits Soda on the breakout with speed; good examples of the chemistry they've developed. I like them together. I want Matthias to keep it simple... crash and bang, drive the net, make simple plays with the puck on your stick... and I think it could be a really good 3rd line.

It's not quite a Kono-Gratton-Barnaby line, but it will get the job done effectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad